PDA

View Full Version : intermittant no start on 08' 22lsv

performanceag
06-28-2009, 07:30 PM
we have an intermittant no start on our 2008 22lsv. it only happens when we have been running and stop the engine. It turns over but wont fire. We have let it sit for a while and it seems like nothing is wrong. Starts right up....Is this the vapor lock that people have been talking about??

thanks

also shows no codes when this happens

Fman
06-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Sounds like the same problem Jonyb is having with his '07. What state are you in? Asking because I hear the blends of fuel are different with each state. If it were me, I would also try adding a fuel additive. LUCAS makes a great fuel additive, might be worth a shot.

performanceag
06-28-2009, 07:40 PM
we are midstate Illinois....will give the lucas a try

thanks

mapleleaf
06-28-2009, 08:49 PM
I've wondered if filling up at the pump with gas that might have ethanol in it is the cause of a little hesitation from time to time. I should pay more attention, I know thw Marina sells premium regular which is ethanol free....

jonyb
06-29-2009, 06:43 PM
performanceag, that sounds like the issue I'm currently having, and lots of others are having as well.

It's explained to me, and I've also read this on other forums, is because the fuel pump is mounted to the engine and gets very hot, it turns the fuel to a vapor. Higher ethanol blends make it worse. I've found that I can take teh screws from the intake manifold, lift it off the engine, then put it back, and it'll start back up. Sometimes that works. I had to dump the remains of my ice from the in-boat melter to cool the pump down.

The fix is to add an extra low pressure fuel pump inline with the existing pump.

I recommend calling your dealer and explaining the problem. Don't let them get away with saying you've got bad gas, or high ethanol levels in teh fuel. They know what the problem is and it should be fixed under warranty.

FoiltechLaunch21V
06-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Sounds like the vapor lock to me. Jonyb is right get that secondary fuel pump. Very easy to install on my 21V it went beside the V-Drive on the stringer. 30 minute job tops. It seems to work on mine I put it on last summer and I run every week year around and have not had any problems since I installed the secondary fuel pump.

wolff
07-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Go complain to your dealer. I got the dealer and supra to install the pump on my 07 21v.
They claim it is a vapor locking problem due to the type of gas you run.
It is a little noise when the boat is idling but it is well worth knowing your boat is going to start every time.