PDA

View Full Version : pole install on comp??

charlies86supra
06-20-2009, 11:13 PM
i have a "10 foot pole" brand pole im getting ready to install as soon as it gets back from the powder coating shop. my question is ive seen some of you attaching your pole to the front lift eyelet. i was just wondering if the eyelet and boat is strong enough pulling that angle? my boat is pretty damn clean for an 86 and i dont wanna add any unneeded stress cracks thanks all!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
06-21-2009, 12:04 AM
The strap should be wrap around the bow of the boat and through the eye hook on the underside of the bow. This way the stress is distributed evenly.

Since the lifting ring is made to support the whole boat, and it is mounted very well, you can easily see it if you look under the open bow storage area. However I wouldn't do it because they are made for lifting straight up.

Curtis
06-22-2009, 06:08 PM
If the pole coming out of the floor is at an angle, which it should be... then the pylon that goes into it will be offset at the bottom just a bit so the pylon is up-right....I have a clip on the end of the ratchet strap on mine that i connect to the front "Boat Lift Ring"...and tighten just enough to provide a little back pressure for pulling with the pylon, not too much just snug...Heck if the ring is sturdy enough to lift the boat from each end, why would it not be strong enough to pull a boarder??....Have not had any trouble or cracking from it yet..Most of the pressure and tension is put on the floor anyways

rludtke
06-26-2009, 11:53 PM
I must admit that I am using the boat lift ring. My Skylon was purchased used, and was missing the cable assembly. I drilled the hole in the top of the pylon all the way through, and installed a ring bolt. To this I attached a ratchet tie down strap. It is just easier to attach the strap hook to the ring, and it makes a very clean installation. The ring will move aft slightly until contact between the through bolt and the upper deck is made,whille the strap is tensioned. It seems to work fine. I realize that the load path vector are not exactly as the ring was intended (not vertical), but I suspect the pylon loads are less than the weight of the boat. I suspect that over time the hole in the top deck could elongate.