PDA

View Full Version : My 1989 SunSport

Memmer99
06-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Here are some pics of my new toy. I've had her for about 2 months now and I just love her to death! Here are some pics.

mapleleaf
06-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Looks like Micheal Hunter may have some competition...That's one goodlook'in '89
Welcome to the board, you and your boat (especially) should find quite the reception..

Awesome BUY!!!!

Memmer99
06-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Thanks, We're going out for a quick session tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some more pics.

saltare inverts
06-20-2009, 02:21 AM
Nice ride. Very nice ride.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Oh heck yes that is SHARP! Can I just say WOW bimini! Looks totally top notch who did you get that from? Love what they did with the support poles and where it attaches to the tower.

Any ballast yet? Also interesting that the spotters seat is shaped different than mine.

csuggs
06-21-2009, 07:11 PM
One Word . . . .

SWWWEEEEEEEEEETT!!!

Memmer99
06-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks for all the great comments. She looks good for the pictures but being 20 years old she does have a couple issues that hopefully you guys may be able to help me with. I'll post them up in the service and maint. fourm.

Mikey, I had my Bimini custom made here in San Jose at a company called Stribling's Custom Canvas. I just had them copy the one that 13th Floor (my tower manufacturer) sells.

For now I just have a 400lb sac in my ski locker. I'm considering trying to raise my rear seat a bit and adding this 580lb under it. http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-rear-seat-sac.html

Which sac do you guys run in your bow? I'm looking to hide one under the playpin.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Some people run the 1k lbs fly high open bow sac, but it is a TON of weight, too much imo. I personally used 2x 400lb fly high surf sacs in the bow. There is some hidden storage space next to the cooler that will hide almost the whole sac leaving the open bow open for storage. The sac on the drivers side goes under the steering helm and back about to where your toes can touch it (mine is behind the 12" sub box which is also under drivers helm. Plenty of room!!!

Plus, with two sacs, you can fill both for wakeboarding, and then empty one for surfing!

Memmer99
06-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Mikey, Thanks for the tip. Do I have to cut any of the fiberglass? Last time I looked it seemed solid back there.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Well not all models are the same, so no gaurantees hehe! But on mine there was a small board screwed across the bottom of the hole so stuff wouldn't slide back there and get lost. I have a pic, but it's not the greatest.

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php/photo/18290/cat/3486
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php/photo/18287/cat/3486

Memmer99
06-22-2009, 05:48 PM
God I hope mine is the same. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks!!

michael hunter
06-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Looks like Micheal Hunter may have some competition...That's one goodlook'in '89
Welcome to the board, you and your boat (especially) should find quite the reception..

Awesome BUY!!!!

I just got back in to town and checked the forum. Its not a competition for me. You guys will never know how much I appreciate this forum. For the last 20 years I could count on one hand the number of Supras I have seen. Lately I see a new member posting almost every day. Its so cool to have others with boats like mine to talk to and trade ideas with.

Memmer99 Let me congratulate you on your sweet looking sunsport. Its great to see the sunsports coming into their own. In 89 it was the comp that was the most popular model.

It seems Like the pre 93 boats have taken over this forum. I'm just glad to be a part of it.

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
06-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Great looking boat, one of the nicer ones of that era. What motor do you have 454 or 351?

Thanks

Memmer99
06-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I just got back in to town and checked the forum. Its not a competition for me. You guys will never know how much I appreciate this forum. For the last 20 years I could count on one hand the number of Supras I have seen. Lately I see a new member posting almost every day. Its so cool to have others with boats like mine to talk to and trade ideas with.

Memmer99 Let me congratulate you on your sweet looking sunsport. Its great to see the sunsports coming into their own. In 89 it was the comp that was the most popular model.

It seems Like the pre 93 boats have taken over this forum. I'm just glad to be a part of it.

Michael,

My Dad actually bought a new comp back in 1989. I remember back then he called the SunSport a big "tuna boat." I told him I bought a Supra and the first thing he asked was "is it the tuna boat?" He just dosen't understand why anyone would wakeboard and not ski, but he sure does love driving it!

Great looking boat, one of the nicer ones of that era. What motor do you have 454 or 351?

Thanks

Lane,

I have the PCM 351. I'm not too sure if it is high output or not. How can I tell?

michael hunter
06-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Memmer
Your dad is right back then the Comp was the boat to have. There was NO wake boards
NO towers NO ballast was all about skis the smaller the wake the better. I bought the Sunsport because it was a true crossover between a ski boat and a runabout. I trailer all over and needed a boat that could carry all the gear and still pull like a inboard. The Sunsport fit perfectly and recently with wakesurfing and wake boarding so popular it still fits . The Sunsport design was ahead of its time.

mapleleaf
06-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey Hunter, I knew it wasn't a competition, I might be suffering boat envy LOL
Mine's coming along.........this is a great place to be a part of...

It's advice from guys like you that've brought my boat back to life...When it's working well I'm the happiest guy in the world (don't tell Mrs. Leaf, even though I think she knows!!)
Couldn't do it without you!!!!!!
Thanks!!!!!

boatin_nut
06-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Beautiful boat Memmer. This may sound like a dumb question, but i noticed that people beach their boats even with the shaft and prop in the back. Will that damage anything?

Cheers!!!

michael hunter
06-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Beautiful boat Memmer. This may sound like a dumb question, but i noticed that people beach their boats even with the shaft and prop in the back. Will that damage anything?

Cheers!!!

In sand I dont think you will damage any thing but there might be a rock or something on the bottom. I just double anchor in 2-3 foot of water and walk in. I very seldom even dock my boat its either on trailer or in the water. Then there is no chance of damage

87SunSportMikeyD
06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
We beach ours all the time. Have not yet had the prop touch anything. If the water is very shallow (ie no drop-off, less than 24" at stern of boat) the prop can rub against the sand/gravel. You can hear it easily and move the boat out. The deep-vee nose on the front of the hull can also get scratched if you are beached in rocks and people climb ina nd out of the bow. Overtons sells a neat keel/bow protector, otherwise I just make everyone get in/out before I beach/pushoff the boat.

rludtke
06-28-2009, 02:36 PM
I will beach the bow of my boat but only on sandy beaches. If gravely or rocky, I anchor with the elastic anchor buddy rope. This works very slick.

I put a rope float on the end of the anchor buddy to make it easier to find when returning. Drifting up to the anchor buddy slowly, and clip it to the bow ring. The use a little power and drive tword the beach. As the rope tenses up, put trans in nutral, and spin the wheel. The boat will spin around until the stern is facing the beach. Then reverse slightly to keep the beachward momentum going, run to the back, and step off the swim step before the anchor buddy begins to retract the boat back out.

I drive a pipe into the ground at shore, then connect an old ski rope to the stern d ring, and tie it off to the pipe. When I want to load people in the boat, just haul in the stern rope, and everyone boards via the swim step.

When I am not using the boat, I let the stern rope out to full length.

Memmer99
06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
I usually make someone "walk the plank" and scope out the area first. Last weekend we beached in very shallow water and the rudder was stuck in the sand. Not a good idea at all but i figured as long as everyone stayed out of the boat everything should be okay.

Rick, +1 on the ancor bungee. The best 30 bucks I've spent on the boat!

bryan632
06-30-2009, 01:43 PM
That's a sweet lookin boat man. I know I'm a little behind on this conversation but I hope my boat looks that good by the time I'm done with it

mapleleaf
06-30-2009, 04:48 PM
That's a sweet lookin boat man. I know I'm a little behind on this conversation but I hope my boat looks that good by the time I'm done with it

I thought I was behind myself......as long as you get to use the boat when you want (with in reason haha) you'll never be behind, may never be done either........
It's an obesession.....

bryan632
06-30-2009, 10:22 PM
That's a big benifit of not being married. within reason means whenever the heck I want. Well... As long as Uncle Sam says it's alright.

mapleleaf
06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
I can think of a few other benefit's.......

bryan632
07-01-2009, 04:19 PM
HAHAHA! Hope your wife doesn't read that. Hopefully you get to get out this weekend and do some boating. the 4th just isnt the same without a lake, a boat and a liberal amount of beer.

mapleleaf
07-01-2009, 10:29 PM
uh yep.....We just celebrated Canada Day in Northern MI, and now I get the 4th too!!!!My brother in law tied a canadian flag to his back and we waked him around the lake!!!!
Tell my boat to stop overheating......
My wife looks good in her bikini tanning on the boat, it's all good!!!
Ha

saltare inverts
07-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Mapleleaf,I dont believe your wife looks good tanning on the boat. We need pics for proof.;)

mapleleaf
07-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Whut'chu talk'in 'bout Willis?
Ok, I'll have to get creative, they tend to be camera shy after having kid's!!!!
And the sun need's to come out, haven't seen it 3 days......

87SunSportMikeyD
07-02-2009, 10:47 AM
hahahaha love it

saltare inverts
07-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Shouldnt be any cutting. I never really looked under then until last week. I have enough room for a twin bed next to the cooler under passanger seat. There is enough room under there for a fat seat. So much new exciting room I am not sure what to put in there. Maybe two kegs and a lots of ice. Or maybe just two fat buddies I have extra. Thats 520 more lbs baby.

killab
07-02-2009, 04:15 PM
I just got my dads 91 sunsport from him at Disco Bay. It still looks great! Only 300 hrs on PMC! We are the orginal owners. The only thing is the blue on the fiberglass is a little faded from being in dry stack dock. I was thinking of repainting, but I think i would have to remove the decals:(. I was also thinking of getting one of those wraps. http://www.zdecals.com/ZDecals/wakeboard_2.html
Any suggestions?

mapleleaf
07-02-2009, 10:04 PM
wetsand the bluebaby , compound, buff'n wax her ....presto new finish......

87SunSportMikeyD
07-05-2009, 08:59 AM
S_I - Heck yeah isn't that hidden space killer?! It's HUGGGGEEE. Also real easy access to the gunwale for wiring/plumbing the bow sacs and pumps. Should be able to access the bilge too as the cooler drains into the bilge to run plumbing to the sacs.

Personally I put a pair of FlyHigh V-drive sacs in there on each side but they are a LITTLE too big. If I were to overfill them without having a vent/overflow line they could do some damage to the fiberglass. It's nice for surfing for SURE!

KillaB Whatup mang!! Nice you could join us and congrats you have one of the nicest older wakeboats ever made! Yours especially is the same hull as the Launch. 300 hours she is still a baby! Good news - your paint is still PERFECT!! It is just oxydized from sitting for so long. All you need is a pack of fine sandpaper (one medium-fine grit and one fine-fine grit somebody supply some grit numbers here hehe) and a bucket of warm water and she will shine like new!!! Then buff and then polish (both with a buff wheel) and you won't believe your eyes! Look around here many people myself included bought their boat looking like yours and it is very easy (not on your arm though) to bring her back to life!!!! Post your pics and start yourself a thread in the pride and joy forum bud! Peace!!

mapleleaf
07-05-2009, 10:37 AM
800, 1000, 1500 grit, rubbing compound, 3M finesse it, wax in that order.....
wet sand first!!!!

Irish_Jack
07-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Beautiful profile... Very nice Sunsport! Oh how I dream of the day when I put a Newdimention Tower on mine... I wish on.:cool:

Memmer99
05-14-2010, 12:31 PM
So I have been working on this one side everyday after work since last Saturday. I removed the stickers a few weeks ago with an eraser wheel. Here are some before and after pics. I started with 1000 grit wet sand then moved to 1500 grit. That alone took me 4 days. Last night I did a compound buff with 3M perfect it and followed up with 3M Finesse it II. Tonight I'm going to wax it with some Collonites 925.

Before Hull
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Picture258.jpg

Before Back
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Picture259.jpg

After
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Picture267.jpg

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Picture268.jpg

Mani
05-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Wow that looks, great. That shine is something else.

Memmer99
05-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks Mani, I didn't realize how much work it was really going to be. Makes me appreciate my day job!

Okie Boarder
05-14-2010, 05:51 PM
It really does look good. Good job on the pics too. Showing shine from buffing is difficult to do in pictures. It seems like you can't see the fade / color difference from where the stickers were. Is that how it is in person?

Memmer99
05-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Not quite as nice in person. You can still see the stripe shadows just a little bit. I still need to hit it with wax too. My goal is to finish the other side in a day and a half so I can take her out on Sunday.

Okie Boarder
05-15-2010, 10:44 AM
That's been my fear with removing the stripes. I've seen several do this and it still can't be completely buffed out. It usually takes a really close look to see it, but...

Memmer99
05-24-2010, 03:58 PM
I just installed an integrated ballast system. Here's a parts list and some pictures. Most of the parts were purchased from Wake Makers except for the ballast lines. I just couldn't get myself to pay $2.50 a foot

- 1" ball valve
- 1" through hull
- Johnson Ballast pump 12 GPM
- 20 feet of 1" Flexible PVC
- 650lb Fly High Ballast bag
- 1000lb Fly High Triangle Ballast bag
- Quick disconnect fittings for the bags
- 3/4" through hulls for the vents

- a lot of random PVC parts from Home Depot
- 3 Position switch, shrink wrap, and 12 Guage wire from Radio Shack.

Through hull intake in the engine compartment. I installed a safety ball valve and the other valve controlls flow to the bow sac.
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Ballast/070.jpg

Johnson pump mounted under the middle back seat.
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Ballast/066.jpg

PVC connections off the pump. I looked into brass connections but they wanted 30 bucks for what you see in the pic. I think I paid a buck 50 cents a piece for these.
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Ballast/068.jpg

T Fitting - after the pump draws in water it splits in to a T and directs the water to the bow and the stern.
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Ballast/064.jpg

Memmer99
05-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Brace over the gas tank (which still needs to be water proofed) and the fill/drain and vent lines.
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Ballast/062.jpg

Rear Vent
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Ballast/061.jpg

Bow Vent
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Ballast/060.jpg

Bow Sac Full
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Ballast/057.jpg

Memmer99
05-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Rear Sac almost empty
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/Ballast/059.jpg

I tested everything yesterday and it took about 10 minutes to fill and drain.

Okie Boarder
05-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Looks pretty good. I think I'm going to plumb mine in next year with multiple simers. So far things are working well with the bags I was able to hide.

That Johnson pump is ignition protected, right?

Memmer99
05-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah it's ignition protected. I think I still need a bit more weight in the back. though. I may try throwing my old 350 under the back seat and fill it manually.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Looks great Memmer way to get it done!

Memmer99
05-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks, the true test will be this weekend with some people in the boat. I went out with my wife and son yesterday and the wake was bigger than last year with a full boat and a 350lb in the locker.