PDA

View Full Version : shining up old plastic...

mapleleaf
06-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm sure this has come up before...I don't know what to use to make my old plastic match the new, it may never be perfect but there's gotta be something?

Fman
06-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Meguairs makes a product called Plastic-X that restores plastic colors and takes off the oxidation. Its pretty cheap and works well, you might have to do it multiple times to get the finish you are looking for.

chautauquasun
06-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Meguairs makes a product called Plastic-X that restores plastic colors and takes off the oxidation. Its pretty cheap and works well, you might have to do it multiple times to get the finish you are looking for.

There is another product I use too...that is called Back to Black...I think it is made by Mothers but cant remember. It does a great job of getting rid of the oxidation on black plastic and making it look new again. I am assuming it would do the same for any color plastic.

Blackntan90
06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
2nd the meguires plastic polish

saltare inverts
06-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Does local auto stores have back to black or is that a online order?

tg0824SSVGG
06-10-2009, 02:09 PM
I've seen it at auto parts stores, and I think even walmart. From one website:

Back-To-Black
Mothers Polish
As your ride's exterior ages, rubber, plastic and vinyl exterior hardware of all colors will dry, crack, flake and deteriorate. This oxidation can be stopped and reversed with MothersŪ Back-to-BlackŪ, our favorite auto-care concoction. This trim treatment is great for all sorts of exterior hardware in all colors-bumpers, molding, louvers, window trim, vents, seals, skirts, door handles, wiper arms-anything that's plastic, rubber or vinyl. Apply Back-to-BlackŪ to sun-burnt plastic, rubber and vinyl to revive the factory-new sheen, then re-treat that exterior hardware regularly.

chautauquasun
06-11-2009, 12:51 PM
You can find the Back to Black at any of the discount retailers like Walmart, Target etc. I cant remember where I bought the bottle I have...but know that I didnt buy it at a auto parts store.