PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch/starter/solenoid??

ktm408
06-24-2009, 10:58 PM
thought maybe someone out there had an idea before i start throwing parts at it,last weekend we were out on lake red rock in central iowa,when i started my 89 comp it fired right up but the starter wouldnt disengage so i tried turning the key switch off and still nothing,i even pulled the key out and it would not shut off,so i reached under and disconnected the battery terminal so it would stop,it finally stopped so i hooked it back up and it started just fine,but it did happen again one other time.Anyway we got some great skiing,footin,wakeboardin,and tubing in before we left.any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

csuggs
06-24-2009, 11:21 PM
I had the same thing and it turned out to be the solenoid was sticking. The next time it happens, quickly (but carefully since the engine may be running) lift the motor cover and tap the starter solenoid with a wrench or screw driver. If the starter disengages, it's the solenoid and you need to replace it. In case you don't know, the solenoid should be mounted on the back of the motor underneath the plastic shield. I would go ahead and remove the plastic shield prior to starting the motor again so that you are ready to "tap away". I'm pretty sure you'll find that's the problem.

mapleleaf
06-25-2009, 06:11 AM
I had the same problem and it was the solenoid, It started last fall when I didn't know anything about these boats, so I kinda forgot about it. This spring it was back, and stuck for good. Had to get a tow....You're gonna want to replace the solenoid as soon as you can.....
It could be your ign. switch, but I'd start with the solenoid, there cheap and easy to swap out...
Disconnect your negative battery lead before doing anything!!!

ktm408
06-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the info i will check with skidm for the solenoid ,or can you go to a auto parts store?

mapleleaf
06-25-2009, 10:36 PM
You want a solenoid for a marine application, ski DIM is the place...

agetech
06-26-2009, 09:54 AM
If you have a shop in your area that rebuilds starters and alternators, you can check with them and get a solenoid rated for constant duty. I had this same problem and the solenoid from Ski-dim only lasted for a few months then did the same thing. The continuous duty solenoid has been in the boat for 3 years with no problems. It installs just like the original part, except for the mounting holes. Put in a battery switch so that you can disconnect the battery just by turning the switch for emergencies, I put mine next to the battery box.

knoble
06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
go to a NAPA auto parts store. they have a ton of marine parts and they are cheaper than a marine place. they have a ton of catalogs and one just on pcm's so they can hook you up for cheap!!

8-)