PDA

View Full Version : Cracked heater coil

teamnash
06-28-2009, 11:23 PM
I have water coming out of the heater coil under the dash. I haven't pulled it apart to check exactly where the water is coming from but my thought is the coil likely cracked over the winter.

How hard is it to pull this apart and replace the heater coil or is this something I should leave to the dealer?

The boat we have is a 21V Launch 2006.

Thanks,

Rich

jasonba1
06-29-2009, 07:55 AM
THe coil is pretty easy to pull out just disconnect the box drill out the rivets and open it up, pull the heater coil out and put in the new one and put rivets back in the box and you will be good to go.

Sluggo
06-29-2009, 01:12 PM
I had the same issue last year. This was a result of the shop not pulling enough anti freeze into the heat exchanger and not draining the lines. Given that experience and the staggering prices, I now do all my maintenance and installed two drain valves in the heater lines near the vdrive. Now all I have to do during the winterization process is make sure I get a little above idle with sucking in anti-freeze and then drain the lines afterward. No issues from my work last fall.

To add on to previous comment, you might finding removing the drivers seat gives you room needed to work under there more comfortably. It was pretty much required for me but I am 6 foot 220lb. 20 of which is just storage for beer and located such that it can make it difficult to get back out from under the dash, lol.

I ordered my replace via Heidi at Atlanta Marine (678) 482-6499 for $150 + shipping.

jasonba1
06-29-2009, 05:15 PM
I got mine from go2marine.com for 89 shipped

Fman
06-29-2009, 05:50 PM
I have water coming out of the heater coil under the dash. I haven't pulled it apart to check exactly where the water is coming from but my thought is the coil likely cracked over the winter.

How hard is it to pull this apart and replace the heater coil or is this something I should leave to the dealer?

The boat we have is a 21V Launch 2006.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

Have you looked into this being covered by your warranty? Your '06 should still be under warranty right now.

beast 496
06-29-2009, 08:49 PM
This usually happens due to improper winterizing, I have seen many of these which have froze and swelled up, they usually crack at one of the soldered connections. You can save alot of money by resoldering the ends. If you are not comfortable soldering take it to a local welding company or radiator repair shop. Al