PDA

View Full Version : How's the wake from an Supra 89 Legacy?

tres0422
06-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Hey guys I am looking for a supra late 80s or early 90s that throws a decent wake. Do you like the sunsport, legacy, or comp?
Thanks,
Tres

Curtis
06-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Have a Comp (84) and the wake at around 22-23 is pretty impressive without ballast...The drawback is the storage space of a comp does not allow a ballast sac to stow away, therfore you will need a ballast thrown off in the floor somewhere...like i posted in another thread all i have for weight is a cooler and maybe two people in the back.

The sunsports have a deeper hull which allows you to store a good size ballast if this is your main concern before getting a boat, personally not a huge fan of the look of these boats, but definitely more practical for using a ballast system.

Legacy???

87SunSportMikeyD
06-09-2009, 11:57 PM
You really really really want to look for the SunSport it is the best hull for wakeboarding, surfing and weighting down. Bravura is a closed bow SunSport.

tres0422
06-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Mikey had you heard of the legacy? Is the hull like the SS?

87SunSportMikeyD
06-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Well I've heard of it but don't know a ton about it. Supra guru username Haugy at wakeboarder.com might know more.

Here's one I found...

http://www.ablboats.com/details.asp?ListingID=71613

87SunSportMikeyD
06-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Keep looking for SunSport or Saltaire

Here's a post I found:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-17653.html

I just sold my 98 Supra comp last weekend. The Legancy is a comp hull with an open bow. There were 2 types offered - a true walk thru open bow and a playpen open bow. Here is my opinion. I buy and sell inboards as a hobby and have owned all of the big 4 (cc, bu, supra, mc) I really liked the Supra comp so here is a rundown of the goods and bads....goods - great looking boat slant nose design was copied in the newer MC boats. Great power and never has a bow rise, stays flat in the water. I thought the quality was quite good, fit and finish was nice. Tracks great. Super flat wake with the plate adjusted correctly. Bads...., plain interior, sit very low in the boat, seat are sitting on the floor of the boat i.e. legs have to be straight on the floor to sit in the back or observers seat. Boat takes a ton of water over the bow in rough water. Overall the boat was nice and I liked it. I think the 99 comp was waterski mags ski boat of the year. All that said, I own a MC Prostar 195 as my personal boat and I love it. I think that MC and CC stand alone at the top of this industry. As far as resale goes....All these inboards are so popular right now that resle is not an issue if the boats are clean and well taken care of. My comp was spotless with 150 hours and brought 17000.00. I took over 15 phone call on it. Inboard boats sell if they are clean because it is hard to find boats that people take care of. Just my opinion.

saltare inverts
06-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Do you fix them up then sell for profit?

tres0422
06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Mikey,
Few more questions.
-Is there some easy tests to look for stringer rot? Try and tighten the engine mounts to see if the bolts are still grabbing?

-Found a 1991 '21 400hrs at a shop for about $11K. No tower, no sacks, no cover or upgraders. Reasonable shape as far as I can tell....Doesn't that seem high?

-Found a 1986 or 1987 23' 454 450hrs for $7K. Private seller. looks great haven't done a water test yet.

-Found a 1989 19' or 20' for 800hrs $5.8K. Private seller. Interior is ragged out and the engine is not starting. Said it had some work on it decks etc but I don't know if I believe him....Working the price down....he is way too high.

-How much would it cost to have the stringer redone professionally....Best guess.

If you could just give me your thoughts on these senarios. Thanks in advance.

Tres

tres0422
06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
oooops all are Sunsports.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-12-2009, 01:39 PM
I am not an expert in stringer repairs but I have done my share of homework. See if the engine mounts grab that is a big one. The engine is mounted directly to the stringer and you can see it almost the whole way back. Check that to be sure there aren't cracks or soft spots on the stringer. Bring a small screwdriver and tap the point on the floor, sides of seat bases, stringers, etc. Walk around barefoot and feel the floor for soft spots. Common areas are around the drivers seat and in front of the rear bench seat.

If you are able, bring a phillips screwdriver too and you can unscrew the rear seat in under 5 mins. Lift it up and you can see for yourself if the rear floor area is okay and this is another trouble spot for many.

To have the stringers and floor completly redone would be $2.5-3k I have heard. If you want to see some DIY projects they are around, but Supras are known to be a little tougher to DIY than some other brands.

I got my 87 in very good condition with trailer, perfect interior and no rot problems yet, 500 hours for $7500. No tower or ballast just stock condition. He originally asked $9k.

So $11k isn't far off if it's in great shape but you should be able to talk him down a bit. Check NADA.com for values and price ranges.

The 91 sounds like a good boat but price is a bit high at $11k.
I really like my 87 and that price seems good maybe you could even get a deal.
The 89 I would stay away from because of the damaged interior. Unless you KNOW the stringers have been replaced, you are pretty much assured some damage to the stringers if the interior and or floor have been replaced.