PDA

View Full Version : Wake Plate Cylender leaking..

1Quickdoo
06-29-2009, 08:56 AM
I have a 04 22SSv, the wake plate stopped working. I checked the fluie level and it is way down, looked around and found the right cylinder is we with oil.
Can seals be replaced? or is it a replacement situation? Last question, do these just unscrew and the hoses have some slack to undo the cylinder?
Thanks,
Tony

mapleleaf
06-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Not sure on the cylinder leak, but curious about the dealer you use for service on your boat???

thescott
06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/parts.php?cID=7

Not sure if the 04 has a bennett trim tab or not, but if so, take a look at their parts website listed above. Mine are leaking right now (slightly) and I checked w/ my dealer. They said you can just unscrew the piston and replace an o-ring and it should be good (of course there is a bit more to it than that). My boat is less than a year old so I'm waiting for one to come from them under warranty. From the site, it sounds like you'd have to buy a piston which comes w/ the O-ring, but it's only $13.13 (see part #21).

Also, when you say you checked the fluid lever and it seems to be quite low, did you have the tab in the down position? The amount of fluid in the reservoir correlates to the position of the plate (although that doesn't really matter if it was WAY down...)

Nothing wrong w/ DIY

1Quickdoo
06-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Not sure on the cylinder leak, but curious about the dealer you use for service on your boat???

I have the marina Wawatosa on our lake (Six Mile Lake) look after my boat, they were a master craft dealer so they work with lots of inboards. I tried to buy some accessories and parts from Muskoka lakes, and was really disapointed. If I hadn't got my friend to check pricing out west, I would have paid DOUBLE from them...
Who do you use?

1Quickdoo
06-29-2009, 10:43 PM
http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/parts.php?cID=7

Not sure if the 04 has a bennett trim tab or not, but if so, take a look at their parts website listed above. Mine are leaking right now (slightly) and I checked w/ my dealer. They said you can just unscrew the piston and replace an o-ring and it should be good (of course there is a bit more to it than that). My boat is less than a year old so I'm waiting for one to come from them under warranty. From the site, it sounds like you'd have to buy a piston which comes w/ the O-ring, but it's only $13.13 (see part #21).

Also, when you say you checked the fluid lever and it seems to be quite low, did you have the tab in the down position? The amount of fluid in the reservoir correlates to the position of the plate (although that doesn't really matter if it was WAY down...)

Nothing wrong w/ DIY

Thanks for your help!! It looks like I have a Bennett system, glad to see I won't have to mortgage the house for this repair...
The fluid is low, and the plate is now all the way up. I saw some oil on the water the one day, thought the boat was just a little rich on start up.. no such luck.
Again, Thanks for the input
Tony

87SunSportMikeyD
06-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks thescott I am having the same problem in my aftermarket trim tabs on my 87 SunSport.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-30-2009, 04:12 PM
I would call Bennett direct. (954)427-1400 It would not surprise me at all for them to replace the cylinder free of charge. They are some GREAT folks to work with.

1Quickdoo
06-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks for that little tid bit... I will make the call, sounds like an easy repair..

1Quickdoo
06-30-2009, 04:56 PM
WOW... Just got off the phone with Bennett, I started to explain the problem and didn't even get a chance to finish, he said that it was an easy repair because of the system the have and to make it even better, they would ship out parts to me (in Canada) at NO CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man, I almost fell on the floor! I wish all companies had that kind of service!
One happy Supra/Bennett owner...........
Appreciate all the input from this Forum as well

DKJBama92Mariah
06-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks for that little tid bit... I will make the call, sounds like an easy repair..

Nothing to it. 5 screws and the hydraulic line. When you install the new cylinder, be sure to use some 5200 between it and the hull to prevent water intrusion.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-30-2009, 04:59 PM
WOW... Just got off the phone with Bennett, I started to explain the problem and didn't even get a chance to finish, he said that it was an easy repair because of the system the have and to make it even better, they would ship out parts to me (in Canada) at NO CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man, I almost fell on the floor! I wish all companies had that kind of service!
One happy Supra/Bennett owner...........
Appreciate all the input from this Forum as well

Awesome news. Bennett rocks.