PDA

View Full Version : What not to do when boating

chautauquasun
06-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Now I realize this is the Supra Forum and we want to keep it all things Supra as much as possible...but we are all boaters here and I felt this maybe of interest.

I was at our place this weekend and out having a bonfire on the lake front when we heard a terrible sound of crashing wood come from across the lake. We are at the narrowest part of the lake but it is probably a good 1/4 to 1/2 mile across...and could still hear this.
Here is a link to the article. Poor guy probably wont be boating anytime soon.

Rough Night On The Water
http://www.post-journal.com/page/content.detail/id/532548.html?nav=5069

Happy Boating!! :-)

Dan

DKJBama92Mariah
06-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Man that takes some serious talent right there.

BWI is bad enough, but taking the boat out after dark while plastered is just plain stupid.

I just make it simple and don't let myself drink at all on the boat. With five or six lives in my hands,it just makes me feel much more comfortable having all my senses at 100%.

knoble
06-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Their are at least a couple of those here in Michigan! Last summer hit a stationary barge at speed and half of them were killed! Drive was drunk of course!

mapleleaf
06-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah it's sad, but he got what he deserved...at least he didn't hit one of us......or anyone else...
I feel even worse for the boat, looks like she was a sweety.....
You can drink on my boat, but you sure as hell ain't driving it.......
It's so much easier when you're sober, and I'm a Canadian beer drinker....

saltare inverts
06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I watched a guy drive his three engine scarab into and up a rock dam. The motors and rear of the boat stopped at waters edge and the driver and the rest of the boat went 38 feet up the damns side. Dont drink and drive anything.

RED WINE ROCKER
06-09-2009, 09:05 AM
....Allegedly drunk...he was "allegedly drunk"........he could have just been a dumb-ass.....they are worse than drunks.

Sun & booze don't treat me right...plus, practicing grabs & such drunk = PAIN!

Need to show my wife this...its a good argument for that new light bar w/ speakers!!!:D:D

chautauquasun
06-09-2009, 09:10 AM
....Allegedly drunk...he was "allegedly drunk"........he could have just been a dumb-ass.....they are worse than drunks.

Sun & booze don't treat me right...plus, practicing grabs & such drunk = PAIN!

Need to show my wife this...its a good argument for that new light bar w/ speakers!!!:D:D

Yes I agree with you on the light bar and new speakers...of course just for the safety aspects. Safety First!! :-)

87SunSportMikeyD
06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I have no problems drinking moderatly while boating. But I don't drive faster than 30, and I don't drive fast at night.

Blackntan90
06-09-2009, 05:13 PM
An accident only takes a fraction of a second, and the results can last forever! I'm not trying to be a downer, but been there, done that! And hope it never happens again to me or anybody else! I do not BWI for the reasons that eveyone stated, and because of the HEFTY fines involved!

saltare inverts
06-10-2009, 08:35 AM
I have wathced them make you drive the boat to a dock, get out and do a sobriety test. Then when guilty, haul you to jail.

csuggs
06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Absolutuely no BWI here. When I was about 16 and skiing in the Chesapeake Bay area, I watched an intoxicated boater run over his girlfriend because she was sitting on the bow with her feet dangling. They hit a wave and she went under the boat. We pulled her out, wrapped her in towels and after radioing the Coast Guard, got instructions to meet the State Police Medivac Chopper at a nearby marina. She lived, but had lots of complications. We save the "refreshments" for after we get home.