PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Comp Restoration

myk
06-23-2009, 02:43 AM
Howdy, first post here. I though I'd share some pics of my restoration project. I've owned this boat since 1992 and it's near and dear to me. This boat has always been garaged, only ran in fresh water and very well cared for so when I found out the floor and stringers were junk I was pretty shocked, but I just couldn't let her go.

Started this project in Oct. 2008, and with any luck it will be in the water this comming weekend. Here are some pics of the project, I don't have the latest ones off the camera yet, but I'll post them up soon.

The new stringers and floor are laminated Greenwood XL select boat panels. Main stringers are two layers of 3/4" laminated together, the outer stringers are a single 3/4". The floors are two layers of half inch laminated and screwed with the top ply grain running the length of the boat and the bottoms ply running the width. The motor mount area is a real pain on these, I'm sure anyone that's tackled this can confirm :).

myk
06-23-2009, 02:45 AM
more pics, these were around Feb of this year

myk
06-23-2009, 03:07 AM
Some more, early May timeframe. Glass is 1808 biaxial for all the stringer and tabbing, the floors are covered with 6oz. used 15 gallons of 635 medium epoxy from U.S. composites.

mapleleaf
06-23-2009, 08:33 AM
I can't get enough of these resto pic's, that's some really goodlooking work...
Goodluck wrapping things up and hitting the water!!!!

Dinoz
06-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Amazing work! Hats off to all of you guys that have the skills to restore like that. Does anyone have an idea what it would cost for me to contract someone to do that for me? Mapleleaf any idea??

DZ.

jasonba1
06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Viper Customs does quite a few of them and its 3000-4000 depending on how bad it is. One of our fellow supra owners on this site just had him do it and he was very impressed.

Salty87
06-23-2009, 03:32 PM
looks great, myk. i was doing the same this time last year. i like looking at the pics too, doing the work sucks!

mapleleaf
06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Amazing work! Hats off to all of you guys that have the skills to restore like that. Does anyone have an idea what it would cost for me to contract someone to do that for me? Mapleleaf any idea??

DZ.

D

Not quite sure...If guys down south of the border are paying 3 to 4k, I wouldn't be surprised to find it between 5 and 7k up here....
The best quote, price wise, for my vinyl only was 3800, so if that's any indicator, it's gonna be pricey.....
It's tough because you get what you pay for and this is something you can't skimp on, when my stringers get done it'll be me doing it...going to try and get 2 more summers, sell it as is, or rebuild. Ideally I'd like a bigger boat and I sure ain't do'in stringers on two!!!!!!

myk
06-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Here's some of the latest pics. Just finished putting the new rub-rail on last night, man that really spruces things up. The tower is by big air pylons, it's their vapor model $895 to the door, I was a bit concerned about the fit but it worked out perfectly even though the comp is a bit narrower than they suggest. Just need to install the aft carpet and bolt the seats back in and she's ready for sea (lake) trials.

thanks for all the compliments, it's been a fun winter project. And for anyone that can do this for 3-4k I think your crazy :) I wouldn't touch this for under 10k, but that's just me lol...

Mike

mapleleaf
06-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Nice work, I was looking at the vapor tower myself, now that I've seen it on a comp hull I'm in......looks awesome!
I was think'in since you had the forklift maybe you'd take 9K?????HaHa
Go and get that thing wet!!!!!!

c43amg
06-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Some more, early May timeframe. Glass is 1808 biaxial for all the stringer and tabbing, the floors are covered with 6oz. used 15 gallons of 635 medium epoxy from U.S. composites.

looks good, wish I could take the time some of you guys are putting into your restos, did mine more like a wham bam get it in the water lol.

myk
06-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Nice work, I was looking at the vapor tower myself, now that I've seen it on a comp hull I'm in......looks awesome!
I was think'in since you had the forklift maybe you'd take 9K?????HaHa
Go and get that thing wet!!!!!!

Thanks man, I'm really happy with the tower I think their quality is great, it's nice to be impressed with something you mail order once in a while if you know what I mean. The only mod I had to do to the tower was on the fwd tubes (the longest ones) where they slide into the upper H-member I removed 3" from the end of each tube. This let the tubes slide far enough into the upper member to make up for the narrow front end of these boats. I haven't tried to collapse the tower yet, but I don't think this will affect it in any way, if anything it should be stronger. I also glassed in a 4x12" piece of 1/2" left over from my floor underneath all 4 mounting points in the upper shell before I assembled the two halves back together, made it real strong.

myk
06-23-2009, 07:49 PM
looks good, wish I could take the time some of you guys are putting into your restos, did mine more like a wham bam get it in the water lol.

I saw yours the other night, man your making some quick progress on that looks great, I've been at it 8 months, but I'm slow...lol.

Also wanted to point out that I got rid of a bunch of stuff during my resto, hopefully they won't be missed. I really wanted to simplify things, especially stuff I never used and seemed unecessary.

Pylon and huge bracket (was really debating this one, but have the tower now)
Light in the transom
Shower, pump, hoses, etc.
Heater, core, hoses, ductwork
Blowers (I just open the cover)
Misc. courtesy lights under the left fwd seat.

Also anyone know where to get a replacement left wing window? My daughter broke the plastic handle and the wind caught it and it sank to the bottom last year. Would need the glass, handle and whatever else holds it to the frame (need to take a closer look at it) Thanks.

mapleleaf
06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Jim at Viper customs will have the side vent window you need, his phone number's in here all over the place, can't remember it now, you could prolly pm Jasonba1 he'll help ya out, or google viper customs....

I am still envying the fact that you got to put your tower on with the boat seperated, I won't be getting mine til the fall ($$$$) but installing it will be a challenge, I'm a big fan of anything that involves backer's....I do a lot of remodelling and hate it when there's nothing behind the sheetrock!!!

jasonba1
06-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Hey maple leaf I cant believe somebody would charge you 3800 for vinyl thats crazy ship it down here Ill get it down for 2k or under for you if that would help you out and thats 3 colors plus custom embrodiery. Not sure how much shipping would be but I bet it would be way under that.

Jim at viper does have the side windows and latches he charges 75 for supra forum members plus shipping I think. His number is 865-388-4096.

By the way all of your boats are looking great.....

mapleleaf
06-23-2009, 10:44 PM
J, lets see some pic's of yours!!!!!!!

myk
06-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll give them a call on the wing window.

Started the engine up tonight, first time since the end of last season, sounded great to hear her roar to life again. Putting the rear carpet in tomorrow night, then the drivers seat, back seat and the motor cover and it's ready for action. Really wanted to redo the interior, but it's going to have to wait till after the summer, just ran out of time this year.

myk
06-24-2009, 04:05 AM
I am still envying the fact that you got to put your tower on with the boat seperated, I won't be getting mine til the fall ($$$$) but installing it will be a challenge, I'm a big fan of anything that involves backer's....I do a lot of remodelling and hate it when there's nothing behind the sheetrock!!!

You can easily access the two fwd attach points on the comp, they are under the dash. The two aft attach points can also be accessed via the speaker holes, a bit tougher but doable, I checked it out after I had the top on. Just lather up some plywood with some epoxy and glass mat and stick it up in there with a few of the attach screws for the tower mounts, makes a really solid mount.

mapleleaf
06-24-2009, 06:47 AM
Sounds like a good idea..... I've actually got a Conbrio, comp hull open bow.( it's almost a submarine!!)
I figured I use the speaker holes and hopefully the storage under the windshield to get at the mounts...holding the backer in with the tower mount is genious.......

myk
06-24-2009, 03:52 PM
A few more pics, it's fun looking at them now, just not so much when your grinding that old glass :)

mapleleaf
06-24-2009, 04:47 PM
The last shot gives it all away, what a great shop!!! Looks Huge!!!

myk
06-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Yep, nice to have friends with stuff :D

csuggs
06-24-2009, 11:28 PM
So just how long did the project take from start to finish? It looks GREAT! Nice Work.

myk
06-25-2009, 04:16 AM
So just how long did the project take from start to finish? It looks GREAT! Nice Work.

8 months 2 weeks and alot of hard work, but it is rewarding and I've learned a ton. Still need to redo the interior vinyl stuff but it's going to wait until this fall. Thanks a bunch for the compliments, it's great to see all the Supra owners here, I didn't even know this forum existed till the other day.

rickr
06-25-2009, 06:43 PM
myk
Took me 16 months, your fast ;)
Great Work! Sure is nice when you get her back on the water!

myk
06-28-2009, 04:17 AM
Woohoo, it floats...lol. Had to replace the impeller this morning, but other than that it seems like everything is working great. Adjusted the new packing in the drive shaft and away we went. Everything seems so much tighter now, it's nice.

vtrider22
06-30-2009, 10:07 PM
MYK, do you find it floats any higher in the water without all the wet weight under the floor? I've been questioning whether my ski wake will lay down a little after the big project ('09-'10) winter.

myk
07-01-2009, 04:10 AM
MYK, do you find it floats any higher in the water without all the wet weight under the floor? I've been questioning whether my ski wake will lay down a little after the big project ('09-'10) winter.

That's one thing I wish I would have done is weigh her before and after, missed out on that one. I really don't have any way of measuring it but the boat does seem more snappy and maneuverable, I'm sure it has to be lighter with all that soggy foam out of there, I've also eliminated a bunch of stuff I felt was no longer needed. The day I took it out if was a bit rough once we finally got everything sorted so I couldn't tell if the wake looked different or not. We're heading out on a 2 week vaca with the boat tomorrow so I'll definitely get a bunch more time on it and get used to the new machine, hopefully all will go well.

Good luck on your rebuild this comming winter, it's a big job but if you stay focused on it you'll get it done....

Mike

myk
07-28-2009, 03:23 AM
Got back from a couple of trips the last month, boat is running great, I've got 35hrs on it since the rebuild and it couldn't be working any better. We forgot to bring our charger for the camera, so all I had was the cell phone for pics. Anyways here's one morning we went out, decent water :D

Crowther
07-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Great work, i'm about to replace the floor and carpet on my 87 comp it's getting bad. I don't even want to think about doing what you did, but it looks great. That is a work of art

chautauquasun
07-29-2009, 12:49 PM
i am jealous of all the garage space for doing this job. I would love to tackle the stinger and floor work myself on mine this fall but dont have a garage or space to take a project like this. The work you have done looks great!! It has to be very rewarding when you have the boat out on the lake.

myk
07-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks again for the compliments guys, I was very lucky a good friend of mine has a huge shop, forklift, etc. to do all this at. I can't wait now to do the interior and misc. stereo and electrical upgrades this fall. It's funny when people see my boat I've been telling them about all the work I've done and they don't think anythings different except I added the tower, haha little do they know what's changed under the carpet. In hindsight it was a big nasty job but it seems so worth it now and is just a distant memory, and I don't have a boat payment :) I bet alot of guys out on the lake can't say that.

saltare inverts
07-30-2009, 11:19 PM
I love not having a boat payment. I noticed a shutoff in what looks to be your fuel line. Is that for safety?

myk
07-31-2009, 02:35 AM
I love not having a boat payment. I noticed a shutoff in what looks to be your fuel line. Is that for safety?

Yep that's the fuel line and that must be what it's for, it was there from the factory as far as I know, I've never had to use it though. I relocated the fuel line to that side along with the filter and that valve to where you see it now, it used to be just fwd and under the oil filter and almost impossible to get to, at least now I can get to it.

ngavchris
07-31-2009, 09:38 AM
MYK,
Great job.. Had you ever done any work like this before? You gotta really be attached to that boat now. Also, one picture looks like you were rebuilding the rudder. What did you do to it?

myk
07-31-2009, 02:13 PM
MYK,
Great job.. Had you ever done any work like this before? You gotta really be attached to that boat now. Also, one picture looks like you were rebuilding the rudder. What did you do to it?

Thanks, nope never done anything like this but my buddy has alot of experience with glass, it's really pretty simple, just laborious. Yeah, I can never get rid of her now....lol.

Yeah, the rudder was completely worn out so we put it in the lathe and trued up the shaft and then the mating part we bored it out oversize and then I ordered a slug of bearing bronze and made a repair sleeve, pressed it into the housing and re-bored it to fit the new rudder shaft size. Also upgraded the rudder to add a grease fitting so I can easily lube it now, and I added a big flat nylon washer to take up the vertical slack in the system, the orignal design has the tiller arm riding on the top of the housing, didn't seem like that great of an idea. She's silky smooth now.