PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel, cable unit

macpres
06-26-2009, 10:56 PM
hi guys, thanks for reading my post, i just put the top half of my boat 86 supra comp ts6m back on the bottom half after replacing the floor, new carpet . . anyways, i hooked up the steering again and the only way i can get the steering wheel to be in the right place to go straight, the cable hangs straight down out of the reel thing. i know that was not like that before but i cannot figure out how to change it because the shaft that comes out of that reel thing has a notch in it that fits where the steering wheel goes so no matter how i turn it i can not get that cable to be out of the way.

please help, it is hot here and i want to get this boat in the water asap!!

Thanks

macpres
06-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Need help guys, my steering wheel is 90 degrees off when going straight, how do i fix it?

Oilguy
07-02-2009, 03:44 PM
I think it has a spline shaft that goes into the rotary steering box.. If you turn the wheel to where the rudder is straight and then unbolt the steering box >> Pull it back so you can move the steering wheel to the straight position and then push it back on... bolt it up and BAM! Fixed!

Good luck!

OG

DKJBama92Mariah
07-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I think it has a spline shaft that goes into the rotary steering box.. If you turn the wheel to where the rudder is straight and then unbolt the steering box >> Pull it back so you can move the steering wheel to the straight position and then push it back on... bolt it up and BAM! Fixed!

Good luck!

OG

BINGO! The little allen screws on the wheel are just for decoration. Underneath the supra logo cap in the center of the wheel is big ole nut. Take it off and pull the wheel to remove; just be careful not to hit yourself in the face with the wheel. Put the wheel on straight, replace the nut and cap and you're done.

mapleleaf
07-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Then put the boat in the water!!!!!!

saltare inverts
07-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Then show us alot of pics.

chautauquasun
07-06-2009, 12:24 PM
How hard is it to replace the steering cable with the topdeck still attached. I am assuming it can be done but probably not as easily as having the top deck off the boat. Also what brand of cable should I go with and what length.

thanks

saltare inverts
07-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I replaced mine with whole boat together. I only moved engine cover and drivers seat. Was not a hard job at all.

chautauquasun
07-06-2009, 09:40 PM
thanks...that sounds good. What kind of cable did you buy...size? Make?

mapleleaf
07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Don't want to step on any threads toes here, but Ive got a ton of play in my steering wheel, could it be a bad cable?
I haven't looked any further yet, are there adjustments on the steering to tighten things up????

saltare inverts
07-07-2009, 11:18 PM
I got a uflex from cable from Skidim.com. They are very good with helping explain how to do things. They will know exactly what length you need etc. Viper customs will probably be able to help also. I also replaced the rudder, got it from Viper.Mapleleaf, I had play before now it is gone. It came from the cable.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-08-2009, 09:16 AM
And how easy is it to turn your steering wheel while you are weighted down and driving at wake speed? Mine is pretty stiff. Greased it up last year but I'm pretty sure it's getting wet when my bilge gets a little fuller. Still having a slow leak.

chautauquasun
07-08-2009, 12:25 PM
I got a uflex from cable from Skidim.com. They are very good with helping explain how to do things. They will know exactly what length you need etc. Viper customs will probably be able to help also. I also replaced the rudder, got it from Viper.Mapleleaf, I had play before now it is gone. It came from the cable.

Got a quote from Skidim...did you replace the helm as well? Quote they gave me was for cable and helm. They stated that I will need to cut the hole bigger with a jig saw to make the new helm fit.

saltare inverts
07-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I did the helm also. Mine was tuff to turn before, like an old car without power steering. Now, with weight and full of people it steers so smooth and easy. I kept oversteering at first until I got used to it. It tracks better and I can steer with one finger. I compare it to a Ferrari. Next upgrade, manual transmission and paddle shifter on steering wheel. Just kidding, maybe a 572 like WakeMikey.

mapleleaf
07-09-2009, 10:46 PM
that 572's gonna sound sooo sweet, even with the FAE....