PDA

View Full Version : I got a leak

Hematoma
06-15-2009, 08:05 AM
I got an oil leak coming from somewhere? I changed the valve cover gaskets not to long ago went with the felpro blue ones. Its not leaking from those. and its not a drip oil leak, as in a I cant see it dripping on the bilge floor. I have an oil residue on everything in the bilge.

Only thing I can think of is the oilpan gasket or where the dipstick tube goes into the oilpan Anyone changed the pan gasket while the motor was still in the boat?

csuggs
06-15-2009, 08:53 AM
I have a little oil residue in my bilge as well - I think mine is the rear main because it seams to be more concentrate under that part of the motor. Don't know if that would be the same on yours or not. If it is only a trace, and your oil level stays good, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Changing the pan gasket looks tricky from in the boat.

tg0824SSVGG
06-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Hematoma,

DO you have a 'remote' oil filter? on my old boat - the connections for that had
come loose - and I have heard a few people say the same on here.

Check those connections.

Hematoma
06-15-2009, 09:37 AM
I have a little oil residue in my bilge as well - I think mine is the rear main because it seams to be more concentrate under that part of the motor. Don't know if that would be the same on yours or not. If it is only a trace, and your oil level stays good, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Changing the pan gasket looks tricky from in the boat.CS That was a place I checked first for residue front seal and rear those areas seem ok. My oil level stays good.

Hematoma,

DO you have a 'remote' oil filter? on my old boat - the connections for that had
come loose - and I have heard a few people say the same on here.

Check those connections.No TG I dont have a remote oil filter. I do have a drain hose thats screwed into the drain hole on the pan. Maybe thats my culprit. Hard to tell because there is no significant oil on the engine like you usually get from a leak.