PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Supra Comp Ts6m Ignition Problem?

ChadDouglas
06-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey guys, I've been lurking the forums for quite some time and really appreciate all the helpful info. However, now I've got to actually post because I am stuck!!!

We have a 1992 Supra Comp. It has 950 hours. Not a ton of problems, had to rebuild the tranny once but other than that it has been pretty simple.

So here's the dilemna: We were out on the lake this weekend cruising along at about 25mph and all of a sudden the boat made a loud clank and we yanked the throttle back. It didn't die, but sputtereed a little and then set to idle. After a minute or two we put it back in gear and we were able to drive it back to the dock at about 20mph with not problem. The next day was a similar situation. We used the boat for an entire hour at speeds from 20 to 30 mph with no problems. Then on our way back to the dock (And close to it htankfully) at about 25mph it did the exact same thingl it made a big "clank" noise and this time the boat died. However, once again I could start it right back up and drove it home at about 20mph with no problems.

After the repeat occurrance I went into trouble shooting mode. My first concern was the noise it made. It made me think it was the internals of the engine. However, I can sit at idle with the engine cover up and spool it up to 3800-4000rpms and it just hums. Not even a bit of vibration or leaking oil or any sign of engine damage. Additionally I've kept a close eye on the engine temp and oil pressure and they've been constant and at normal levels these past few days. So, in neutral I have not been able to get the engine to cut out. However, once I put the boat in gear and get up to about 25 or 30 mph it will go "clank" and the engine will either die or if I am quick on getting the throttle back to idle I can sometimes save it and get it to settle in at idle.

Here are the things I can thing it might be:

Transmission: possible, but it doesnt seem likely since it shifts perfectly to neutral, forward, and reverse without any issues. I can't think of a failure mode where something in the transmission would bind under load for just a second, killing the engine, and then work fine afterwards.....

Fuel: If the engine was completely and instantly starved of fuel it might go "clank" and act as it is. I pulled the fuel pump (which was replaced about 2 years ago) and it has great compression and is pumping just fine. I also checked the fuel filter and it was clean an no water or contamination was present so I dont think it's losing fuel.

Carb: not sure how this would cause the issue, but I thought I'd take a peak anyways. Looks clean and seems to be operating normally. We've had no carbuerator problems since it was rebuilt a few years back.

Spark: I'm thinking that the clank might be the result of the engine not recieving what it needs to continue running (air, spark, fuel) and it's just dying instantaneously and making a noise in the process. Could the problematic electronic ignition be failing intermittently and causing this issue? It sounds possible but I am a little curious as to why it would be so intermittent and I was not able to reproduce it unless the engine was under load.

Any thoughts? I don't really just want to start replacing things without some idea of what's wrong, but at this point we can't get too far from the dock so I am ready to start figuring this out! Thanks in advance for your help-

csuggs
06-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Timing maybe? Since it only happens in a certain RPM-range maybe the distributor is not advancing properly? I'm probably not much help, but those are my initial thoughts.

gerdy
06-15-2009, 04:20 PM
i would look and see if you have carbon build up in your distribitor cap. maybe at high rpm it could be sending spark to more than one cylinder... not likely but id look at it... good luck!

ChadDouglas
06-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Hey guys, Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post!

I wish that I could just pull the distributor cap and take a look at it, but this thing has got an electronic ignition system. I referred to it as "problematic" because I have heard through the rumor mill that they have issues and need to be replaced at a pretty hefty price. If I have to go that route I was hoping to find someone that might at least concur that that system can fail in such a strange way.

Keep the ideas coming!!!

Thanks-

jasonba1
06-15-2009, 07:07 PM
I have the same exact boat as yours Chad but I have not had that problem yet. Sorry you are having that trouble but if you dont mind once you figure it out will you post so it may help me out in the future

ChadDouglas
06-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Jason, I'll definitely let you know what I find out. Currently everything I have found points to the coil pack on the electronic ignition. Unfortunately they don't make parts for it anymore and you have to switch to a distributor based system. They make a kit to do the conversion and it runs about $450. I'll let you know if I end up going that route and if it fixes the problem.... Thanks-

jasonba1
06-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Hey Chad let me talk to Jim at Viper and see if he has any suggestion or see if he knows where he can get one more reasonable. I will talk to him tomorrow and let you know

ChadDouglas
06-17-2009, 10:19 AM
I sent an email describing my issue to Vince at Skidim. Here is what they said:

"That's a weird symptom. We would check the drive line first (prop, strut, shaft seal, shaft coupler), and make sure they were all tight. The next thing we would check would be the damper plate, which is bolted to the flywheel. They will make a clanking noise, but they usually blow apart and you loose forward and reverse. If those look good, then we would look at the transmission, then the engine, and see if we could determine where the clank is coming from."

Unfortunately it's not that easy because I can only get the boat to do it while in gear at 25 mph...so I guess I will have to take the engine cover off and sit next to an engine that makes a really loud clanking noise and see if I can figure out where it's coming from......

ChadDouglas
06-23-2009, 08:47 AM
So, in lieu of biting the $500 bullet for an ignition conversion system I opted to go back to square one and just do some general maintenance stuff. I pulled every electrical plug I could find and cleaned the contacts. I checked the fuel filter for debris and found nothing. I took the fuel pump off and it looked perfected with no gas in the oil where it mounts. Finally, I swapped in fresh park plugs as the existing ones are a few years old. After doing all this I put her back in the water and fired it up. I only had time to put about an hour on the boat but it performed flawlessly with no hint of the previous issue. So, I now have mixed emotions. In reality I didn't fix anything and I don't know what was causing the issue previously . If it never happens again then I guess all worked out for the best...I am just hoping it doesn't leave me stranded on a gorgeous day sometime soon..... I'll be back if this issue re-occurs. Thanks everyone for the input!