PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting when HOT!

justhwake
06-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey Guys,

I got another one for you all. My 1985 comp starts like a champ when we first get on the water. After we ride for a while and then shut it off, It starts really hard. Hard enough that it drains the battery. I make sure and run the blower and open the hood to cool off and not vapor lock it. Any ideas? I know you do.

Thanks again,

Justin

gerdy
06-14-2009, 09:06 PM
i would start by checking you ignition timing. it may be too advanced.

csuggs
06-14-2009, 09:51 PM
It's a good idea to check the timing. Also check your battery cables and terminals. A hot motor requires more amps to turn over than a cold motor. If the cables are marginal, they may not be able to carry enough current to the starter. I had the same problem last year, and with new cables, life is good!

knoble
06-15-2009, 03:55 AM
Your starter might also be going. If you turn it over for a short time is your positive battery cable warm? This is a indication of your starter pulling way too much juice. If your cable are in good shape that would be the next thing i would check.

:cool:

lowdrag
06-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Another simple check would be the spark plugs. Too much gap can cause it to be hard starting when hot.

Hematoma
06-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Eh, Timing is to advanced while cranking. Do points ignitions have a way to retard the timing during cranking?

justhwake
06-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the input. Here are my thoughts. I just got the timing reset last summer and got a new distributor, plugs and wires. What are the chances it could just be the battery? It set out in the garage all winter. I wish I knew more about this stuff. Thanks.

csuggs
06-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for all the input. Here are my thoughts. I just got the timing reset last summer and got a new distributor, plugs and wires. What are the chances it could just be the battery? It set out in the garage all winter. I wish I knew more about this stuff. Thanks.

That being said, If it turns over fine when cold, but not when hot I would go back to the battery cables. Inspect the ends to see if they are corroded. Check the ground wire too. The cables can also break-down inside the insulation if they are old enough. As far as your battery goes, that could be an issue. Put it on a slow charge overnight and see if there is a difference.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-15-2009, 12:31 PM
I also had same problem, we just put new ends on the old cables. Cleaned 'em, soldered 'em. Make sure to tighten screws onto the battery as tight as possible with a wrench. Seems obvious, but start there first.