PDA

View Full Version : keeps starting and starting

mapleleaf
06-14-2009, 06:07 PM
So we managed to get out on the water today and a whole set of problems come into focus....carb was acting pretty nuts throttle repsonse was all over the place, sputtering and the odd backfire and die.....rebuild for it....

My question is about why after it was hot and kept running and dying, it finally decided to engage the starter permanently....Main disconnect was the only thing that would stop it> I know it's been gone over, but I only have a week til vacation and it's a week I'm outta town, farming out the carb rebuild and hoping it's a relay or solenoid on the starter issue, all help very welcome....

Funny that I've read a bunch of threads about the "tow" and thought that really sucks and then got one today!!!!! It really does suck...cherry popper on the tow!:confused:

csuggs
06-15-2009, 05:24 AM
Leaf - I had similar trouble with the starter staying engaged. I found that if I took a wrench and tapped the starter solenoid it would disengage the starter, so replacing the solenoid fixed mine. If it only happens when things are hot, it might be that things are "expanding" in the starter causing it to bind up and not disengage - I've heard of this happening but have never experienced it happening. If you can duplicate the problem and then remove the positive cable from the starter while it's staying engaged, then you can find out if the problem is electrical or mechanical.

mapleleaf
06-15-2009, 06:49 AM
Thanks Clint, that's what I thought I remember reading, I just couldn't find the thread!! My dad said the same thing, that the heat was helping to keep the bendix "jammed". Pulling carb after work this morning, and tracking down a solenoid.......

michael hunter
06-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Have you changed the IGN switch yet? If it happens again pull the wire off at the IGN switch. If the starter stops its the switch if not its the solenoid or starter.

mapleleaf
06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Solenoid was stuck, Clints test worked, got a new one and headed to my dad's buddy's place for the carb rebuild.....
Purring better than I've heard it yet.........water test tomorrow am, hopefully I've eliminated two problems........

csuggs
06-15-2009, 09:04 PM
We're looking forward to hearing that you're back on the water!

michael hunter
06-16-2009, 09:08 AM
SBC [Summer Boating Catastrophe] is what we call it.
Just about the time you think you got it figured out SBC occurs.When I had my 73 invader outboard it happened so often we named it SBC. It doesn't happen to often these days but I still have my SBC days . I took the new boat to lake Michigan 1-2 foot swells anchored and took dog on the beach. After going some distance looked back to see my new boat on the beach. I didnt think I could run anymore I also didnt think I could lift the bow of a 4000lb boat. No damage except to my pride I know how to set an anchor must have been a senior moment or SBC.

chautauquasun
06-17-2009, 12:01 AM
SBC [Summer Boating Catastrophe] is what we call it.
Just about the time you think you got it figured out SBC occurs.When I had my 73 invader outboard it happened so often we named it SBC. It doesn't happen to often these days but I still have my SBC days . I took the new boat to lake Michigan 1-2 foot swells anchored and took dog on the beach. After going some distance looked back to see my new boat on the beach. I didnt think I could run anymore I also didnt think I could lift the bow of a 4000lb boat. No damage except to my pride I know how to set an anchor must have been a senior moment or SBC.

I have been boating all of my life...but the last few weeks I too have narrowly avoided several SBCs...stupid things on my part....like you said no damage but no doubt my pride to has taken a beating...all I can think is how amateurish.....these things should not happen to someone with 28 years of boating experience. Damn amateur.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-17-2009, 08:56 AM
SBC I love it! Happens to us all. I also have had issues with anchoring on Lake Sup with waves lol.

michael hunter
06-17-2009, 11:51 AM
We are all amateurs at times. Things seem to happen in spurts I hope your SBC is over.

mapleleaf
06-18-2009, 10:23 PM
SBC slowly going away, with the completion of the "could be" list...
Carb rebuilt
Starter solenoid new...
Purring like a kitten, idling really well
Not loving the under load 15 mph +

Still not loving much past half throttle for a long period of time....
seems electrical

cap, rotor, condensor and points monday .......
Fresh gas and I hope that helps.........

csuggs
06-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Leaf - You don't want to consider the electronic ignition before you change the points? I guess they're not for everybody but mine made a big improvement and everyone I know that has made the switch can't say enough good about it. Just a thought . . . .

michael hunter
06-19-2009, 07:39 AM
SBC slowly going away, with the completion of the "could be" list...
Carb rebuilt
Starter solenoid new...
Purring like a kitten, idling really well
Not loving the under load 15 mph +

Still not loving much past half throttle for a long period of time....
seems electrical

cap, rotor, condensor and points monday .......
Fresh gas and I hope that helps.........

Leaf
Does it misfire under load? That is usually a sign of secondary ign breakdown.
Run it at evening or knight and spray the distributor cap,coil and spark plug wires.
look for sparking outside the wires,cap and coil. Or just put a set of spark plug wires on
if they haven't been changed recently. I like Skidim they have PCM ign parts including wires.

mapleleaf
06-19-2009, 07:41 AM
yeah this is a thought, but timing is the issue, I was behind in getting in the water and couldn't diagnose everything in time. Lots to do on these boats!!!I've already scheduled time with the mechanic at my cottage , who can do the points quick and cheap, prolly run that for the summer and see......

mapleleaf
06-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Leaf
Does it misfire under load? That is usually a sign of secondary ign breakdown.
Run it at evening or knight and spray the distributor cap,coil and spark plug wires.
look for sparking outside the wires,cap and coil. Or just put a set of spark plug wires on
if they haven't been changed recently. I like Skidim they have PCM ign parts including wires.

No it's hesitating and sputtering at anything thing past half throttle, once it's warm.....
When cold I can hammer it and she runs great......this usually lasts ten minutes or so, not great for water sports!!!!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
06-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Have you checked the timing yet?? Take your spark plugs out one at a time (dont touch 'em) and make sure they are all sparking or making a clicking noise when placed near the plug hole.

Salty87
06-19-2009, 11:38 AM
doesn't sound like your dist if it works good when it's cold. it could be your coil crapping out.

sucks tracking these things down, hang in there

mapleleaf
06-19-2009, 11:44 AM
process of elimination I guess....can't hurt to replace this stuff if it's old anyway, just want it good for the vaca....
Miff's me a little that things crapped old in the cold of winter....
Mechanic told me that the points, cap, condensor and rotor were do, so I'll do those and if it's the coil I can swap it out along with wires and plugs..
I'm not sure about gapping the points so I'm having that part done, good thing is my timing will be adjusted at the same time.....
I guess I should'a mentioned that after it's warm I get intermitant top end usage, just not as reliable as below 15 mph+, made me think the burnt points weren't keeping up...

michael hunter
06-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Points can cause a lot of strange problems. The contacts can burn and cause the gap to get too large or not make contact at all. The rubbing block[the part that contacts the dist lobe] if not lubed correctly can wear and cause the point gap to be too close.Any change in point gap also changes the timing. That's why you must check timing after you put in or reset the points.

mapleleaf
06-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Points can cause a lot of strange problems. The contacts can burn and cause the gap to get too large or not make contact at all. The rubbing block[the part that contacts the dist lobe] if not lubed correctly can wear and cause the point gap to be too close.Any change in point gap also changes the timing. That's why you must check timing after you put in or reset the points.

That's the other reason that this is something I'm happy to pay for....
At this rate I'll be running great by the end of the season! LOL

mapleleaf
06-23-2009, 04:48 PM
ok so had the points, cap, rotor, condensor done....still acting up.....
Why when I thought it wasn't getting enough fuel, didn't I think of the fuel filter......
$337.13 later it rocks fuel filter, and tune up have made all the diffference...the boat I bought last August is back and then some.......
the fuel filter would'a cost me $10, lesson learned.I wish I could show you guys the filter that came out of her, no wonder she was upset.....