PDA

View Full Version : winterizing checklist?

gotigers
11-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Does anyone have a good checklist or directions to correctly winterize a 02 Launch ssv. My boat stayed in S Florida last year so it was no problem. A web site or anything would be great. I am sure I am not the only one who would rather do-your -self than pay premium prices for the service.

DKJBama92Mariah
12-04-2003, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure of the exact procedure for the new indmar motors, but i'm assuming that that cooling systems haven't changed a whole lot.

First, you can always check your engine owners manual for the exact procedure. If you don't have it, you can probably get it at http://www.indmar.com.

I live in northwest AL and the temp rarely gets below 18-20 degrees or so. I have used this same procedure since we bought the boat new in '92 and have never had any problems.

The procedure i follow is as follows:

1)Fill the fuel tank with fuel and addd some sort of fuel stabilizer. (I use Sta-bil)

2)Change the engine oil.

3)Remove the battery and put it in the garage. (I hook mine up to an automatic charger to top it off about once a month during the off-season).

4) Remove cylinder bank drain plugs (2) (ON my 351, they are lotaced at the base of the block just above the oil pan; one on either side of the block).

5) Remove the raw water pump drain plug (Mine is on the metal pipe elbow leading from the raw water pump to the circulation pump. Yours is most likely in a different location because you prob have a indmar cehvy motor.)

6) Remove the drain plugs on the exhaust manifolds (2)(Mine are at the back of the exaust manifolds on the very end. I have never seen a manifold that didn't have this location. )

7) Once all water has drained, replace all plugs in their respective location.

8)Remove bilge drain plug.

9)Prop open engine cover to allow air to circulate.(I just wedge a Type IV throwable PFD in there.)

10)Wash and wax the exterior surfaces of the boat.

11) Cover the boat.

12) Remove prop and take it to the prop shop to get it straightened and balanced. (I have to do this twice a year. The lake i ride on is filled with debris that EATS props.) At the very least, if you leave the boat outside (not in a garage or barn) remove the prop to prevent theft.

13)Sit down and try to forget how long you will be off the water.

DISCLIAMER: These are the steps I MYSELF use. I advise you to consult with a qualified mechanic for ANY service procedure you are not familiar with. This post is for informational purposes only and you may use this information ONLY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Good luck,
DKJ

byroman
12-11-2003, 07:14 PM
1. Install air heater with hoses to stuff under your jacket while you are not skiing.

2. Install hot water shower to fill your wetsuit with hot water before each run.

3. Get a good full suit. I prefer the O'Neill Heat 4/3. This setup is better than a drysuit, because you can just keep adding hot water. The drysuit causes you to rely on your own body heat for warmth.

4. Make plans to ski all winter long.;)