PDA

View Full Version : cold idle....

mapleleaf
06-30-2009, 04:38 PM
boats kinda refusing to idle before she reaches 155 degrees, carb's been rebuilt, points, condensor, rotor, cap.......all done
Is this an idle mixture screw adjustment?, other wise I gotta keep the throttle up and rpm up around 1800-2000 'til she's warm....

Salty87
06-30-2009, 05:00 PM
check yer choke...should be mostly closed with a cold engine. key on, pump the throttle once...it should close.

try closing butterfly with your finger while it's running rough, should smooth out.

Memmer99
06-30-2009, 07:38 PM
I have the exact same problem. I adjusted the idle mixture screws and it seems better but still not perfect. Now I just crank the idle control screw half a turn when its cold. Then when it warms up I just turn it down half a turn. Annoying but it works for now. It just wont fast idle. If you figure it out PLEASE let me know.

mapleleaf
06-30-2009, 07:48 PM
I have the exact same problem. I adjusted the idle mixture screws and it seems better but still not perfect. Now I just crank the idle control screw half a turn when its cold. Then when it warms up I just turn it down half a turn. Annoying but it works for now. It just wont fast idle. If you figure it out PLEASE let me know.

Salty's advice is as good as it gets....I'm gonna mess around with the choke, I'll let cha know......

michael hunter
06-30-2009, 10:09 PM
The idle mixture screws are for fine tuning the fuel mixture when the engine is hot.
You have a choke problem. Check the choke like Salty suggested also check the choke pull off adjustment and the fast idle adjustment. Google Holley adjustment video you should find more info.