PDA

View Full Version : Is it gas or oil?

wotan2525
06-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Lately whenever my bilge runs, I end up with a gas or oil film over the surface of the water around my boat. How can I tell if this is gas or oil? My oil level hasn't gone done and shows no signs of contamination and I've checked and double checked all of those gas lines and can't find a leak..... Grrr!

csuggs
06-18-2009, 11:16 AM
If it's oil, it will probably have a bit of a milky color to it. I had gas mixed in mine last season and you could smell it. Changed the lines and fuel filter o-rings over the winter and no more gas leaking into the bilge.

Hematoma
06-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Yea I have the same problem also, sept mine isnt gas fo sure. I have an oil leak coming from somewhere. I cant find the leak for chit.:mad:

saltare inverts
06-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Best way to tell is get close to the water and taste it. Gas has more of a burning tongue taste, oil is smoother with a mud flavor. I am totally kidding, dont taste it. Oil will be more of a chocolate milk color. I agree with csuggs.

mapleleaf
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
yeah the gas will taste more like wasabi!!!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
06-19-2009, 11:30 AM
OMG S_I you are funny stuff.

riveredge
06-19-2009, 12:24 PM
is this a lot of fluid or just a little film, because of all the little drips spilled in the bilge over 20 years, my bilge water comes out, how do I put it, less than perfect? No leaks anywhere, I'm sure of it... just a dirty bilge (yes I know I should clean it). I put a "bilge sock" in there which absorbs most of the oily stuff, that helps too.

wotan2525
06-22-2009, 11:01 AM
It's not a lot of fluid but it is a film EVERY time I bilge out (which is probably ~2-3 minutes of pumping/hour.)

Oil level is still fine... I'm leaning towards gas but have no idea where it's leaking from.