PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Brake Actuator

saltare inverts
06-16-2009, 09:05 PM
I found my brake line had a cut in it. I fixed my line and now want to bleed the brakes. Does anyone how to bleed breaks on my trailer? It is the style that puts the breaks on as your vehicle stops and puts preesure on actuator between trailer and truck. Hitting Bull Shoals next week, one of the last must fixs before trip.

csuggs
06-16-2009, 09:16 PM
It's gonna take two people, just like bleeding car brakes. One to open the bleeders on the back side of the drum plates and the other to compress the piston on the actuator. I used a pry bar to push against the actuator.

FoiltechLaunch21V
06-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Yep I agree with CSuggs that will work. That's the way I bled mine.

saltare inverts
06-16-2009, 09:46 PM
What did you put prybar against. I know I am trying to move actuator but am missing the picture.

McDye
06-16-2009, 11:31 PM
I believe his is implying to use a prybar against the actuator to get good presure on it as someone cracks the bleeder valves on the hub.

csuggs
06-17-2009, 06:11 AM
I believe his is implying to use a prybar against the actuator to get good presure on it as someone cracks the bleeder valves on the hub.

Yes - pressure against the actuator to simulate braking. Then, with pressure on the actuator, crack the bleeder. Remember to keep pressure on the actuator until the bleeder is closed, then release pressure and repeat the steps until all the air is out of the lines. After doing both sides you'll probably want to go back to each side to check for air again.

Salty87
06-17-2009, 11:02 AM
i used the same process...look under the coupler and you might see a piston under there. i used a big screwdriver, wedge it in there and pump the piston.

i've read that other people suggest you try to get the actuator lower than the brakes so air will go back to the bleeders easier. i don't know how much that helps or not.

wotan2525
06-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I've also heard of taking the hitch out of the truck receiver... mounting the trailer to it and then actuating it up and down with a pipe. I'll be doing mine at some point this summer.

S_I -- did you replace the brake lines with rubber lines or solid? How hard was it to do?

saltare inverts
06-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I used solid. I felt like it would not get cut with vibration like rubber. It was actually quite easy.

Blackntan90
06-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah, just use your drawbar from your truck, it locks right in there so it can't slip and send you into the ground! Remember to bleed the right rear first, then left rear,right front, and left front- repeat a couple of times

bellsons
06-18-2009, 09:56 PM
gravity bleed
remove lid from actuator, (completely removing one bleeder tip at a time) let it drain for 30-60 seconds, refill resovoir then do the other side
works for me.
one man job

saltare inverts
06-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks bellsons. That is worth a try.

csuggs
06-19-2009, 06:28 AM
gravity bleed
remove lid from actuator, (completely removing one bleeder tip at a time) let it drain for 30-60 seconds, refill resovoir then do the other side
works for me.
one man job

Never thought of that - next time i need to do it by myself I'll try that! Thanks.