PDA

View Full Version : 89 supra comp wake

89 supra
06-08-2009, 05:05 PM
I think the boat throws a decent wake with around a 1000 pounds in her but it sketch at best, you have to be on the ball not to sink her.
I want to here from some of the other comp owners to here your ballast setups and how much weight.

I will post a pic of the boat and wake asap.

Post your comp wake, and specs.:D

jasonba1
06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
On my 92 I have waited it a few times I put 450 lbs on each side of the motor 100 ilbs in the nose. It does ok but as you said you have to be real careful because of how low you are in the water

Curtis
06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I am yet to put a ballast in my 84 comp, due to the fact of limited storage space...The boat came with a 200Lb fat sac (the wap around bench style) never have filled it though, guess i need a pump to do that??...Usually mine throws a pretty nice size wake with a cooler of beverages and a couple bodys in the back :mrgreen:, i feel like as low as it sits in the water anyway, any more added weight may be a mistake....

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/CMC_08_photo/ATT1198925.jpg

mapleleaf
06-08-2009, 08:38 PM
yeah I'm nervous to weight mine as I don't have a windsheild to block the submarine, I also don't have enough time in my boat to know......
Would love to get advice....want to try surfing this summer and thought i'd weight the portside hard......
We're just so low already........

jasonba1
06-08-2009, 09:42 PM
The main problem is once a rider falls u need to put in neutral and sit for a min. then get the rider because of the nose being so low but you cant stop to fast becasue the back will take over water . I have found its almost not worth it dont get me wrong you can get a nice wake out of it but with the space issue and the water issue its usally more of a hassle.

89 supra
06-08-2009, 11:55 PM
We started the day with 315#s on the drivers side and 4 guys and at lunch we diched 135#s and it was allot better and the wake was still decent. I would say that anything over a 200# sac and a full boat is a no go for me.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Really good info for people, keep sharing and lets see pics!

saltare inverts
06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Lets see pics.

89 supra
06-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Its raining here for the last week or so. I will get pics of my boat and of the wake board wake and the surf wave next time we go out. Anyone screw around with the trim plate angle?

rludtke
06-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Last season I experimented once with four 80 lb concrete wall blocks from my landscape project. my stepson loved it, but clearly was a little intimidated by the wake. I never got to try it myself.

Over the winter I purchased two 250 lbs fat sacks and a high volume pump when I found a good deal used. I figure if 320 lbs is good than 500 lbs must be great!

Both of us are newbe boarders (I am an old slalom guy), but I am interested in trying it out with these new bags. What I really hope to be able to do is surf it, but I don't yet own a board, and I don't know if the wake will be big enough to support it. I have yet to try out these new bags, it will be interesting to see how it works.

Between limited floor space and freeboard, I suspect that 500 lbs of balast plus people is pushing the practicle limit for a TS6M. I don't know if I will try adding any more ballast weight.

mapleleaf
06-29-2009, 08:27 AM
I've been playing around with weight and people sitting in different places and I think at about 300lbs, plus 4-5 people in the boat I'm almost maxed out..The boat is low and anymore weight I'd be submarining too often!
The wake is significantly bigger with the 300lb in the back, with 2 people on the rear bench, observer and driver.....The only thing I think I would like is it to be a bit steeper, maybe the person sitting in the obsever seat should be in the bow, I tried 2 people in the bow, this was too much.....
Gonna keep messing with it, these boats can throw an awesome wake!!

89 supra
06-29-2009, 11:08 AM
well I didnt get any pics but I was able to surf yesterday with just 5 people in the boat. Not the greatest wave but it worked I will keep perfecting it and let you guys know what I come up with.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-29-2009, 11:24 AM
For a comp I would keep all the weight in the rear of the boat. I'm pretty sure the driver and batteries would be enough weight in the bow for ya. Feel free to weight the rear until she doesn't plane out as easily. This will add needed height and steepness to the wake.

For surfing put those sacs all on the portside rear floor and you SHOULD be good to go. Make everyone sit on the port rail.

Lets see a pic!!!!!

suprakid1
07-12-2009, 02:34 PM
I have an 88 comp and i use two 500 fat sacs on either side of the motor box. Then i set the wake plate to about half way. With the plate all the way up the wake has too much shape. The extra 1000 pounds is a lot but not bad to drive if all you are doing is wakeboarding. It's the best wake i can come up with.

mapleleaf
07-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah I put my wake plate all the way up and the boat really doesn't handle as well (in chop). Going to try it at half up and see......What amazes me is how you can go from a dead flat slalom wake to a fairly decent wakeboard wake with these boats.....
I've yet to make a huge wake, but I'm happy with it nevertheless....
Like the sounds of the 2 5 hundo sac's, think'in that's my next move....

Montgomery
07-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Anyone have any pics of the wake behind a comp ? I've been contemplating on getting one for wakeskating

mapleleaf
07-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Anyone have any pics of the wake behind a comp ? I've been contemplating on getting one for wakeskating

Hopefully the link below works......this was taken while weighted about 750 lb in the back of my Conbrio including people! ....
Probably room for another 500 lb's back there before you're too low...

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=4334&page=2

Montgomery
07-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Sweet thanks ;) Just what I was looking for

kestner1405
07-28-2009, 10:32 PM
i have a 87 comp and well... 25 bucks will get you 250 pounds of sand at the hardware store and i usually throw them ontop of the gas tank.. with a full tank and stratiegically placed bodys we get a nice wake... the sand is easy to move around and we will throw them up under the bow but ya gotta be careful not to submarine! we recently bought a 540 pound fat sac... but we cant get the pump to work. but we are gonna try that soon we might sink her though... :(

Okie Boarder
07-29-2009, 12:44 PM
haugy on wb.com has a Mariah. He runs two 300 or 400 pound bags...one on each side of the engine. He scoots them back and puts people in the back. He said he generally weights all to the back until the wake washes out then moves just enough weight forward to clean it up. We've played with the same concept on our Sunsport and it seems to work well.

bostonboard
08-25-2009, 10:02 PM
hey i just bought a 1986 ts6m today and was wondering if you had a chance to try out your new ballast system as that is the first thing we decided to invest in in this boat. also i was wondering if you have seen any of these boats with towers on them

matt k
08-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Hey, what speed do you comp owners ride at? I have an '87, and I tend to ride at 18-19mph, but from reading up, I'm starting to think that's way too slow. I can go only go wake to wake on a 50-55 foot rope, and I don't get a ton of height. I've tried adding ~250lbs of ballast, and that helps somewhat. I'm thinking I should try up in the 22-24mph range, but man does 20+ feel fast...

Dtha
08-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Usually ride between 20-24mph. Try and stick around 22 the best i can (no perfect pass, don't really feel a need for it). Got the wake plate up about 9-5/8" from the swim platform. If I'm out in the morning by myself I put in 800lbs. in her (2 400 lbs. sacks on each side of doghouse) and my dad, brother in law and dog in the boat ( probably and extra 300lbs.+). Wake's great, no problem w2w, can get into the flats pretty easily too, I would recommend extending your rope to about 70-75' (that's how I, and many others ride) should make it much easier to get height and distance (before we were riding with a 55-60' rope and I found it very hard to maneuver).

Do you have a tower or a skylon? Very good investment, and the hull holds a tower fine with some backing plates. Don't be afraid to weight her, it's really not as scary as people make it sound, I often ride with 6-9 people in this friggen thing and it's not bad at all (don't get me wrong, it's a bit crammed!), but I have never been close to sinking her. When slowing down just look back and give it a small amount of gas as the wake comes in, and obviously if you're coming up to a roller gas it to get the bow over (I'm sure you have submarined, and if you haven't yet, you will get caught off guard eventually and it will happen. It's no big deal, has happened to me twice, it's usually hilarious because the observers seat never see it coming until you say, "oh shit" and then they're soaked).

Many people here run comp's, including me, Jet and Jetlink. Jet run's like 1500 lbs. of ballast in his, and I think Jetlink runs 1600lbs. in his. So if you have any questions just pm me, or I'm sure either jet or jetlink can help you out, Jet has answered a few questions of mine and is a very nice guy.

Here's a pic of my '86 comp.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/purplehippo939/IMG_1132.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/purplehippo939/IMG_0927.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/purplehippo939/IMG_0897.jpg

Has enough umph two get to boarder's out too!
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/purplehippo939/doubles.jpg

Jetlink
08-15-2011, 08:44 PM
I have the ability to weight my boat down with 1500 pounds of water ballast though I have not really come close to needing that much weight. I do like the ability to weight the port side a little more than the starboard side to clean up the wake. I usually run around 700-800 pounds of ballast with a total of three in the boat unless I am going for broke and then I will run closer to 1200+ pounds. I do have a tower that helps and I run the rope at around 65-70 feet off the tower. I run around 19-22MPH though and have a nice crisp wake usually. Had my sister out and she said that the wake was a little intimidating for her at 1200 pounds. As for dealing with rollers and swamping, I usually pull it to idle and let the boat come off plane before I start the turn back, run parallel to the wake, taking it broadsides and have had zero issues with swamping it. I had Mapleleaf out on my boat as well and it was his first time driving with ballast and he did just fine so, just be smart when you run ballast.

These two pics are running about 600-700 pounds of ballast with myself driving and one other person in the boat.

matt k
08-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Cool, thanks guys. I have a skylon (would love a tower, but it's not in the budget right now). I guess I'll try more rope, more weight, and more speed next time I get to the lake!

jet
08-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Hey weight-a-min. Im running the 1600-1700 lbs, lol. And thats at 20-21 mph and plate 3/4 of the way up. She will run real well with 600 in the rear and 400 in the front, that way you can have some room to walk around, OH! And dont back off of the throttle quick either or you will dip the nose. Jet

heres a 1600 lbs run on a vid.
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/video/video.php?v=1445657032200

matt k
08-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Sounds good. I picked up 700lbs worth of beside-the-motor type sacks. Figure I'll start with that, and see what happens.

Dtha
08-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Haha sorry jet, didn't mean to offend.

Best of luck matt, the 700lbs. should work great for you. I haven't put any weight in the bow besides my amp's and sub, don't really feel like crawling in there to put in a bag.

Don't forget to adjust the wakeplate, it really does make a difference, I put it back to stock for a day and found it a bit more uncomfortable to ride. The extra rope length should really help you out too. Don't forget to take some pics of your comp with some weight in it, gotta keep reppin the old boats.

jet
08-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Lol..........................

jet
08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Hey I finally found this video for you comp guys. You cant see the wake very well because the sun was really bright like 1:00 in the afternoon.

1600-1700 lbs:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1445657032200

SwiftChaos
09-16-2020, 03:02 PM
I think the boat throws a decent wake with around a 1000 pounds in her but it sketch at best, you have to be on the ball not to sink her.
I want to here from some of the other comp owners to here your ballast setups and how much weight.

I will post a pic of the boat and wake asap.

Post your comp wake, and specs.:D

I have a 1989 Supra tsm6 ski boat now that we use for wakesurfing. My set up is a waketower,800lbs freemotion ballast bag on passenger side toward the stern a wake creator on the opposite side and my cavitation plate up 1/4".Decent push boat does sit low in water but never had issues with swamping the boat