PDA

View Full Version : Help! should I buy this boat?

wannabeskier
06-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Hello,

This is my first time on the site and it appears to me that there are a lot of great people with a lot of valuable information.

I was just approached by a coworker who has a friend that is going through a divorce and needs cash so he is going to sell his Supra.

I went for a ride in the boat today and here's how I would describe it....

1990 ts comp (20ft) (not exactly sure on the name)
650hrs on boat but completely rebuilt 350 engine with 10 hours.
hull in great shape--not too many scratches
interior is a disaster--no rotting but all the vinyl needs to be replaced and it needs a new drivers seat.
carpet needs replacing
tach and speedos don't work
nice stereo system with an amp
hot water shower and heater
decent single axle trailer
little bit of vibration--may need new prop
great power-hole shot

What do you think I should pay for this boat based on the info above.
Note-my coworker is a mechanic and says the rebuilt engine is great.

Thanks for any help and hopefully I'll be a fellow supra owner.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-16-2009, 08:11 PM
hey there wbs! Welcome.

First things first, what do you want to USE the boat for? If you are mostly skiing, you are on the right track. If you want to mostly wakeboard, you might want to consider a SunSport or Saltare.

Right off the bat I am suspicuous of the condition of the stringers. If the interior is shot, and the carpet, why would the floor and stringers not be shot? This could also cause the vibration. Check the motor mounts and look under/behind the rear bench seat to be sure. Look at the prop, if there is not visable damage, it may not be the prop.

If the stringers are bad I would offer him 3-5k. If they are good, 5-6k. It's no super deal to jump on, but doesn't look like something to walk away from either. The market is good as a buyer now and older Supras are fairly common. Gotta know if you ski or board tho.

Montgomery
06-16-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm with Mikey if the interior is all F-ed up that would make me think it had possibly sat out in the weather uncovered for quite some time and if that's the case there is a very good chance the stringers will have to be replaced. I would definitely get inside it and hop around a bit and check the engine/trans mounts and make sure the bolts don't turn by hand or even try and rock the engine side to side. Start it up and watch the motor to see if it shakes a lot or kicks around at all. I know some people that use these for wakeboarding and even put ballast in them and get a decent wake but if what you want is a wake boat I would look at one of the bigger Supras. The Comps do make very nice cruising boats so if you just want to board occasionally and just use it mainly for hanging out on the water in a cool boat then I'd say go for it if everything checks out. Got pics ?

DKJBama92Mariah
06-16-2009, 09:10 PM
...If the stringers are bad I would offer him 3-5k. If they are good, 5-6k

Fixed that for ya :D

I agree with Mikey here; probably $3-4.5k if the stringers and floor are shot and $5-6k if both were in perfect shape. NADA Guides shows $5k average retail and $4,450 for low retail.

EDIT:
After seeing Mongomery's post, I agree with everything he said. Solid advice. A+ to the Razorback.

wannabeskier
06-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks a lot for all the great advice.

I will be using it for skiing only and I may even fix the interior and sell it. I'm not familiar with what stringers are but I would have it looked over by a mechanic before I would consider buying it. I think I could pick it up as is for 3K so it may be worth doing regardless. I'm going to arrange to pick it up and take it to a mechanic within the next few days. I will get some pics and post them. Any thoughts on what I should expect to pay for new vinyl throughout?

Thanks again

Montgomery
06-17-2009, 12:58 PM
I was quoted $2000 to have mine redone but I work at a car dealership and the guy that quoted it was a friend of a friend so that may be cheaper than normal I'm not real sure

87SunSportMikeyD
06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Stringers are like the 2x4s of a house they are the support structure and they are under the floor fiberglassed to the hull. Stringer and floor repair would be 2-3k. Full Interior overhaul would be 2-3k as well.

If you can get the boat for 3k, these repairs for say 5k, would would be sitting pretty at about 8k which is a good price for a working boat.

Montgomery
06-17-2009, 01:34 PM
If you can get the boat for 3k, these repairs for say 5k, would would be sitting pretty at about 8k which is a good price for a working boat.

Definitely agree with Mikey

jasonba1
06-18-2009, 06:41 AM
1500-1800 for 3 color and custom embrodiery interior in Knoxville