PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Supra TS6M questions?

89SupraTS6M
06-11-2009, 11:34 AM
I just stumbled onto this website last night and man is this place great. I have learned so much just by reading all the different posts. I am in the process of refreshing my motor and would like to pick a few of your brains.

1.) I would like to replace my valve cover gaskets.
-Do I have to pull the exhaust manifolds to get to the valve cover bolts on a PCM 351?
-Can I just run whatever gaskets I get at my local auto parts house or do I need a special marine set?
-Should I install them dry or use any type of sealent as well?

2.) I would like to take off my intake and have it hot tanked and repainted. (It's very crusty)
-Any special considerations?
-Can I use automotive gaskets for my intake or do I need to order special ones?
-For the front and back seal of the intake do I use the cork gaskets or do I use a bead of silicone like everyone does on smally block Fords.

Thanks in advance!
When I get all my parts and so forth I will start snapping photos to post.

michael hunter
06-11-2009, 09:34 PM
First Welcome to the Supra Forum. You will get all your questions answered here.
1-No you dont have to remove the exhaust manifolds
Auto parts gaskets are fine use rubber ones
No dont use any sealer if needed a little weather stripping cement to hold the gasket
on the valve cover.
2-Yes auto parts intake gaskets are fine try to buy quality ones [Felpro are good]
If the gasket kit comes with the valley gaskets use them if not silicone.
Remember You owe us pictures of your boat and project.

89SupraTS6M
06-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I am getting excited to get the boat up and running again. Now that I know I dont have to special order all sorts of gaskets I can get started much sooner. I will take pictures along the way.

rickr
06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
If your manifolds have not been off in 20 years I would recommend replacing the riser and manifold gaskets. BEWARE bolts might be frozen.
I used Felpro Perma Torque (Blue) automotive, valve cover gaskets for my restoration.

Post #48
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=2855&page=5

michael hunter
06-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I am getting excited to get the boat up and running again. Now that I know I dont have to special order all sorts of gaskets I can get started much sooner. I will take pictures along the way.

Be careful not all the parts are interchangeable with auto parts gaskets are fine
but not things like carburetor,alternator,starter, fuel pump and many more. when
in doubt ask here on the forum. Good Luck with your repair.