PDA

View Full Version : 88' Mariah Starting Problem

davidson12
06-29-2009, 10:57 PM
I've been having some trouble starting my boat, here's a description of what's going on:

When turning on the ignition switch to start the engine, I'm getting a clicking sound which seems to be coming from the general area of the starter relay. Generally, I have to turn the key anywhere from 6-12 times before the starter will actually engage. At this point, the battery is strong, and I've tried to replace the ignition switch, neither seem to be the issue. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? I was thinking of getting a new starter relay, but maybe I need to replace the solenoid, as far as I can tell all my wiring connections look solid. Thoughts?

michael hunter
06-30-2009, 12:04 AM
First Welcome to the forum. This is the place to get your answers.
It sounds like a poor connection or bad starter. Do you have any mechanical skill and a good volt meter? First check all connections from the battery to the starter. Then run a voltage drop test at the starter and work your way back. If I lost you remove the starter and take it to Auto Zone for testing ONLY. DO NOT BUY A STARTER THERE. It must be a
marine starter. Have yours rebuilt or try skidim.com Good Luck.

wake beater
06-30-2009, 12:20 AM
bad ground..........

davidson12
06-30-2009, 06:49 AM
First Welcome to the forum. This is the place to get your answers.
It sounds like a poor connection or bad starter. Do you have any mechanical skill and a good volt meter? First check all connections from the battery to the starter. Then run a voltage drop test at the starter and work your way back. If I lost you remove the starter and take it to Auto Zone for testing ONLY. DO NOT BUY A STARTER THERE. It must be a
marine starter. Have yours rebuilt or try skidim.com Good Luck.

Makes sense. I will test the voltage from the starter and work my way backwards from there....

saltare inverts
06-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Happened to me just like that. I replaced starter and replaced connections at battery. I also replaced ignition switch. I would replace starter for sure. One less item to leave you getting the hated tow to dock.

davidson12
06-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Happened to me just like that. I replaced starter and replaced connections at battery. I also replaced ignition switch. I would replace starter for sure. One less item to leave you getting the hated tow to dock.

I just picked up a new solenoid tonight, we will see if that works. If not I will for sure pick up a new starter and try that out. About how much can I expect to drop on a new starter?

Salty87
07-01-2009, 08:37 AM
If not I will for sure pick up a new starter and try that out. About how much can I expect to drop on a new starter?

a new starter is too much. find an automotive electric shop, they can test it and rebuild it if needed. i think i paid about 100 for a rebuild not much more than a year ago.

michael hunter
07-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Stop trying parts and hope it will fix it . Its probably the starter take it to a re builder
and have them test it.

saltare inverts
07-02-2009, 09:18 AM
I agree with Michael.

csuggs
07-02-2009, 09:26 AM
I agree with Michael.

Ditto that.

davidson12
07-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Fixed!

Put on the new solenoid, and everything is back up and running...

87SunSportMikeyD
07-06-2009, 11:03 AM
My starter also had the exact same problem. We tried to rebuild it ourselves but no go. The solenoid would not engage correctly. The starter had been submerged more than a few times and finally gave out. We got a whole new marine starter for I think $75 at Napa auto parts.

-edit - glad you fixed it with just the solenoid! Great! Now lets see some pics of that boat!

davidson12
06-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Long overdue update: It was the solenoid. I got a new one, simply switched it out and it's been working great ever since.