PDA

View Full Version : Freakin Oil in the bilge

Sluggo
06-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Getting a late start on summer fun preparations here in Ohio, but I finally had a free day this weekend to get the boat out of the garage. Much to my disappointment I found a lot of oil in the bilge which was wiped bone dry last fall. I have noticed over the last season the standard rainbow oil slick when draining water from the hull, but I just thought the oil from the bilge water was from sloppy work done by the local marine folks here. I have since taken over all my maintenance and invested in several of the tools. I have checked fluid levels and it appears the vdrive is the culprit and might have been leaking for some time. I cannot clearly identify where on the vdrive and it is still holding oil, but it has gone from full to bottom of the stick over the winter. Has anyone dealt with this type of problem before and do you think I am looking at removing and rebuilding? Do marine places handle this kind of work or standard transmission shop?

Thanks for the help,

Dave

saltare inverts
06-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Standard shop can do it if you trust them. They may take longer to fix it because of the unusual and tuff to get to are of a v-drive. You can takle it to a local inboard shop but they usually will pull out trans and ship it to a automotive trans shop. So many options for you. If you take it local, then you can take it back easily if you have problems. Sounds like you hav a leaking seal. Is it tranny or motor fluid. I just fixed my tranny seal leak. Easy on inboard.

Sluggo
06-08-2009, 04:56 PM
It is motor oil, not tranny fluid. Anyone know how hard it is to remove a walters vdrive? I assume all the balast plumbing needs to come out as well? This is a 2005 SSV with a 340hp.

Sluggo
07-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Ok, so I was poking around again and noticed that I might have caught a break. It looks like the pressure sensor might be the culprit. I caught a drip coming off of it and I had not used the boat in several days. The actual threaded connection is tight and dry, but the oil is coming from the body of the sensor. Anyone else have this problem? I have sent SKIDIM.COM an email as the sensor they show states 07+ but does look similiar. Any other sources to check?

michael hunter
07-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Oil senders will leak from the sensor not the threads. They usually leak more when the engine is running. Didn't you say your trans fluid level dropped over the winter?
I hope that fixes it that would be a simple repair.
Good Luck.

Sluggo
07-16-2009, 03:27 PM
That was the case, it was this Spring that I found the oil puddle and it was not showing on the dip stick. If I recall I did not get two pints in it, but it was at least one. Is the vdrive only under pressure while under way? when engine is running? It would seem since it has been several days that it must hold pressure for at least that long.

beast 496
07-17-2009, 12:11 AM
are you using 30 weight oil in the V drive? The pressure is only seen when the drive is in gear, not in neutral. I believe the sensor is on the top right when looking down at it, correct. The oil will not leak out over the winter from this sensor, as it is setting higher than the oil level. I would be suspicious of a double o ring on the filter or a loose drain hose fitting on the engine. Keep looking. Al

Sluggo
07-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Yes, 30 weight oil. Thanks for the suggestions. I will make sure to check those as soon as I can.