PDA

View Full Version : Vaporlocking.... Again!

jonyb
06-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Its Saturday night, my boat has vaporlocked 3 times already this weekend, Sunday isn't even here yet. With all the problems I had today I don't even wanna go out tomorrow.

Has anyone found a fix for the vaporlocking problem yet? I dumped 2 cups of cooler water on mine. That seemed to help. The other times this has happened I took the intake manifold off, let it breathe for a second, then started it. This is too much trouble. I bought a new boat so I could enjoy, not work on it.

Having a dealer fix this is not an option. If there's something that the dealer can give me, I can install it myself. This has been going on since the day I bought it, and I know others have had that problem too. I'll call Knoxville Watersports Monday to see if there's something they can do, but I've heard people say that they've had problems getting the dealer or service department to cooperate. the excuse seems to be too much ethanol in the fuel, but they should have a fix for this and not an excuse like that.

I also had a fuel pump problem today. Left my dock, turned the corner to the main lake, and the boat die's at 30 mph. The fuel pump wasn't priming when I'd turn the key, so I noticed one of the wires melted and barely making contact. The wire had gotten so hot that it melted.

When my boat is running, I have the blower running the whole time.

michael hunter
06-28-2009, 08:44 AM
mine seems like they are warped again too, but then again i do have about 25,000 miles so i guess its about time for a brake job and a upgrade.

What? Not many BOATS ever need a brake job try to stay on topic.

michael hunter
06-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Jony
Is it possible the fuel pump is the problem? If its running minimum fuel pressure the
regulator will stay closed and the fuel is subject to heat and vapor lock.

jonyb
06-28-2009, 11:48 AM
I believe its the fuel pump. I've read others have had this same problem, and it seems that a dealer or SC is providing a fuel pump upgrade. Maybe it consists of an extra inline fuel pump, but I'm not totally sure. That's why I'm asking here first before calling a dealer.

TayTay
06-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Man, it seems like you have had really bad luck with your boat! I can see why you are frustrated. I just want to throw it out there that I'm feeling for ya. Hopefully the luck turns around.

Fman
06-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Out of curiousity, are you running the 5.7L Indmar 340 HP engine? My '08 has not had any problems yet (knock on wood), but I am wondering if SUPRA (or indmar) did something different to the fuel delivery system on the '08 from the '07? I know Indmar builds engines for Mastercraft, Malibu and Skier's choice. I would think if they were having this much problems with vapor lock it would be a huge problem for them. My brother in-law has an X15 '07 MC, and has never had any problems with vapor lock in his boat.

Have you tried running a fuel additive? Like LUCAS? Maybe this will change the fuel mixture enough to help eliminate the vapor lock?

Johnny, where are you located? what is the avg. temperature outside? you mentioned something about the fuel being a problem. Does California use a different blend?

Hope you can get this problem resolved, you have a sweet boat and I feel your pain with not being able to enjoy it. I am sure you have tried already, but have you contacted Skiers Choice about this problem? If your engine compartment is getting so hot it is melting wires, you might want to address this with SC. That is not normal and could lead to a fire hazard.

Good luck.... hope you can get it worked out.

shanerross
06-28-2009, 07:38 PM
I was out this last week and had similar symptoms and it was a bad batch of gas that had plugged up my fuel/water seperator. After the boat sat a while it would restart and run until a point and then would sputter and die. Maybe yours is plugged up just enough not to pull fuel through after it sits and gets heat soaked.

beast 496
06-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Master craft boats with indmars run an intank fuel pump. this does two things, keeps the pump cool and also these type of pumps are better at pushing than pulling. Also they have a return line to the fuel tank so the fuel is alway circulating. Your pump i believe is mounted on the engine itself and circulates the high pressure fuel back to itself, not to the fuel tank. I installed a Carter Electric Marine fuel pump just last week as a booster pump for one of my customers. I tapped into the OEM pump wiring harness to power the pump. The booster needs to be mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible, you only need 5 to 7 psi pumps for this. When the key up feature is activated the pump runs for 4 seconds, when the signal for crank and run is activated the pump will run continuisly, when ever the high pressure pump is on.

jonyb
06-29-2009, 05:29 AM
Out of curiousity, are you running the 5.7L Indmar 340 HP engine?

It is the 340hp, and the fuel pump is mounted to the engine. I haven't tried any additives though. Temp on Friday and Saturday was 95* with 100% humidity.

Supra_fan
06-29-2009, 03:54 PM
My 2006 24ssv Launch has had a few vapor locking episodes, water on the fuel pump has cured it each time. The Dealer has indicated that a second inline pump will cure the problem, not sure if that is something you want to do...but thought I'd pass along the information.

Good Luck.

jonyb
06-29-2009, 04:14 PM
I just spoke with a very nice man at Knoxville Watersports, and with Indmar's approval, they're gonna send me the second pump and it's covered under warranty. I don't mind doing the work myself, as I'm upgrading the ballast anyway. I just have to get through this weekend without pulling the drain plug and swimming home.

FoiltechLaunch21V
06-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I installed the extra in-line fuel pump on my 21V and have not had any trouble since. I had to buy it because I could not get it from Supra, SC or Indmar they all pointed the finger at the other. I think it was $300 very simple to in stall. It has a wiring harness that T's into the plug on the original Fuel Pump. It mounts to the stringer beside the V-Drive. 30 minute job tops.

I also added 2 more blowers and took the 3" duct out at the back of the engine so the heat could rise and get out easier. I still keep a 32oz bottle of COLD water in the cooler at all times just in case.

If you add the extra pump you can eliminate about 14" of fuel line from the tank to the original fuel pump. I put two In-Line filters on mine now. One between the tank and the new pump and the other between the new pump and the Original pump. Probably over-kill. But WTH.

sniperside
07-08-2009, 10:34 AM
my 08 supra (325 hp, not 340) just started exhibiting the vapor lock symptoms for the past 3 weeks. a bag of ice or a few bottles of cold water is the only quick fix for the time being. after some investigation, it appears supra has 2 fuel pumps already installed on my boat. first pump is a low pressure one and the 2nd is a high pressure. they are both still right next to the engine block so I'm sure the fuel is vaporizing during down time. my dealer is working with indmar for a permanent fix. it appears they want me to relocate the fuel filter. currently, my filter sits between the gas tank and low pressure fuel pump. they want the fuel filter installed between the low- and high-pressure pump.

I'm waiting to get confirmation from indmar on this before l proceed with the proposed fix.

any thoughts?

tg0824SSVGG
07-08-2009, 11:10 AM
THere are already 2 pumps on my 08 as well - and thank goodness, so far have
not vaporlocked at all.

Where do you place the icebag/cold water if this happens?

iwakeboard
07-08-2009, 11:37 AM
I just spoke with a very nice man at Knoxville Watersports, and with Indmar's approval, they're gonna send me the second pump and it's covered under warranty. I don't mind doing the work myself, as I'm upgrading the ballast anyway. I just have to get through this weekend without pulling the drain plug and swimming home.

Jony, who'd you speak to out there? They're terrific and hope you have better luck dealing with them than your other dealer!

jonyb
07-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Can't remember his name, but I need to call back. I think he's waiting on the serial numbers for my engine to get the warranty stuff started.

FoiltechLaunch21V
07-09-2009, 09:51 AM
THere are already 2 pumps on my 08 as well - and thank goodness, so far have
not vaporlocked at all.

Where do you place the icebag/cold water if this happens?

Todd, When mine was vaporlocking I would pour "ice cold" water directly on the fuel pump.(As instructed by the dealer here) It would start Immediately.

I have installed the secondary pump more forward on the stringer beside the V-drive and I have not had any problems since. I'm not sure where your second pump is located.

The cold water trick works. Also opening the engine cover. I also took the 3" duct loose from the vents in the back to let more heat out of the engine compartment. There were three of these on my boat, one for the blower which I left as is, the other two were ran under the engine. These were the two I removed the duct from.

I also added two more blowers. Which in the winter I attach to heater vents and suck engine heat out for warmth.

SZEH
07-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Same issue this weekend with my '06 21V with the 340 engine. Just turned 180 hrs and never had a problem. Boat ran great and then shut it down for a couple minutes and that was it. It would turn over but not start...sounded like no fuel to the engine. Just lifted the engine cover to let it cool and then it cranked up about 20 minutes later.

Did it again first thing in the am when the air temp was a lot cooler. Ran up to the fuel docks and back to our dock...about a 15 minute run. Loaded up the boat to do some surfing and tried to start the boat and it sounded like it was starving for fuel again. Let it sit for a while and it started right up.

Going to see my local dealer...Atlanta Marine to see what they can do. The extra fuel pump sounds interesting. Also pouring cool water on the fuel pump is a great idea to get up and running. I'm just amazed that after 180 hrs and into the 3rd season that this problem is happening. I thought this was a new boat issue and that I was just one of the lucky ones.

Scott