PDA

View Full Version : first breakdown

riveredge
06-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Out in the boat the other day, I was accelerating from idle and suddenly the engine revved and I went nowhere. No forward, no reverse, cable was hooked up fine, and the lever moved freely at the transmission, but no matter what, it would not go into gear. What was strange, there was no noticeable noise at all when it happened. Thinking transmission failure (?) we pulled the tranny (after a nice tow back to the ramp) and lo and behold, the center piece of the damper plate was stuck on the transmission's splined shaft. New damper plate from Skidim - $92.03. WOO HOO! It looked like the weld was just poorly done - but it's always amazing how one tiny piece can incapacitate the whole boat. The funniest thing was the guy who towed me in turned out to be the same guy I had towed in in the rain about 3 weeks before. Good karma I guess!
Just thought I'd share this, because I was about to send out the transmission for rebuild and found that broken piece attached to it... I had never seen that happen before but apparently it's possible!

tg0824SSVGG
06-19-2009, 12:48 PM
One more hurrah for the inboard. I had similar experience in my old I/O - but
it was the motor coupler that broke. I was at Lake Powell, 10,000 miles from nowhere
and hte nearest person.

When I got home, that part cannot be replaced without pulling the MOTOR - so it
was nearly $1000 before all was said and done.

Todd