PDA

View Full Version : supra launch vs. santera

ess3489
06-12-2009, 06:25 PM
what is the difference in the supra launch 22ssv and the 1999 supra santera? i am looking for a new boat and was thinking about the 2002 supra launch ssv but then i saw a 1999 santera. i really want a big wake for wakeboarding and wakesurfing. what is the difference in these boats? and how do both of these compare to tige and air nautique and malibu wakesetter from years 2000-2004

DKJBama92Mariah
06-12-2009, 08:09 PM
This archive might help some:
http://www.supraboats.com/archive/

If you want a dedicated wakeboat, the Launch models will serve you better than a 99 Santera. The launch will have a factory tower, a santera will probably not.

More importantly, the launch will have a taller freeboard than the Santera. "Freeboard" is a term meaning the height of the sides of the boat. The more freeboard you have, the more ballast weight you can bring onboard to increase wake size.

There are some direct-drive Launchs' out there however. I think you can safely say that a v-drive is more desirable than a DD for wakeboarding. Generally speaking of course

87SunSportMikeyD
06-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Derek is right on. Launch will give you monster wake and wave you are looking for. (EDIT - Sorry I was talking without looking first. Looks like a great model and identical to Launch.)

saltare inverts
06-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Launch wake is very thick. The 2000 and one around that are what got me to buy a Supra Super SaltAIR.

ess3489
06-12-2009, 10:51 PM
are those 22ssv good solid boats?? i was looking and comparing them to air nautique, tige, and centrion boats. but i like the way supra looks out of all of them. it kind of seems crammed inside the boat with the wrap around style seating. anyone who has been in one is that true?

saltare inverts
06-13-2009, 09:58 AM
My friend has one with over 2500 hours on it, yes 2500. Still going strong. Original motor etc. Only thing he had to replace was vinyl. 2000 Launch vdrive.

mapleleaf
06-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I'd like to say I had 2500 hours on the water in my boat.....

saltare inverts
06-13-2009, 10:53 PM
I agree. He actually bought it from a Wakeboard school. So it had many hours on it when he got it.

jclose8
06-15-2009, 08:52 AM
I have a '99 Santera. The hull is identical to the Launch 22SSV. The main differences are the addition of ballast and tower to the SSV. Also, the fuel tank in the Santera is in the front, so there is no under floor ski locker. That was changed for the SSV as well. The fuel tank was moved rearward, and a ski locker was added.

The comment about more freeboard on a Launch as well as the comment about the Santera not being able to be weighted as much are incorrect.

There may be some minor interior differences, but it is essentially the same boat.

rwadlow
06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
We bought a used 2002 22ft Launch V- Drive this past April the boat had about 700 hours on it, because it came from a wakeboarding school. The boat is ABSOLUTELY fabulous and has so much room. The wrap around seating and the sundeck gives you so much room. Also the playpen area at the front of the boat can fit 3 people or 2 if chilling / laying down etc. We have had 9 people , ton of great, cooler, etc and still had a lot of room.
The wake it makes for wakeboarding and wakesurfing is awesome!!!

We are very pleased we bought this boat........

RED WINE ROCKER
06-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Hey...SUPRAS are the BOMB!!...always,always an excellent choice....in my opinion the only 2 real "values" are SUPRAS & MALIBU'S....everything else is paying for a name......

V-drives look cramped but they really are not......now in 2005 SUPRA quit making direct drive LAUNCH'S( I think '05)....i have an 05 launch 21( not a v21)....so if "v's" seem cramped you could look for one of those...old school baby!....they quit because a "v" will give a little bigger wave...or different ramp or something.

You want cramped...try a TS6M!:eek:

mellis
07-06-2009, 10:57 PM
I agree with jclose8. I have a 99 Santera and I love it. I did put a monster tower on it and I did have to Plumb in the V-Drive side sacs for ballast. As far as how tall the boat sits in the water. I can be loaded with people and ballast and idle over my own big boat wake and never have to power over the waves to keep water from coming into the boat, it really does sit much taller in the water than most other boats of that era. I'm sure the 2002 launch is a awesome boat. But with a little effort, the Santera makes a great dedicated wake boat, and throws a awesome surf wake. But of course, I'm biased!

tadarch2
07-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I have an 01' 22 SSV LAUNCH. I agree with rwadlow. I love the wrap around seating. And the sun deck is great also! Plenty of room for peeps. I dont think you can go wrong with one. I bought mine last year, and do not have any regrets. The only thing I wish it had more of is little cubby holes along the sides in the rear. To put small stuff like sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, etc, etc. And the best thing is it will probably have everything you already want on it to make a great wakeboarding boat.