PDA

View Full Version : How to put a Pylon Extension on a 86 Saltare?

Blitanicle99
06-15-2009, 02:47 PM
So I'm new here, my dad has had our Saltare since 92 and now I own it.

Its been restored twice, I gotta wax it and clean it up a bit more for my liking. I am about to put a nice Kenwood sound system in it, as well as dual batteries and probably a bigger alternator.

Anyways, I am young (21) and do my wakeboarding thing almost every other day... Living on the lake has its advantages :D

Anyways, I'm not allowed to drill holes for a full tower so I must settle for a pylon extender.

How does one do this? Whats the cheapest way?

*I would rather not cut the "ears" off my current pylon. I would rather replace with one I could use with a universal pylon extender.

Thanks again.

RED WINE ROCKER
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Well...it was easy until you said something about the ears.......i did this on my TS6M worked great....except SUPRA had a leaning back pylon in '95 that makes the whole pylon lean back (lean-wit-it!)....but it worked fine.....i do not think your gonna be able to keep the "ears" and have a pole.....and a pole makes a big differance.

good luck youngin' !:rolleyes:

http://www.waterskis.com/Fly-High-Stainless-Steel-Pylon-Extension-p/fly%20high%20stainless%20pylon.htm

87SunSportMikeyD
06-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Your boat is now one of the most sought-after older wake machines. I would get a good tower because it is an investment an good for resale these days.

wotan2525
06-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Absolutely.... a tower on that boat is only going to add to your ability to resell it. An extended pylon will hamper your ability to sell it.

Nobody wants this boat as a slalom or barefoot machine. I promise you.

wake beater
06-15-2009, 05:11 PM
i have a 10 ' pole extension,that I'm going to sell.Mounting my tower right now.It is in great shape everything included,250 and its yours.

saltare inverts
06-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I have a 86 Saltare. What a great boat huh. Either cut the ears or put on a tower. I had a SKi Naughty before. Took off tower when I sold it(but I told buyer about holes). I just put foam traction strips were holes were. Worked perfect. If its yours, like you say. Drill it. Dad will get over it and it will look much better. Glad your here.

wake beater
06-15-2009, 11:52 PM
tower is offically installed,just one bow playpen backrest to install,which did not even need to come off.
Should of felt around on carpeted wall in back of battery storage area.
What a difference,so stoked.Hittin the Little Shuswap tomorrow,+ 30 c.....
Oh ya 2 8" bazooka tower speakers installed also...

saltare inverts
06-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Pictures are now in order. We need pics my man.

Blitanicle99
06-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Your boat is now one of the most sought-after older wake machines. I would get a good tower because it is an investment an good for resale these days.

Hmm, Its old and it still kicks alot of ass. I have spent some serious time wrenching on this thing, its never going to get sold. For now, I'm not drilling holes. It sits on a hydro-horse lift so the tower would hit the ceiling of the dock.

Absolutely.... a tower on that boat is only going to add to your ability to resell it. An extended pylon will hamper your ability to sell it.
Nobody wants this boat as a slalom or barefoot machine. I promise you.

Again, this is not a for sale boat... ever. Never plan on selling it, so resale value means nothing to me. If I buy another boat, itll be a newer Supra but I won't be selling this one. Its in INCREDIBLE shape, its been babied all its life.

i have a 10 ' pole extension,that I'm going to sell.Mounting my tower right now.It is in great shape everything included,250 and its yours.

PM me pictures or something, or email them.

TravisBenson121(at)gmail(dot)com

I have a 86 Saltare. What a great boat huh. Either cut the ears or put on a tower. I had a SKi Naughty before. Took off tower when I sold it(but I told buyer about holes). I just put foam traction strips were holes were. Worked perfect. If its yours, like you say. Drill it. Dad will get over it and it will look much better. Glad your here.

Sweet, does yours have the 454 or the 350? Mine has the 454, its a such a beast :D

Again, I am not drilling holes in this boat, its too damn nice. Everything has been restored. Its been to Supra and had the stringers replaced, full synthetic, no wood at all. Interior is been completely replaced... everything. It would kill me to drill holes in this boat, I grew up on it and its just not happening.

Anyways, so can I replace the pylon with a better one for the extension thingy?

Curtis
06-16-2009, 02:01 AM
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/CMC_08_photo/ATT1198925.jpg

This is what i got on my comp..its not an extension, just one piece, i can get better pics if you want..just showing you the power of the pole!!..LOL

Just as tall as any tower, works great

Granted a tower would look pretty sweet with the sound and lights but until then........

saltare inverts
06-16-2009, 11:46 AM
All the new boats have a tower. Drill it.

wake beater
06-16-2009, 12:02 PM
having issue's uploading pics,keeps saying file failed

87SunSportMikeyD
06-16-2009, 12:13 PM
what format are the pics in? JPG? They also cannot be bigger than a certain pixel size. This is why I load mine onto wakeboarder.com gallery because they automatically resize the pics for pixels and quality. They also give you a full- and medium-sized version so you can use whichever you choose.

Loadup
06-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Time to come to the surface I have just been trolling for knowledge and I can now relate to this one. Last season I purchased a 90 model Saltare (mint) and feel the same about drilling holes so I did what you are wanting to do. But you have to loose the ears on shorty pole. I did this about 3 weeks ago and You can leave a nub that really does not look that bad. The "T" is a solid rod and when filed it leaves a nice silver end to the black rod. Remove ears (10 min) Slide nylon mesh over shorty pole to protect finish (1 min) Slide base pole over shorty (1 min) Add taller extension to base (1 min) Attach harness to front of boat (2 min) and your ready to go in 15 min tops .Mine is a skylon pole and man what a difference. Now people can sit in back of boat with out getting rope whipped and out of my way while driving.

Curtis
06-16-2009, 05:24 PM
When you don't have a pylon pole, what are the Ladies gonna DANCE on!!???....

Past experience tells me, STICK with the PYLON!!! :D

87SunSportMikeyD
06-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Ya know I thought I heard someone say the ears on the factory pylon can actually be pounded out. Has anyone tried this?

Blackntan90
06-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes, just knock it out with a deadblow hammer- thats how my dealer does it.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Blitanicle,

That sounds like one sweet resto. Please post pics soon, I wanna see this old girl.

Also, listen to your dad, don't you dare drill a hole in that new boat (for now). :D

I'd bet that others are right that that crossbar is just press fit in there. Check and see if there is a seam or if it is welded up. The hammer will probably work, but the aluminum tube pylon will oscillate quite a bit considering you're striking the tube 4 feet from its base.

If the hammer doesn't work you can also try and press it out with just a basic C-clamp from the wal mart.

Try both and see which works.

RED WINE ROCKER
06-17-2009, 04:36 PM
"Curtis".....looks like you bent the pole in middle to be straight up....very cool!..Home job?

ps: Thanks for 'da pic! ( we are addicted...)

Salty87
06-17-2009, 05:07 PM
when i had a pylon, the base that slides over the factory pylon didn't come off until i got a tower. in fact, it was locked on pretty tight. was a pain to bust lose. after i cut the ears off the pylon, never saw it again. just left the base in place for however many years.

life is so much better with a tower....drill that puppy!

Hematoma
06-17-2009, 05:15 PM
I bet it has a tower on it within a yr, and holes all in that mofo!

michael hunter
06-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Blitanical
I found this company on CCFan they make a clamp on fixture to put an extended pylon.
Check it out and see if it will work for you. tachyon motorsports.

charlies86supra
06-20-2009, 11:24 PM
your "ears" are pressed into your pylon with a bfh and a block of wood you can get rid of the "ears" and have them to reinstall if you wanted at a later date

rludtke
06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
How does one do this? Whats the cheapest way?

*I would rather not cut the "ears" off my current pylon. I would rather replace with one I could use with a universal pylon extender.

Hi Blit,

I purchased a used 10' pole and mounted it right over my stock pylon. My stock pylon also features "ears", but the cross peice nocked right out with a large hammer. The extension fits right over the top. It leans backward, but that doesn't cause any problem. You can see pictures of my set up on my profile.

angus2112
06-24-2009, 10:37 AM
i have a custom pole that will fit into your mount it has a quick release so it splits buy pulling 2 pins i built my own tower so i do not use it and will sell it to you here is a pic if you are interested in it send me a pm

tomelenbaas
06-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Assuming your pylon is the same as I have on my '88 Mariah, the "ears" do not need to be sawed off. The horizontal rod (the "ears") is just sleeved into the pylon through a hole. It's a tight fit, but with a little bit of care your can pound out the horizontal rod. Use a small piece of a 2x4 so that you're not hammering directly on the end of the "ear." It may take a few strikes to break it loose, but you should be able to remove it from the pylon, intact for a future re-install. You can put it back the same way (although I usually shoot it with a bit of WD-40 to make the reinstall easier.

BUT - the Mariah pylon cants to the stern of the boat (I assume yours does too) at a pretty good angle. Your pylon extender is going to have quite a lean to it, which will be accentuated even more with the bow rise while you're under way. Unless you're dead set against drilling holes, a folding tower is a much better bet. I have a two-story trailer (PWC's are craned to a platform over the boat) so I had to have a tower designed that folded completely flat.