PDA

View Full Version : Water in Gas Tank

Mattyman
06-17-2009, 10:12 AM
I have an 86 Comp ts6m and it has been running fine that past few times I was out. However, last week when I had it out it started surging and then would just die. After some time trying, it would fire up again. At a slow idle it would be fine but anymore than that and it would eventually die.

I took off the fuel filter/water separator and could tell that there was water in there. I then took off the carb because I plan on rebuiding it and when we dumped the fuel out, there was also water mixed in with the gas. My guess put it at about 20% water.

It looks like my problem is water getting into the gas tank. I did have a few large waves come up over the back of my boat but the only thing I can think is water is coming in from the fuel vent. My boat sits low in the water and water could be getting in from waves or even when the boat is moving from water spray.

Are there fuel vents with check valves that won't allow water to enter? Any other ideas on what I can do or check to resolve this issue?

csuggs
06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't think a check valve would work because once the water got into the hose that connects the vent to the tank, it would not allow the gas vapors to vent to atmosphere. Can you relocate the vent somehow? I haven't thought this through completely, but what about putting a loop in the hose that goes between the tank and external vent. Then put a hole in the bottom of the loop to drain any water that would get in the hose. The vapor should still vent externally because it's lighter than the air or water in the hose. Or better yet, you could use a "T" fitting in the bottom of the loop and run another hose from the bottom of the "T" over to your bilge area.

I would also visually inspect the tank and make sure there are no other avenues for water to enter. When I had my tank out, I noticed two places on the top of the tank that had been welded, like there was a tear or rip in the aluminum. I don't know if the tank was repaired prior to installation at the plant or later, but that would be a definite place water could enter.

michael hunter
06-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Is this a one time event? Is it possible you got the water at the gas station? I dont think you could get 20% water in through the vent . Check out all other possibilities. Siphon the fuel out as much as possible add a couple bottles of heet in the tank and put in good fuel. See how it goes.

hoosier skier
06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
I struggled with this problem with my 84 TS6M for years before I found a shielded tank vent at West Marine. I believe it is made by Atwood company but don't know if it's still avail. I also installed a fuel seperator with a bottom bleader valve that allow's you to drain any acc. water without removing the seperator. PM me if you need any help

saltare inverts
06-18-2009, 10:43 PM
I had same problem. My back exhaust was leaking and so was my tank. Two screws put in when she was built rubbed the gas tank slowly over the years. They put two holes in tank. I got water in tank and gas was leaking into bilge. Had to take out tank, reweld tank and fix exhaust leak and all is good now.

csuggs
06-19-2009, 06:25 AM
Gotta be careful welding those gas tanks, huh? ;)

saltare inverts
06-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Yea, I washed it out I think 10 times and I was still nervous. I got it done without lossing any facial hair.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Wow that is a PITA! Any good marine store should have some gas vent solutions. West Marine, Rex Marine, Overtons, Boaters Outlet

Mattyman
06-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm kind of worried because this is the vent that I had.

[url]http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/48524/377%20710/0/atwood/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/10/0?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=atwood&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=10&Ns=0&keyword=atwood&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=78&classNum=90

Now if it is meant to minimize water entering, it's either faulty or I have another issue. I think I'm going to have to pull the back seat out and access the tank to see whats going on. I haven't noticed any gas in the bilge area.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Sorry I don't think that link works. Looks like it got cut off in the middle.

Mattyman
06-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Sorry about that. I think I fixed the link.