PDA

View Full Version : 87 Supra Saltare...Wheres the best place to mount the Depth Transducer?

Supra tImMY
06-13-2009, 05:42 AM
I have an 87 Saltare with the 454 and I am trying to decide where to mount the transducer for the depth sounder. I am installing a Faria with a AIRMAR puck style transducer. I currently have a Hummingbird depth sounder but the COMPANY THAT SOLD IT TO ME "miss led" me about the transducer stating that is WAS a THRU hull and to epoxy it down to the hull in the bilge. I havent gotten one reading from it and i NOW believe it was a transome mount that they were itching to get rid of. SO! its epoxied to the floor in the low spot by the bilge pump. I was thinking of trying to mount it back by the transmission? The AIRMAR transducer is a bit more accurate and complicated to set up. CAN YOU TELL ME IF THE HULL IS A "CORE HULL" throughout the whole bottom? or is there a place where it is solid hull to mount this puppy!?> thanks

michael hunter
06-13-2009, 07:54 AM
I epoxied the transducer to the hull just to the side and in front of the rudder.
It must be mounted in a place that stays in the water it doesn't work if you get air
between the hull and water.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/supratransducer001.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/supratransducer002.jpg

Salty87
06-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Timmy

i've got an 87 saltare, my humminbird depth finder works good...as far as i can tell. i haven't busted out a measuring stick to verify accuracy. lol

mine's glued down to the hull on the port side of the shaft, a little forward of where the intake is on the starboard side of the shaft and a little forward of the shaft log.

i've used that spot twice now (before rebuild, used it again when the rebuild was done) and had no problems getting a reading. i can take a pic if you want...

wotan2525
06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
I have mine glued in the area by the bilge pumps and it doesn't work at all. Haven't bothered to try and bust it out of there yet.... but I'm guessing I'll either break it or won't be able to get it out and will need a new puck.