PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help here -

robdaniel1
06-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Supra 2001 350 Indmar Assault with 320 Hp.
Cracked Block between 4 & 6. No idea how it happened? Boat never got hot?

My mechanic suggests ordering long block 383. A little more torque and HP.
This is not an absolute, the 350 was fine. But as long as I am changing?

He will swap remaininig pieces from current engine and put on Long Block replacing seals etc..

Here is where I need the help:
Reputable rebuilder. There are 100's of companies that do this, not sure of the reputations?There is no core replacement on my engine due to the cracked block.

The other possibility would be to order a crate engine.

Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks,

Rob

knoble
06-06-2009, 12:28 PM
All you really need is a short block. You can reuse your heads and top end (Intake, and al other parts). I would gets the head rebuilt just to freshen them up. You do need brass freeze plugs in the block and heads. since you are running a boat and no antifreeze (like a car), you need those because ordinary freeze plugs will rust out. What state are you in? There are hundreds of re builders all over the place. I have dealt with and they are customers of mine Michigan Motorz in troy, MI. They have motors, do install and everything. They are very reputable and are good people. they can ship a short or long block to you, or a complete engine. i would go with the 383 personally since you need an engine anyways. It would be a bump in hp and torque with not much more out of pocket. You can go with an auto 383 but you just need to switch out the freeze plugs. If you want to deal or get more info on michigan motorz, they are on e-bay and if you want give me your contact info and i will talk with them next week and they will get a hold of you. If you want any more info just e-mail me through here

:cool:

robdaniel1
06-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the follow up.

I am in Georgia. I will get online to check out Michigan Motorz.

After speaking with my mechanic, I decided to get the long block. He can do whatever I want, but after considering the short block and then the time it takes to move everything to the long block seemed like it would not be much difference to go with the long block in the first place? Appreciate any additional thoughts you would have on that.

Thanks,

Rob

knoble
06-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I guess it's more about the money than anything else. You can save some cash going the short block route but if you are paying someone to do it then their probably will not be much if any savings. I do all the work myself so it's just my time. I can talk with the guys at michigan motorz and maybe get you a better deal if you want. Let me know, i usually go there on tuesdays.

robdaniel1
06-06-2009, 01:04 PM
That would be great if you would do that.

I just left an e-mail message with my name asking for pricing on a short block and long block
383 for Chevy 2001 marine application.

I checked e-bay, they have some 350's but did not see a 383.

My cell is 678 - 296 - 3574

I appreciate your help,

Rob

knoble
06-06-2009, 01:14 PM
give me your e-mail also. I will talk with them on tuesday and let you know. I am almost positive they have a 383. I think I saw one in their showroom.

robdaniel1
06-06-2009, 03:35 PM
my email is [email protected]

Thanks again,

Rob

knoble
06-09-2009, 06:40 PM
I gave Phil at Michigan Motorz your info. He said you will not have to flash your computer because the vortec engine is identical to yours. He should have or will be contacting you. His e-mail is [email protected] and his number is 248-524-9600. His name is Phil Abejean.

robdaniel1
06-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Got a deal on the 350 at $2100.00 with no core exchange.

Same engine that I had which was fine.

Appreciate your help.

Should be at the mechanic by this Friday.

89 supra
06-11-2009, 09:31 AM
wow holy crap thats some coin. There is a short block 383 on race-dezert.com for 500 bucks in the classifideds. the 383 would be great for bottom end grunt.

robdaniel1
06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
If you know what your doing and can rebuild an engine. If your paying a mechanic to do it for you and you factor in his time, parts and charges, then the long block is about the same price.

Michigan Motorz provides a warranty and if there is an issue will pay for the repair at your local mechanic.

383 would have been sweet, but I have never had any torque or hp issues with the 350.