PDA

View Full Version : Warm up Idle Issues

Memmer99
06-22-2009, 05:03 PM
For some reason when my boat is cold it does not want to idle. It seems like the choke is not working but I checked and the electronic choke does open automatically when I turn the key (when cold.) When the boat is warm the idle is perfect at just under 1000 RPM and it runs great. I've had this problem ever since I bought the boat 2 months ago. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the electric choke and now the boat is a lot more responsive but my cold idle problem is still there. Any ideas???

mapleleaf
06-22-2009, 09:27 PM
just a carb rookie, but could it be idle mixture screws????

Salty87
06-23-2009, 08:52 AM
It seems like the choke is not working but I checked and the electronic choke does open automatically when I turn the key (when cold.) When the boat is warm the idle is perfect at just under 1000 RPM and it runs great.

the choke should be closed on a cold engine. the 12v warms it up and it opens as the engine warms. when you first pump the throttle, it should manually close.

you also might try bumping that idle down closer to 700.

Memmer99
06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Salty, Are you saying that the longer the choke flap is closed then the longer the choke is actually working? If so then I'm guessing that I can loosen the 3 screws and turn the black choke housing clockwise or (maybe counter clockwise) to make it stay closed longer. Please let me know if I'm on the right track here.

Sorry for the dumb questions this is my first V8. I currently pull my boat with a V6 4runner so it looks like another V8 is in my near future.

michael hunter
06-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Turning the choke cap will make the choke stay closed or open sooner. There is a spec for it in the rebuild instructions. If you dont have turn it untill the choke closes then one mark more with cold engine and throttle 1/3 forward. When first starting pump the throttle once and start . The choke should open 1/8 to 3/32s at the top immediately after starting and go on fast idle. If not check the choke pull off adj and fast idle adj.

Memmer99
06-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Last night I adjusted the Idle mixture screws on the sides of the metering block. This seemed to make a difference but by that time the engine was pretty much warm. Tonight will be the true test.