PDA

View Full Version : Bad Exhaust Fumes

SupraBoarder
06-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Hey all,

I've got a 2001 DD Launch with the 320hp Indmar Assault TBI engine. Recently, we've begun to have a lot more visible exhaust coming out as we use the boat. We have been using it for wakesurfing and wakeboarding and the fumes have begun to get to people sitting in the rear of the boat. This does not normally happen. We handle all the maintenance tasks ourselves, however we have been tempted to bring it back to the dealer to have them "tune" the engine in hopes that it will alleviate the exhaust problems. Is there anything that I might be able to do with the boat instead of taking it to the dealer? Thanks for your help.

rludtke
06-10-2009, 11:36 PM
I think you have only two real sources of smoke/odor in the exhaust: excess oil or fuel. The smell should give you a clue as to which potential problem to tackle.

Oil in the exhaust could be several internal engine sources, such as one or more valve guides, stuck or broken piston rings, a leaking parting gasket, etc.

If the fuel mixure was too rich, it could also emit smoke/odor from the exhaust. Usually electronic fuel injection doesn't have these kinds of issues, but if a sensor of some kind has failed, the computer would not be able to set the mixture correctly. This may require a mechanic with an engine anyliser to troubleshoot.

Of the two, I suspect the fuel injection system may need some attention.

Sluggo
06-15-2009, 07:49 AM
I had this problem with my 2005 SSV with the 340 TBI back when I was having all my work done by a local shop. They replaced the plugs and distributor cap with a standard tune up service Fall 2007 and problem was gone the next Spring and did not come back last year.