PDA

View Full Version : Rattle with the stearing wheel in SSV

J dub
06-08-2002, 01:38 AM
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the problem is with my stearing in my Supra. It stears fine, but every time I excellerate to pull a boarder out of the watter the stearing wheel rattles and vibrates and makes an obvious noise. People sitting in the boat notice it also, so it is not just me.. It is a 2001 SSV, and i notice it doing it a lot more whenever there is more weight added to the boat. It has been doing it from day one, and it trulley isn't that big of a deal, but its time for me to figure it out.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks J dub

RickT
06-09-2002, 09:46 AM
Good Morning,

Sounds like it could be an alignment issue with your shaft or more likely....the prop could be dinged. Check the prop first. If not that, have your dealer check the alignment when you can spare a day or two.

Hope that helps, some.

Rick Tinker

bhfinch
06-13-2002, 02:49 PM
My 2001 SSV did the same thing and I changed the prop to the ACME props they are using on the New Malibu Wakesetters. I forget the pitch on the new prop but it handles the boat weighted down a lot better and the rattling in the steering column stoped. Im not suggesting getting an ACME prop , I am just agreeing with Mr. Tinker that you should probably check your prop and make sure that it is perfectly balanced.

dmgx
06-21-2002, 04:03 PM
Hi guys, the rattling issue is due to the rack and pinion steerring at the helm. It is a necessary evil to get optimum drivability.

Jay Warren

Dan Birchler
06-28-2002, 12:36 AM
I can back up what Jay said. My 02 Launch has the same probem that also gets way worse with more weight. My boat vibrates so bad when weighted heavy and nailed to W.O.T. from a dead stop that you might think that it's coming totally apart. If, under the same circumstances I ease into the throttle enough to allow the boat to get moving, there is no problem with vibration. I don't agree that it's nescessary. I would go along with saying that we don't know how to prevent it at this time.