PDA

View Full Version : Circulating Pump?

Tony128
06-20-2009, 01:54 PM
How can one tell if the Circulating pump is bad,
I'm having overheating issues.. I changed the impeller ( its was still in new condition) and the Thermostat.
All line's are clear and clean....
Thank's for any help

Sunsport 1986!!!

beast 496
06-20-2009, 04:32 PM
I have found more than several engines with clogged up exhaust manifolds, specifially rusted, either at the risor gasket area or at the exit flange on the risor. Remember water cannot get in if it can't get out. Allan

chautauquasun
06-20-2009, 09:05 PM
How can one tell if the Circulating pump is bad,
I'm having overheating issues.. I changed the impeller ( its was still in new condition) and the Thermostat.
All line's are clear and clean....
Thank's for any help

Sunsport 1986!!!

It may sound crazy but when you changed your impeller you may have resintalled the pump upside down. the pump looks the same either way and it is very easy to install it upside down. Easiest way to tell if the boat is in the water look over the port side. If you see bubbles coming from underneath the boat...the pump was installed upside down. Take it off turn it around and your trouble will be solved.

knoble
06-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Is water/steam coming out of the exhaust? You could have put the impeller case on backwards and then water will not pump to the circulating pump. You also could have clogged exhaust manifolds but that does not happen often. Your circulating pump is the same as a car's water pump other than it has a thick cast impeller so it does not rust out. A car's water pump has a sheet metal stamped impeller and with antifreeze it lubricates it so no rust. Usually if the circulating pump is going bad water will come out of the seep hole on the bottom of the pump shaft.
I would check to see if you are getting water out the back. Then check to see if you put the impeller pump on backwards. Tghen you may want to check your thermostat and then look for clogs.

:cool:

agetech
06-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Check the inlet side of the transmission oil cooler. If you have run through water with small debris like leaves, sticks, etc, the cooler can get clogged. Just pull the hose off and look into the cooler. I am speaking from experience.

Tony128
06-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I think it may just be a bad gauge or sending unit,

I have the impeller pump on right way, If I take the hose off the top of the pump and fill a bucket it suck's up the water and it comes out the top of the pump....
There's no water coming out of the seep hole on the circulating pump!
The motor does not seem to be getting to hot. No steem out the exhaust, I can put my hand on the raiser's there not to hot...
I'll have to order a sending unit on temp gauge on Monday.... Thank's for the reply's!!!!!