PDA

View Full Version : Mooring

TayTay
06-26-2009, 01:43 PM
So I am looking into getting a slip at our local yacht club. I may get a 40' and share it with a friend who has a boat but I have a few questions for those who are more intelligent than me about mooring a boat...

1.) A cover... All I have right now is the Supra Cover that clips around the trailer. What are my options for a mooring cover?

2.) The paint/gelcoat... I have heard that normal boat paint is not supposed to be in the water all of the time. I do plan on taking it out every couple of weeks to clean it but how bad is it going to be on the boat leaving it in the water all summer?

3.) Seals... Is there anything that I need to worry about with the prop shaft seal or any other type of seal?

4.) Any thing else?? If there is any other light you could shed on me about mooring I would appreciate it. Any tips, pros, cons, precautions, etc.

Thanks for any info!!

KY Steve
06-27-2009, 12:18 AM
My opinion only, but I would never keep one of our boats in the water. Exposed gel coat and brass is not designed to stay submerged and I would never paint an inboard boat with anti-fouling, once you paint it you can't go back.

Look for a used hydo hoist, it will save you in the long run. Around me you can pick up a used one between two and three grand, a small investment compared to what you paid for your boat.

I've owned boats that I kept in the water, even for short periods, nothing good comes from it.

michael hunter
06-28-2009, 08:28 AM
I agree with KY exposure to sun and water is very damaging to a boat. A covered shore
station is better. There is also the risk of theft. I have read you risk blistering the hull.
Look at the other boats moored there how are they holding up? If you do decide to moor it
double or triple up on waxing and cleaning.

Mr Bacon Jr
07-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Plus one on getting a hoist- I have my 24' Sunsport in a slip on a hoist, and it works very nicely. Hoist also makes it easy to wipe down (with Babe's) every time I come in, so she stays looking great. I got mine for about $2500 used, which is cheap. Worth every penny.

michael hunter
07-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Mr Bacon
Now that's the way to keep a boat moored.