PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Adjustments

csuggs
06-17-2009, 08:40 AM
I have a B&M tandem axle trailer for my 86 Sunsport. The boat sits higher on the trailer than what I like (3" above the fenders), making it a little difficult to launch and even more difficult to load. I want to lower the boat in the trailer (plenty of clearance underneath) as much as possible without modifying axles and fenders. So here's my question for you guys - The bunks on my trailer are made of 4x4 lumber, and there is only one bunk on each side of the trailer. I wonder if I could cut them down or replace them with 2x4 or 2x6 material to effectively lower the boat 2" - is a 2-by strong enough to handle the load? Or maybe I could cut the 4x4 down to 2". What do you think? Another option is to lower the 4x4 bunks, which I can do, but requires some modification to the bunk supports which will mean that I have to take the supports to a fab shop.

michael hunter
06-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Mine uses 2x4s but it has two on each side. Can you take some pics of your trailer?

csuggs
06-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Go to my profile and look at the pics in the album. That's the best I can do for now.

Another option is to have more supports fabricated and then add another set of bunks and switch to 2x4 material.

Salty87
06-17-2009, 11:06 AM
my trailer has 2x4's standing on end, not laying flat. it's got an inside set and an outside set though like michael's.

maybe you could switch from leaf springs to airbags and just flip a switch to lower for the ramp, raise it back up for the ride home...;) don't forget the neon lights too lol

wotan2525
06-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm going the opposite direction... My boat sits so low on the trailer that the skeggs sit on top of one of the trailer cross braces. It's odd because there is NO clearance between them but the skeggs have never been bent. It has cut my brakeline though... so.... when I repair that brakeline I'm going to replace the trailer bunks with something slightly taller.

Blackntan90
06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
My trailer is a sweetwater-circa 1990, the boat sits low like wotans- the skegs do not touch, though it is close. My bunks are more like 2x6's on edge, and there are 4 of them- there may be a picture in my profile.

chautauquasun
06-18-2009, 11:59 PM
I have a B&M tandem axle trailer for my 86 Sunsport. The boat sits higher on the trailer than what I like (3" above the fenders), making it a little difficult to launch and even more difficult to load. I want to lower the boat in the trailer (plenty of clearance underneath) as much as possible without modifying axles and fenders. So here's my question for you guys - The bunks on my trailer are made of 4x4 lumber, and there is only one bunk on each side of the trailer. I wonder if I could cut them down or replace them with 2x4 or 2x6 material to effectively lower the boat 2" - is a 2-by strong enough to handle the load? Or maybe I could cut the 4x4 down to 2". What do you think? Another option is to lower the 4x4 bunks, which I can do, but requires some modification to the bunk supports which will mean that I have to take the supports to a fab shop.

Clint I am sure this isnt the case...but the picture showing the back view almost looks like your bunks are adjustable. It looks like there is a frame and then almost like an adjustable bolt on each frame extension. I am sure you would have seen that...but the pic makes it look like it.

csuggs
06-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Yes, the bunks are adjustable up and down and there's room to lower the stern, but I need to lower the bow which is already down almost to it's limit. I need to have the front two supports on each side shortened so that there is more adjustment in the front, then I can also lower the back.

mapleleaf
06-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Just a thought and probably a little pricey, but wouldn't a 2 X 4 or 6 galvanized bunk that was carpeted or something be strong enough... That would be in place of having the usual 4 bunk configuration??? Come to think of it, depending on far between your supports maybe a 2x6 on the flat would be strong enough, I know it's a big maybe......
The bunks off my trailer (eagle) are 2 X material on the flat, but there are 4 out side is a 2x6 inside 10 footer's are 2x4

csuggs
06-19-2009, 09:33 AM
I'll have to measure between supports. I know there are 5 of them and I also thought about laying a 2x6 on the flat. Just thought of this: If I use a 2x6 on the flat it would be wide enough to attach angle iron to the underside for strength without interfering with the supports themselves.

mapleleaf
06-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Yeah that's a great idea...not to mention super strong....
I used pressure treated lumber that I coated 3 times with more pressure treating ( end coat). They got rained on precarpet and were like a waxed car.....

87SunSportMikeyD
06-19-2009, 11:07 AM
My boat also rides very low on the original factory trailer. It should be visible in the first pic I posted on my Pride&Joy thread. The sides of the boat actually touch the wheel wells and the bow of the boat also rides very low. It is very stable to drive and the dual axles make it much less wobbly although slightly harder to turn. Also first time with trailer brakes which really help!

mapleleaf
06-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Clint, I was just looking at your trailer in your file and I know this might be a ton of trouble and money, but if you had wider axles, your boat would have a much easier time sitting lower.....
Maybe a project for next winter????
For now I'd put a snorkel on the truck!!!!!!

csuggs
06-19-2009, 06:30 PM
I thought the same thing about the axles, Leaf. I've kinda been watching for a set that I can get for the right price. I might have room if I were to simply space the wheels about ½" on each side or buy dished rims, then remove the fenders and have the back side of them shaved at an angle, then new plywood and carpet and I'd be set. But that's another project and I'm really trying to avoid any new projects right now. I've got a big one sitting in the driveway that I've got to get done :(

mapleleaf
06-19-2009, 11:30 PM
I hear ya, enjoy your time on the water...

csuggs
06-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Here are some pics of what I'm dealing with on the trailer. I think that I will order some additional bunk supports and install a set of inner bunks, then change them all over to 2x4 material - lowering the boat 2". Then I can still adjust the boat down further if I move the axle/fender assembly to the rear of the trailer enough to allow clearance for the deeper part of the freeboard. This will add some tongue-weight, but I don't think that will be an issue. See what you think.

Salty87
06-21-2009, 07:35 PM
the second pic makes it look like the boat completely covers the fenders...can't step on them?

the brackets look pretty serious. is there room to move them out wider? you might get an extra 1/2" or so along with the 2x4 due to the shape of the hull.

i think you're headed in the right direction.

csuggs
06-21-2009, 07:38 PM
the second pic makes it look like the boat completely covers the fenders...can't step on them?

the brackets look pretty serious. is there room to move them out wider? you might get an extra 1/2" or so along with the 2x4 due to the shape of the hull.

i think you're headed in the right direction.

Yeah, I can step on the fenders, pics are a little deceiving. I probably could move the outer bunks farther out if I add inner bunks, and that would give me a little more adjustment without having to modify the support itself. Good idea, thanks!

mapleleaf
06-22-2009, 02:36 PM
I agree that you're headed in the right direction. IMO an inner set of bunks makes the ride easier on the boat and trailer, displace that load as nuch as possible.... The tolerance to your fender's may get tight, but they shouldn't be moving anyway. I think it's great that you mighht get 2" of drop w/o buying a new trailer...
It's nap time at the cottage, waiting on the youngster to get up, and the boats getting points done.......what else would I do but check the board?????LOL

csuggs
06-22-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm glad to have some input and support before I start making these adjustments - Thanks! I made a call last night to get permission to use a hoist in my cousin-in-law's shop to lift the boat off the trailer while I do the work. I'm going to use the lifting eyes with two seperate hoists directly over each lifting point. Hopefully they hold!

mapleleaf
06-22-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm glad to have some input and support before I start making these adjustments - Thanks! I made a call last night to get permission to use a hoist in my cousin-in-law's shop to lift the boat off the trailer while I do the work. I'm going to use the lifting eyes with two seperate hoists directly over each lifting point. Hopefully they hold!

Clint !!!! I had some strange stuff happen when I hoisted my boat, 20 yrs old some rot trouble.... I used the hoisting points with absolutely vertical lift as described in the owners manuel, and I noticed some deflection in the way the hull took the hoisting...
Basically there was some sagging that I noticed when putting the trailer back under it, a gap appeared as the walk through windshield pulled aprt, like the boat was flatting, I think do to fatigue and age. Didn't seem to affect the boat, but you never now, I felt way better with the underside on blocking as it only changed shape while I was hoisting.....
I can definitley explain this better over the phone:
I'm at 231 352 4417 if you need to know more!!!!
John

csuggs
06-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Hey John - I knew there was a reason I posted this thread prior to doing the work. The Lord is good and he's watching out for me . . . . once again! It makes a lot of sense that if the stringers are weak, then lifting the boat by the for and aft lifting points would allow for deflection in the hull, especially with the weight of the motor in the center of the boat, unlike the v-drives. Probably some deflection is expected even with good stringers, but with mine I could be taking a chance. Maybe the best thing to do is make my trailer adjustments when the boat is in the water. Hmmmmm . . . . .

csuggs
06-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Has anyone tried any of the hard plastic covers for your bunks that are supposed to make the boat easier to launch and load?

Salty87
06-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Has anyone tried any of the hard plastic covers for your bunks that are supposed to make the boat easier to launch and load?

i bought some but returned them. they would have had the boat sitting about 1 1/2" higher. also had a disclaimer about hull scuffing. i didn't want my boat sitting higher and didn't want to find out about scuffs.

ever try silicone spray?

csuggs
06-24-2009, 03:20 PM
No, never tried that. I suppose that could help. At some point I intend to replace the bunk carpet and was just thinking about using something different.

mapleleaf
06-24-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that dunk'in the bunks before you load the boat produces the same slippery setup.......

Blackntan90
06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Thats what I do also, dunk the bunks! My boat still slides back about 3-4" when coming up a steep ramp, even with the winch strap tight and safety chain hooked up!

mapleleaf
06-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Hey John - I knew there was a reason I posted this thread prior to doing the work. The Lord is good and he's watching out for me . . . . once again! It makes a lot of sense that if the stringers are weak, then lifting the boat by the for and aft lifting points would allow for deflection in the hull, especially with the weight of the motor in the center of the boat, unlike the v-drives. Probably some deflection is expected even with good stringers, but with mine I could be taking a chance. Maybe the best thing to do is make my trailer adjustments when the boat is in the water. Hmmmmm . . . . .

All I know is that it almost scared something I see in diaper's outta me, and I'm pretty sure I won't be doing it again! I like the boat in the water idea a whole lot!!!!

csuggs
06-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah - the more I think about it, the better I like the boat in the water too. Thanks for the heads-up on that!

mapleleaf
06-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Gonna try and upload a photo here, looking at it still freaks me out!!!
Doing the work on the trailer was sooooo good, just towed it 700km, no problem's!!!!!

csuggs
06-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Put the boat in the water this afternoon for a short session, and there was no one at the ramp so I adjusted my bunks right there after I put the boat in. It's not much lower, but noticeable to me. I will try it for a while and see if it helps launching and loading. ;)

And I noticed something else. Someone made a comment not long ago about their boat leaning in the water. I thought that mine did too, but after looking closer today, I realized that it is only an illusion caused by the waterline stripes being slightly lower on one side than the other!

mapleleaf
06-26-2009, 10:39 PM
I have noticed this lean with my boat, it's definitely leaning, I wonder if it's my wake plate not squared up???

csuggs
06-26-2009, 11:36 PM
I was talking about a "lean" in the water when it's just sitting there floating - like it doesn't float evenly. But I really think its more of an illusion than anything to worry about - because I measured the distances to the water-line tape and they are not the same.
If the boat leans in the water while under power could that even be the torque of the motor? It's my understanding that nearly all gas engines run counter-clockwise (left-hand) as looking at the motor from the rear towards the front. So if you have a 1:1 drive your prop will also be left-hand and the torque would tend to cause the boat to list to starboard. Does that sound right? And if you have a gear reducer in your drive with a right-hand prop, the torque of the motor and the prop would work against each other and tend to balance things out a bit more?
I'm probably way off - but it's a theory. An 11:35pm theory for a guy that normally goes to bed around 10:00! Have some fun with this one guys - it's too late for me! :D

mapleleaf
06-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Yeah and you post up early usually!!! I have a 1:23 gear reducing tranny, probably have those numbers off alittle, wakeboarding makes you groggy!
So my prop is RH and my boat leans to the starboard, only under power...Could also have to do with me noticing it while I'm in it alone, and only having weight on the starboard side, these Conbrio's react quickly to weight being added moved around, etc......
I'll pay a little more attention to it today.....

csuggs
06-27-2009, 08:03 AM
I will too - was out yesterday and again this afternoon. Have a good day on the water!
Clint

mapleleaf
06-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Wish I could stay at the cottage all summer, the boats ina hoist at the end of the dock......doesn't get much better!!!I'm not used to this sweet set up, don't know how I'll feel when I'm back in the city!!
enjoy your cruising!!!

csuggs
06-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Great day on the water today. And the adjustments I made to my trailer seem to have paid off. It loads easier and since I also added a deep "V-shaped" roller under the bow, the boat centers itself on the trailer much better too!

mapleleaf
06-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Awesome, like wise a great day on the water! Boat doing exactly what it's supposed to, besides the odd detail I haven't gotten too!
Finally found my prop size, stamped on the collar, hidden by the nut a bit.
14 X 16 cup, does this seem right for a comp hull and a 351????