PDA

View Full Version : Santera gauges dead

bmerrell
06-13-2009, 06:45 PM
I've got a 2001 Santera that I just dewinterized and found that all my gauges (except for the volt gauge) are not working. The depth finder powers up and displays 0.0 and will not show actual depth. The bilge fan doesn't work either. When I turn the bilge fan on I notice the Volt gauge go from 13 volts to about 11 volts, but fans don't turn on. I have metered the key switch, checked the breaker under the dash, checked the ground & 12vdc at the gauges and all appears o.k.. I've read about a computer box for the gauges, and was wondering where it was on this boat. I traced back the wire hareness and it appears as though it goes to a black metal box (that has a fined heat sink on back) that has relays mounted on one side of it, and has two multi wired plugs going to its sides. This box is in the engine compartement behind the ski rope pylon which is behind the rear bench seat. Would removing the relays/plugs and cleaning the contacts (corrosion block) help in any way? I've also had problems with the boat not turning over when I try to start it. Checked the main battery wires and they are tight/clean, battery was on a charger over the winter and is strong. I pulled the multi wired plug apart and put dielectric grease on it (the one that is near the questioned metal box) and the motor has started since then. I did winterize the boat in Nov. 2007 (oil/filter change, stabilizer,etc.) but did not put it in the water last year. In other words it has been winterized for about 18 months. I changed the oil in 2007 and was also wondering if I needed to change it again since it was never started during the 18 month time period. Any input or help on this matter would be greatly appreciatted.