PDA

View Full Version : Stringers in '86 ts6m - can they rot?

sitka koloski
11-23-2003, 01:59 PM
I'm buying my roommates '86ts6m and he states that the stringers are wrapped in fiberglass/kevlar and can't rot. Can it be rotten and how do I check (all the threads about this were on sunsports)?

The most recent thread mentions drain problems where water comes off the upholstery and has no where to drain. Is this the case in this model also?

He never weighted it and I plan t0. I'm getting it if I get if this checks out. Mechanically it's in great shape and it's pretty dry here in Idaho, so I hope it's solid. Thanks for the help.

cryonchick
11-23-2003, 11:49 PM
I only way I know to check for stringer rot is to drill a small hole in them and check the wood that comes out on the drill bit. You want the wood to be nice and dry and light in color. If it is dark and mushy, not good...

Hope that this helps..

87 Sunsport
11-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Yes they are wrapped in kevlar and yes they will still rot. Try torquing the engine mount lag bolts or the ski pylon or swim platform lags. If they spin you have rot. Chances are you have some degree of rot, given the liberal use of wood in 86. It might not be a problem though. The fiberglass and kevlar make a strong boat and if you don't have any of the above problems or a soft floor then it's all good.

Salty87
11-25-2003, 12:58 PM
take this for what it's worth....just my opinion

fat sacs aren't too good for old floors. the sacs will cause the flooring to sag between stringers where there really isn't any support to the floor. the fiberglass that's covering your floors will crack and that can allow water to start seeping into the flooring.

i have an '87 saltare, bought it used with solid floors. i started running fat sacs and started noticing that my floor is like a roller coaster now....peaks where the stringers are and valleys where they aren't. i've got soft spots where there were none before. but, i've also got 600 hours on it since i bought it (in only 3 years, so not that much time has passed).

i only use sacs on occasion now, but the damage is done (as i perceive it).

i have some soft stringers too, trying to blame that on the sacs but not having any luck (that's a joke, man).

i agree with giving the engine mount bolts a spin with a wrench, drilling a hole works too but you have to fill your hole back in when you're done. look where the exhaust goes under the floor, mine are particularly bad around there.