PDA

View Full Version : Who's online right now? Chat :)

87SunSportMikeyD
06-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Maple and SaltareInverts I see you! :) Ahh I am bored on a rainy and 50deg day in Minneapolis. How sad! At least baseball is on Twins vs Mariners. Hockey tonight who's watching???

Waiting for engine parts then time to rebuild carb.

So last night we went out late and my batteries are acting up! I have two connected by a SurePower relay separator/combiner. Neither one was fully charged when I started boating this season, but it started right up and I figured they would get charged.

After a couple times out the stereo stopped working and I figured out that the aux battery had died! Took it out to be charged up. Forgot it and went out last night with one batt. Hooked up stereo to main batt for the nite. We were cruising and boarding and the motor would barely turn over! It did start up, so we turned off radio and cruised back to dock to get aux batt. Worked ok after that but I don't think either batt is charging. Not sure if it's my SurePower, my alt, my wiring, or what. Grrr! Have to check with voltmeter soon.

What's everyone else up to RIGHT NOW! :) Yay for captain & coke.

Here's a pic from last night.
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3486/medium/20090602_0634.JPG

mapleleaf
06-06-2009, 05:02 PM
mikey pic's look great...I'm babysiting and trying to rebuild the boat...not easy....... so much to do soooo little time....

mapleleaf
06-06-2009, 05:03 PM
damn it sunny and 80 no rub rail or I'd be in the water!!!!!

Salty87
06-06-2009, 05:43 PM
keeping a boat on the water is so awesome. i'm not far, about 1/4 mi but i have to deal with the ramp. at least it's neighborhood only and not public. you can't really appreciate the steepness in this shot

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/apacherampandglass.jpg

50 degrees, that's nuts. it's 95 down here, too hot to be out this afternoon. we usually do either morning or late afternoon this time of year. i got out friday afternoon for a few hours.

i was in MN this time last year after the hail storms you guys had. beautiful part of the country but wayyyyy too frickin cold. i don't think i'd be as motivated of a boater up there. i dunno, maybe since you've got a short season you have to squeeze it in quick. we can take our time down here.

does your surepower require an ignition connection to activate it? my relay does, got a tow once when the connection failed.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Yeah boatlift is nice but then you have to crank it up and down and put the tower up and down, as well as carry boards, racks, cooler to and from house. But it is nice.

The SurePower didn't come with a ton of instructions. That may be what I'm missing. Does it need to go from the SurePower all the way to the ignition key switch on dash?

michael hunter
06-06-2009, 06:38 PM
We just got home . We went to lake Michigan not a good day 2-3' foot swells.
Took the dog for a swim and run on the beach. The power plant is up and running
again makes the water 10+ degrees warmer . No water sports but at least got on
the water. The wife practiced her docking skills. We are going to try again tomorrow
weather permitting.

Salty87
06-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeah boatlift is nice but then you have to crank it up and down and put the tower up and down, as well as carry boards, racks, cooler to and from house. But it is nice.

The SurePower didn't come with a ton of instructions. That may be what I'm missing. Does it need to go from the SurePower all the way to the ignition key switch on dash?

i goolged install instrux for surepower, no idea if they were the right ones or not. it did not go well with my beverage. my relay seemed simpler. the relay uses a wire off the engine harness that's got 12v with the engine running, doesn't matter too much which one (afaik).

you'll get it, ww guys are running those.

Salty87
06-06-2009, 08:28 PM
We just got home . We went to lake Michigan not a good day 2-3' foot swells.
Took the dog for a swim and run on the beach. The power plant is up and running
again makes the water 10+ degrees warmer . No water sports but at least got on
the water. The wife practiced her docking skills. We are going to try again tomorrow
weather permitting.

lake michigan, 2-3' swells AND cold? we might have a new winner...

got any pics, i'm having trouble imagining myself on lake michigan in one of these boats. that sounds like a workout.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah I got it from PolarBill on WW and it is very common over there. I will mess with it a bit before posting over there, it's not always so friendly. :p I should've taken a pic too. Hopefully it should be 65 and partly sunny so at least I'll get to go work on boat. :)

I must admit I haven't been too productive today. Cleaned the apartment (looking for a house to buy too), watched three wake movies (Push Process, Homeless and Redbull Blackout/Parks Double or Nothing ), baseball AND hockey oh no!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
06-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Why didn't I think to search WW? :P Doing so now... Hows the boat runnin for you Salty?

michael hunter
06-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Salty
2-3 foot swells but quite a bit of distance between them not a problem just ride up
the front and down the back. I had to use two anchors the first one kept dragging.
Water temp 65 degrees air high 60s

mapleleaf
06-07-2009, 09:42 AM
MIkey, Putting the boat before the house was my dream!!! Didn't happen, but kudo's to you, bold move!!
I think you sent that weather my way, looks like I'll be cleaning and watching movies today.....I get the feeling the boat cover's coming on and off a hundred times today!
Hunter, that power plant must really heat up the water...65 degrees for lake MI thias time of year has got to be man made!!!!

Salty87
06-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Why didn't I think to search WW? :P Doing so now... Hows the boat runnin for you Salty?

not too bad. i opened her up on friday and everything ran great. the engine sounded just a tad off so i'm going to pull the timing light out and check it.

my dripless shaft seal isn't so dripless too. time to climb back there and find out why. always something...or i'm never satisfied :)

Salty
2-3 foot swells but quite a bit of distance between them not a problem just ride up
the front and down the back. I had to use two anchors the first one kept dragging.
Water temp 65 degrees air high 60s

that sounds alot better than chop

mapleleaf
06-07-2009, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=Salty87;16102]not too bad. i opened her up on friday and everything ran great. the engine sounded just a tad off so i'm going to pull the timing light out and check it.

Salty, if I picked up a timing light, would this be something I could check and adjust myself????

87SunSportMikeyD
06-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Yes it is super super easy hold the light up to the pulley with a towel over your head and twist the dist cap until the two lines match up. There are marks on the pullies, but bring a piece of chalk to make them stand out.

mapleleaf
06-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Yes it is super super easy hold the light up to the pulley with a tower over your head and twist the dist cap until the two lines match up. There are marks on the pullies, but bring a piece of chalk to make them stand out.

So The lines that match up are the lights on the timing tool...Not sure what you mean about the tower over your head (your tower on your boat, my boat no tower boohoo). And what's the dilly with the chalk????

87SunSportMikeyD
06-07-2009, 01:29 PM
haha yeah I'm not the best one to explain it. The lines are on your pulley and the block. The light is a strobe light that blinks at the same rate your motor is running. It clips onto a spark plug wire to do that. You put a towel (lol@ my spelling error before) over your head to block the sun to make it easier to see the lines. When the light is blinking the line on the pulley will appear to be to the left or to the right of the stationary line on the block. You use chalk to mark over the top of the lines you need to sight. Then the light blinks and you see them easier.

The line on the block also has other markings I think they are written as degrees and I think we want it 6 degrees forward which is where the primary marking on the block is. All degrees are marked but 6 deg forward is a bigger mark for you to use as reference. Sorry someone please correct me if I'm off or if that could be more clear. Check your manual too or google it. :p

mapleleaf
06-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Sounds like you've got it right.....I've heard about and read about it, just ain't done it.....
This afternoon's got some hot floor replacement going on.........I'll be real happy when that's done...Seems like I'm doing some stuff that probably could've waited 'til stringer replacement, I just can't leave well enough alone!
This is another Supra forum break! That and a little left turn'in racing!!!! turns out I'm a closet Nascar guy....who knew?

Had to edit this one....I guess I should've known to sand fiberglass in more than a t-shirt......

87SunSportMikeyD
06-07-2009, 09:08 PM
bummer that is itchy stuff have you done wetsanding yet? why are you doing floors before stingers buddy? :P NBA finals time! Can't say I'm much for NASCAR lol maple how can you not know u like nascar lolol ;)

mapleleaf
06-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I dunno, it's something about D W say'in Boogity????I can't watch a whole race, it's hard to talk about!!!lol
I started on the wetsand, check my pride and joy, haven't done muc but it looks alot better!
I had to replace the floor around the ski pylon and it's a bugger to get in and out ....lots happening though, should have the interior in next weekend, rub rail's on seats are assembled, just working on carpeting the under dash pieces tonight......
I should have the stereo in and be on the Lake Huron on the 15th or 16th.....can't wait......

chautauquasun
06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi..guess I am a little late to the party here.

I had the boat out on Saturday and the kids did some tubing but for some reason I always seem to be the person driving and not skiing. oh well I have all summer.

My boat seems to be running pretty well. I have been hesitant to tear into it with new parts (new shaft seals, electronic ignition, fuel seperator). It seems like everytime I have some free time...I am busy dealing with other issues..trailer tires, boat lifts etc. Then the kids want to go out so...I have just been running her to death. My only compliant so far is the stalling problem at low RPM. Not a big issue on the lake but becomes a huge issue when docking. I have to come in fast to keep it from stalling...lake is shallow so I am probably dinging up the prop not to mention ripping my sons arms off to get it stopped. It is rather annoying....add a little wind in the mix and it is a real treat. I need to identify this problem and getting it fixed.

Other than that issue...boat seems to be running ok. I have to keep in mind that it is 25 years old and probably hasnt had the best care all of its life.

We tried to modify a lift my dad bought....looks like it will work but we had all kinds of problems because our lake is so shallow at the dock that I couldnt get it to float up on the lift. Lift was designed for a pontoon boat so it doesnt seem to go low enough and I had to build up the bunks to allow the skegs and prop to go past..but now it is too high. Going back up on Friday and we are going to move the lift to deeper water and try and see if we can lower the bunks some.

But like I said in a previous post...it is all worth it when you have it out on the lake.

Hope it is nice again this weekend......

Hematoma
06-08-2009, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=Salty87;16102]not too bad. i opened her up on friday and everything ran great. the engine sounded just a tad off so i'm going to pull the timing light out and check it.

Salty, if I picked up a timing light, would this be something I could check and adjust myself????Maple its pretty easy to do/learn Hears a quick run down.

Place timing light pick up on number 1 spark plug wire, Looking from the pulleys back its the first plug wire on the left cylinder head. You have a set of marks on the crankshaft pulley the big line is 0 degrees BTD(before top dead center) to the left of that line is smaller marks in 2 degree increments and same thing to the right of that big mark. You should have a pointer thing on your block that when you rotate the distributor the pointer lines up with the marks on the crankshaft pulley as the strobe from the timing gun pulses. You still with me?
Ok that 6 degrees that Mikey mentioned? Its base timeing, that means it is good enuough to run and will start and you can run it for ever like that but its not the best. You'll need to do it by ear and listen to the motor from this point on, LOL I wouldnt go know more than 4 degrees left or right of 6 degrees I would tell you what mine is at but I set the base timeing and took the boat on the water and did the final timeing by ear and feel.

To much timing and you will get pre-ignition the motor will ping or clatter under load, not enough ignition and you wont have any power and your fuel milage will stink. Hope this helped a little.

Salty87
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
these guys have it down. the only thing i didn't see explained is that you'll be looking at 2 things....a grooved line in the side of the harmonic balancer and a set of reference marks on the block. the line on the harmonic balancer can be hard to see, might need to wipe it clean. i've seen boats where the reference marks are missing too.

anyway, when the light is hooked up and the engine is running the light will strobe when you pull the trigger (point it at the side of the balancer). the groove on the harmonic balancer will become more obvious as the light hits it. it will also light up the reference marks and that's what your timing is set at.

rotate the base of the distributor to advance or retard the timing. 8 degrees BTDC stands out in my head but that may not be right for 351.

some timing lights have adjustable dials to do advanced timing. make sure your light isn't dialed up to higher rpm's for timing advance or you'll have trouble setting it.

it's easier than it sounds. if you need to replace points, do them first.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Chautauq mine is doing the same thing right now. I think it is just idle/timing or at the worst gasket leak in carb. We will find out soon.

Hematoma
06-08-2009, 05:29 PM
these guys have it down. the only thing i didn't see explained is that you'll be looking at 2 things....a grooved line in the side of the harmonic balancer and a set of reference marks on the block. the line on the harmonic balancer can be hard to see, might need to wipe it clean. i've seen boats where the reference marks are missing too.

anyway, when the light is hooked up and the engine is running the light will strobe when you pull the trigger (point it at the side of the balancer). the groove on the harmonic balancer will become more obvious as the light hits it. it will also light up the reference marks and that's what your timing is set at.

rotate the base of the distributor to advance or retard the timing. 8 degrees BTDC stands out in my head but that may not be right for 351.

some timing lights have adjustable dials to do advanced timing. make sure your light isn't dialed up to higher rpm's for timing advance or you'll have trouble setting it.

it's easier than it sounds. if you need to replace points, do them first.Hey Salty We are gonna have to get together one weekend in Austin. I'm down in Houston area and my Bro-inlaw lives in Austin. I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. lol

Salty87
06-08-2009, 06:32 PM
damn, i don't think i knew you're in houston. you're rocking an all black boat in TX??

bring it on!!

Hematoma
06-08-2009, 06:54 PM
damn, i don't think i knew you're in houston. you're rocking an all black boat in TX??

bring it on!!Yup, we had plans to go to that big wakeboard/wakeskate deal a couple months back but I had to work, my buddy said the lake was the chit.

chautauquasun
06-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Chautauq mine is doing the same thing right now. I think it is just idle/timing or at the worst gasket leak in carb. We will find out soon.

Yeah...I am not sure what is cause mine. Mine takes a while to run right at idle. It will fire right up when you give it a few pumps of gas and I start mine with the throttle advanced a bit. It fires up and you need to then let it warm up with higher RPMs before you can throttle it back to nuetral where it will idle. When it is idling it is at 600 so it is idling at the right speed...but when you leave the dock it and give it gas under load it starts to sputter so I quickly pump the throttle to keep it from stalling. Again not a problem when you are leaving the dock but not a good strategy when you are coming into the dock. Once you are underway and skiing or tubing it seems to run ok and you can get it to idle and are able to hit it ski with. Just seems to be an issue at low speeds running for prolonged times.

Mikey...did you convert to electronic ignition? I have yet to do that as well as putting in new plugs and fuel filter. Salty also mentioned it sounded like a choke issue. Is it easy/expensive to replace the electronic choke? Keep me posted on what you find out and how hard it is to rebuild the carb. I suspect mine needs rebuilt and think I can probably do it....but having never done it before I am not keen on tearing it off on a weekend or when I am going to be using the boat...becasue of the learning curve.

Let me know if yours is doing the same thing as mine...and what you are doing or did to correct it.

thanks

Dan

Hematoma
06-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah...I am not sure what is cause mine. Mine takes a while to run right at idle. It will fire right up when you give it a few pumps of gas and I start mine with the throttle advanced a bit. It fires up and you need to then let it warm up with higher RPMs before you can throttle it back to nuetral where it will idle. When it is idling it is at 600 so it is idling at the right speed...but when you leave the dock it and give it gas under load it starts to sputter so I quickly pump the throttle to keep it from stalling. Again not a problem when you are leaving the dock but not a good strategy when you are coming into the dock. Once you are underway and skiing or tubing it seems to run ok and you can get it to idle and are able to hit it ski with. Just seems to be an issue at low speeds running for prolonged times.

Mikey...did you convert to electronic ignition? I have yet to do that as well as putting in new plugs and fuel filter. Salty also mentioned it sounded like a choke issue. Is it easy/expensive to replace the electronic choke? Keep me posted on what you find out and how hard it is to rebuild the carb. I suspect mine needs rebuilt and think I can probably do it....but having never done it before I am not keen on tearing it off on a weekend or when I am going to be using the boat...becasue of the learning curve.

Let me know if yours is doing the same thing as mine...and what you are doing or did to correct it.

thanks

DanChauta when you buy the rebuild kit it comes with diagrams and instructions. You can see what your choke is doing. Remove your flame arrester have someone else drive, hold the engine cover up and see if its staying closed or moving while your idleing around. I changed to electronic ignition and rebuilt my carb AND REMOVED the choke all together. I pump the throttle 2 times at the boat ramp first thing in the morning. cranks her up first spin, and I'm on my way. Choke is just another thing to F-up your day. Lol.

mapleleaf
06-08-2009, 08:27 PM
I suppose the points should be done before the timing, on the hose it's running fine, but I know that can mean nuth'in....Water test coming soon, if it idles and runs like it did last year I'll tune up over the next month or so.....
Thanks for all the timing info, I'd seen it brought up and know at some point or points! I'll be mess'in with it.....

87SunSportMikeyD
06-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah mine does have electronic ignition. If you look at your choke it's easy to see if it's physically working right. Mine works fine, but when it's cold I still have to rev and hold the rpms just a little for about 30 secs or it will die. I realllllly want it to run smooth. Also when I am starting it needs to turn over a few times and I usually need to pump gas to it. Once it starts it idles great for about half the time. Once we start riding and shes hot, she will die right away at idle.

saltare inverts
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
87sunsportmikeyd, have you thought about dropping a 572 crate motor in there. It will help your ballast out and give you 600hp. We want pics of this.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-09-2009, 01:59 PM
LOL! too funny

chautauquasun
06-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah mine does have electronic ignition. If you look at your choke it's easy to see if it's physically working right. Mine works fine, but when it's cold I still have to rev and hold the rpms just a little for about 30 secs or it will die. I realllllly want it to run smooth. Also when I am starting it needs to turn over a few times and I usually need to pump gas to it. Once it starts it idles great for about half the time. Once we start riding and shes hot, she will die right away at idle.

I dont know if this helps anyone with giving any insight and not sure if yours does this Mikey...with mine just before it starts to stall it begins to hiss...that is what prompts me to pump the gas a few times to keep it moving. Does that sound like bad gaskets or possibly bad parts in the carb?

Blackntan90
06-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Sounds to me like it's trying to get some air in to the carb, on my 351, when cold it makes that sound just before it stalls- but only cold- shes fine warmed-up.

Salty87
06-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Yup, we had plans to go to that big wakeboard/wakeskate deal a couple months back but I had to work, my buddy said the lake was the chit.

was that lake austin or lake travis? travis isn't particularly good water, and austin is a small kinda boring lake. the water is great although frigid.

there's a surf contest this weekend on lake travis. there will be bands at carlos n charlies....http://www.360wakeboard.com/surfsesh/

Hematoma
06-09-2009, 08:59 PM
was that lake austin or lake travis? travis isn't particularly good water, and austin is a small kinda boring lake. the water is great although frigid.

there's a surf contest this weekend on lake travis. there will be bands at carlos n charlies....http://www.360wakeboard.com/surfsesh/Honestly I cant remember which lake, I dont think it was Lake Travis though? hell I dont know lol. He said the water was clean as hell though.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-09-2009, 11:36 PM
chatuaq yes it does exactly that!!! If it is going to die it makes a hissing air noise.

OK Guys need some more help - was working tonight and tested our alternator and it was not providing any charge to the battery bank (two batteries and SurePower). So we yanked the alt and will take it in to be tested. Thinking it is bad, but I cannot source a replacement. Any help or tips appreciated. I still have not contacted the seller of the SurePower to make sure I have it hooked up correctly I hear there is a wire that needs to be connected to the ignition, which I do not have hooked up. Thanks!!

We also pulled the carb off to take up to the shop but ran out of time and we (and the boat!) got rained on grrrrrr. I am taking a few hours off on Tues and Thurs afternoons from work to wake and I will have to use Thurs again to do engine work. Today was cloudy and not warm (65) but maaaannn was the river PURE glass...I took a couple more random boat pics I will post them on my pride and joy thread peace all and have a good night.

I hate seeing the forums and I have the newest post in every forum hehehe!

Hematoma
06-10-2009, 08:18 AM
chatuaq yes it does exactly that!!! If it is going to die it makes a hissing air noise.

OK Guys need some more help - was working tonight and tested our alternator and it was not providing any charge to the battery bank (two batteries and SurePower). So we yanked the alt and will take it in to be tested. Thinking it is bad, but I cannot source a replacement. Any help or tips appreciated. I still have not contacted the seller of the SurePower to make sure I have it hooked up correctly I hear there is a wire that needs to be connected to the ignition, which I do not have hooked up. Thanks!!

We also pulled the carb off to take up to the shop but ran out of time and we (and the boat!) got rained on grrrrrr. I am taking a few hours off on Tues and Thurs afternoons from work to wake and I will have to use Thurs again to do engine work. Today was cloudy and not warm (65) but maaaannn was the river PURE glass...I took a couple more random boat pics I will post them on my pride and joy thread peace all and have a good night.

I hate seeing the forums and I have the newest post in every forum hehehe!
What you mean willis, you cant source an alternator? Do you have a special one? Go to the auto parts store and get a rebuilt one. Or do you want a MARINE spec alt.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Well yeah we went to NAPA and they didn't have one just like the original. We can try a different alt but were thinking we needed the same model. Also NAPA said they don't repair/rebuild alts? Slightly confused by this I thought it would be common.

Salty87
06-10-2009, 09:01 AM
i take my alt and starter to an auto electric shop whenever they need any help. they can diagnose and rebuild them. if the shop is any good, they might be able to beef up your alternator.

saltare inverts
06-10-2009, 11:43 AM
To avoid all the running around, phone calls etc. Cant you just buy a new automotive alt.? I dont now if its cheaper but seems alot easier. Summers over before you know it.

Salty87
06-10-2009, 12:04 PM
you should be using a marine alternator...it's electrical and it's in the bilge.

marine alts have extra screens to prevent sparks from igniting gas fumes.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks I will try O O O O'Rileys (like the song) today.

jasonba1
06-10-2009, 01:08 PM
I jsut bought a 90 amp marine alt. from rareelectical.com for 70.00 so far I have been very happy with it and it is defintly alot cheaper. Also they were great to deal with.

Hematoma
06-10-2009, 02:55 PM
you should be using a marine alternator...it's electrical and it's in the bilge.

marine alts have extra screens to prevent sparks from igniting gas fumes.Lol I knew somebody would say it.

Salty87
06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
wow...you run automotive equipment in your bilge? yikes

87SunSportMikeyD
06-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Wow so my dad called me today and said he went ahead and finished the carb rebuild! LOL and woohoo and thanks dad! Couldn't do it without ya.

So we are going to put the alt back in and see if it is the alt that is bad or maybe a faulty votage regulator. Either way it is 80 degrees tomorrow and all weekend and I have tomorrow off so we are going boarding! Going to have to charge the battery at night for a couple nights. Worth it!

Blackntan90
06-10-2009, 05:27 PM
As Salty said; DO NOT USE AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICAL PARTS ON YOUR BOAT!

DKJBama92Mariah
06-10-2009, 05:45 PM
As Salty said; DO NOT USE AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICAL PARTS ON YOUR BOAT!

I'll say it also: DO NOT USE AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICAL PARTS ON YOUR BOAT!

Don't feel bad though. If you search the archives, you can find one of my first posts from when I was a newb in 2004 where I suggested the same exact thing.

Learn something new every day!

Cheers,

EDIT here it is: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=51

87SunSportMikeyD
06-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Well as far as the alt goes, I have heard you can get a kit with screens to install to 'marinize' it. I'm not going this route, though. Okay okay we get the message on auto parts! :)

saltare inverts
06-11-2009, 09:58 AM
I have run alternators and carbs not marine in marine for years. I know the carbs have a extra tube to drain gas out of bowl so to help prevent fire. I think thats only difference.

Salty87
06-11-2009, 10:17 AM
if you guys want to take chances into your own hands and run non-approved equipment, i guess that's fine for you. i hope you at least warn unsuspecting passengers that you've decided that you're more worried about a few dollars than their safety. i won't knowingly get on anyone's boat who does that. leaks happen, spills happen. if you can't follow basic safety precautions, i have trouble believing that you're the best marine mechanic out there (100% sure about your work ;) ...).

it's irresponsible to tell others that it's ok to ignore safety regulations.

as far as the additional costs of being approved to label a carb or piece of electronics as "Marine"...check into the costs of that certification. it isn't free.

let's move past this. it is what it is.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-11-2009, 11:18 AM
<<let's move past this. it is what it is.>>

Yes Please

chautauquasun
06-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Wow so my dad called me today and said he went ahead and finished the carb rebuild! LOL and woohoo and thanks dad! Couldn't do it without ya.

So we are going to put the alt back in and see if it is the alt that is bad or maybe a faulty votage regulator. Either way it is 80 degrees tomorrow and all weekend and I have tomorrow off so we are going boarding! Going to have to charge the battery at night for a couple nights. Worth it!

Mikey...Please let me know if the carb rebuild solves your stalling problem. I hope that it does for your sake and mine. It sounds like we are having the same problem. Sounds like rebuilding the carb may not be to bad. Hope it works for you.

thanks

87SunSportMikeyD
06-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Okay okay lets not turn this into a wakeworld thread here.. :)

Chautauq my dad told me the carb was really pretty clean, but it's always good to replace the gaskets. We were unable to check the float adjustments because there were no sights and we couldn't find the mix screws. My dad said he found them and he's pretty sure they were waaay off. So could end up making a bigger difference.

I will be on the water by 3pm today and we will put the carb back on, run some tests on the carb and alt, then time to wake it's 75 today! Gotta find a crew though!

Hematoma
06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Ok just to show I'm a good sport I deleted my post about the Marine electric subject. If I was irresponsible I would have left them up. I dont want give anyone bad advice on something that could be unsafe, for the simple fact that I do it. Carry on.

P.S. Salty when you want to hook up. You dont need to ride in it just behind it. Lol;):D

Salty87
06-12-2009, 10:59 AM
P.S. Salty when you want to hook up. You dont need to ride in it just behind it. Lol;):D

haha...let me know if you head to austin. i don't get to houston very often. you guys ridin' the river?

Hematoma
06-12-2009, 12:18 PM
haha...let me know if you head to austin. i don't get to houston very often. you guys ridin' the river?I dont know maybe we can come up next month. Like I said I have a brother inlaw in Austin we can stay with him and hook up. I'll let you know though.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-13-2009, 12:50 AM
I dunno bout y'all but it's been a long dang week. I do believe I may have myself a whiskey or two and hit the rack. Who here has a favorite bourbon? I'm a Jim Beam man myself. I haven't been able to smell Jack without shivering since 1997.

wake beater
06-13-2009, 09:54 AM
I dunno bout y'all but it's been a long dang week. I do believe I may have myself a whiskey or two and hit the rack. Who here has a favorite bourbon? I'm a Jim Beam man myself. I haven't been able to smell Jack without shivering since 1997.

Not for me.but I would take a 24 of Pilsner and a bottle of Jagy

Salty87
06-13-2009, 10:27 AM
i'm with you on the jack DKJ. my favorite is jameson's on the rocks. mmmm

mapleleaf
06-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Really we gotta talk about this??? I've taken the last 10 weeks off and my mouth is watering.......

jasonba1
06-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Im all about the jack or woodford reserve

mapleleaf
06-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Not for me.but I would take a 24 of Pilsner and a bottle of Jagy

so like out in BC that'd be a flat eh?
Here in Ontario we'd call her a case......nuth'inlike a good Canadian 2-4

wake beater
06-13-2009, 10:12 PM
you got her,eh.takin a few down as we speak

87SunSportMikeyD
06-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Jack or Jim, they're both good guys. Maybe hang with Jose today.

saltare inverts
06-14-2009, 08:47 PM
I hang with Mountain Dew.

chautauquasun
06-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Mikey...Please let me know if the carb rebuild solves your stalling problem. I hope that it does for your sake and mine. It sounds like we are having the same problem. Sounds like rebuilding the carb may not be to bad. Hope it works for you.

thanks

Mikey...did the carb rebuild solve your stalling problem. This weekend I ran the boat all weekend. It is running but I am starting to really get aggrivated with the stalling issue. It seems to be getting worse and I am starting to become disenchanted with the whole old supra thing. I am hoping to hear that the rebuild solved the stalling problem for you. I am just about ready to take a mallet and start beating the damn thing.