PDA

View Full Version : Why does my 02 Supra Launch SSV lean to one side for no reason ?

rwadlow
06-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Why does my boat lean ? My boat leans to the driver side which comes in handy for wakesurfing since we surf on that side. However even when the boat is completely empty and all the weight balanced it still leans is that common ? My friend said his Tige does the same thing ……. Anyone know if that is true and why they lean ? :D

csuggs
06-10-2009, 11:24 AM
My '86 Sunsport does the same thing - not too much, but is noticeable to me. I can only attribute it to the extra weight from the driver's area, but you wouldn't think there would be that much.

saltare inverts
06-10-2009, 11:38 AM
My boat leans also.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-10-2009, 12:20 PM
My boat doesn't lean at all that seems crazy to me! :) Your batteries are on left side that should offset the drivers console... I would take some small amount of dry weight like 150lbs and hide it somewhere like inside the gunwale.

freeflyernc
06-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Prop torque. Since the prop is spinning it will actually lean the boat a little as you increase RPMs. This can be offset by adding weight. I find that my 2005 21v is perfect with a driver and spotter. If you ride without a spotter you need to add 150+lbs to make the boat drive even.

Mike

saltare inverts
06-10-2009, 11:50 PM
I new that, I just didnt seem to remember. Man, I am losing it.

csuggs
06-11-2009, 07:25 AM
I thought we were talking about the boat leaning when sitting still.

incognito
09-12-2012, 01:06 AM
I know this thread is old but I'd rather resurrect this one than start another. I have a 2002 Launch Sl direct drive and it also leans to
the right sitting still. I noticed it after a few outings but it may have always been like that. I still on the fence if its normal or there is another issue like taking on water. That has got me worried as my boat buddy (replaced) broke, causing the pin to fail and engaged prior to making contact. The bow eye contacted the pin and you can see where it rubbed a portion of the eye somewhat flat, while loading. One of the nuts on the bow eye was not completely snug so i tightened it. It doesnt appear that the sealant is bad and I dont notice visibly taking on water. Maybe someone with more experience could chime in.

HIFLYR
09-12-2012, 10:34 AM
You do mean sitting at the dock with no one in it not even the driver right? The only real way to check is to take all equipment out of the boat and then check it.

incognito
09-12-2012, 10:49 PM
That's correct. It still has a slight lean to the right.

CornRickey
09-13-2012, 12:37 AM
How much lean are we talking about? Relate it to the swim platform. My platform railing is just at water level on the right. Wiring harnesses, fuel fill plumbing, shower, heater core and all of the dash is on that side. I would expect a little lean.

mr.jrc
09-13-2012, 05:48 PM
the lean is due to an unbalance... they don't build them unbalanced, something has changed, it would take more 50lbs to start any appreciable lean. Most likely you have absorbed water on one side of the boat, absorbed in the "closed cell" foam. Fortunately for a 100% composite, you won't rot. You really can't do anything but tear out the floor, remove the saturated foam, and rebuild. Foam is a blessing and curse, it all will absorb water, closed or open cell. Check out the dock floats encased in plastic.... closed cell foam, but water eventually seeps in where the dock is mounted and saturates the wood... after a couple of years a 50lb float now weighs 150lbs.

incognito
09-18-2012, 12:48 AM
well that sucks. I'm at a loss trying to figure out how the water got in if that's the problem. Everything looks sealed up pretty well. I didn't notice any water under the front ski locker.

Blackntan90
09-19-2012, 07:58 PM
I placed some dumbbells in my port side storage, where the battery is. I am sure I have some wet foam,probably on the starboard side. But until I tackle that project I still like an even boat as the wake is also more even side to side- makes it better to steer in both directions too.

Lavinder
09-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Check to see if you only have one shoe on. That was Happy Gilmore's problem with his caddy.