PDA

View Full Version : How I repair wood rot

87 Sunsport
11-09-2003, 11:01 AM
The engine lags bolts have been spinning all summer but luckily the engine hasn't moved. I've been ignoring the stringers because there is no way I'm trailering to SC nor would I tackle digging out the stringers on my own.
So here's what I'm doing: I drilled 1/4 inch holes about 4 inches around all the engine mounts on about half inch centers. Interesting, sometimes I hit a black ooze that comes out like 10w30, sometimes black mushy wood, sometimes wet wood like wet cardboard, and in a few places, sawdust. I dry each area out with a halogen lamp for about a week and then I fill all the holes with Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer from Rot Doctor. A week later I fill the holes and the lag bolt holes with Layup and Laminating Epoxy resin and some cloth to make up for all the damage I did. I'm hoping this keeps the engine in place at least for my lifetime and I'll rely on the kevlar to keep the boat in one piece.

cryonchick
11-09-2003, 05:44 PM
That sounds like an easy way to fix a very common problem.

Just be wary of the wet, mushy, black wood. That could be signs of some serious wood rot in your stringers. I know cutting them out till you find good dry wood, would be a pain, let's just hope it was a few bad spots and not the whole stringer.

Thanks again for the tips......