PDA

View Full Version : 92 mariah tranny leak

Drew92mariah
06-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Hey guys I'm new here and I just got a 92 mariah it runs great but it has a trany leak from a gasket on the transmission . Anyone know if it's pretty hard to do a gasket kit on the transmission or if it would just be worth it to take it somewhere to get the work done ?

Irish_Jack
06-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey man, Engine and trans will have to come out as an assembly. Split the bell housing from the engine and slide the trans input shaft out of the coupler and flex plate. This job will run you $1300+ at a competitive dealership. If you have a good manual and a way to lift the powertrain out, you can definitely do this yourself. If the leak is coming out of the case or housing gasket the trans will have to be split in half.
If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them...:cool:

Drew92mariah
06-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks man ! I work a lot of hours so finding time to do the repairs is hard . Have any idea how much cash I could save doing it myself ?

Irish_Jack
06-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Yup reseal kits should run under $200.
Oh. what ever you do, do not use any stop-leak or mechanic-in-a-can. It will plug up the valve body and cause slip shifting or double lock up. I've had a few customers make this mistake...

Drew92mariah
06-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks a bunch man . I got a buddy that has a shop with all the proper tools that's gonna help me out . I'll let you know how it turns out . Thanks again for your help .

knoble
06-07-2009, 12:27 PM
You can remove the trans by itself and leave the engine there. disconnect all the the positive battery cable at the battery. Remove all the wiring from the trans and area and remove the starter.Unbolt the bell housing bolts and the trans stringer bolts. Leave the trans cooler connected so not to get fluid everywhere and just disconnect the water lines. Then you can pry the trans from the engine with a large screwdriver and pry bar. You can prop the engine up with a saw horse in the rear but I have found out at least with my 351w that it will stay in place! The trans is heavy so you may need help to lift it out. Cover your upholstery so are not to mess it up. Once out replacing the gasket is easy but it is beyond you talk to a trans shop and they should be ablr to do it for cheap! Just buy everything and they just do the labor!

:cool:

knoble
06-07-2009, 12:35 PM
My guess is your leak is most likely the front seal on the trans. A common problem but a fairly easy fix. Once the trans is off you should be the fluid aroud the bottom of the front input shaft. You can take the front punp off with four bolts and remove the seal with a hammer and small chisel or screw driver. You can replace it carefully with a large flat punch. Make sure the seal goes on flat and is level with the case as to not damage your new seal. You can also put a little blue permatex around the seal before installing to male it easier and prevent a leak. Putting it in is the hardest part. you need to put it in flat and level.

:cool:

Drew92mariah
06-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the info guys ! Huge help !