PDA

View Full Version : Petronix Electronic Ignition

chautauquasun
07-01-2009, 11:54 AM
So I decided to install my Petronix on Sunday....of course I was trying to do this job between the rain stroms and finally had to quit because of the downpour.

I found that installing it was very easy...really not much to it. However once I had it installed I could not get the boat to fire. I installed it using the counter clockwise position. I also used the plastic rotor that came with the new ignition. I had read in the instructions that maybe the rotor would not work if I didnt have a spring loaded one. Wasnt really sure if I did or didnt so I installed the new rotor which seemed much bigger than the orignial. It would fire...so i changed back to the orignal rotor. Again it would not fire and then my battery died and the rains came so I had to quit.

any ideas? For those that made the converstion to the Petronix

1. Does your distributor rotor turn counter clockwise?
2. Did you use the new rotor that came with it or reinstall the old one?
3. Would the new rotor cause damage to the distributor cap contacts?

Any ideas on what I did wrong with the installation. Like I said it doesnt seem that there is too much mess up in the installation. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Dan

saltare inverts
07-01-2009, 11:08 PM
That happend to me also. I had to unhook a resistor that sits under the plastic housing were the main breaker is on back of motor. The resistor would not let pertonix do its thing.

agetech
07-01-2009, 11:12 PM
The flat rotor is used on older engines, not sure of the years. The spring rotor is the newer style. I think you would have to use the newer cap with the spring rotor. My rotor snapped into the magnetic unit.

csuggs
07-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Dan -
I ended up using the rotor that was with the distributor, not the new one that came with the Pertronix unit. I can't remember why, but I know that's what I did. Also, someone mentioned disconnecting the ballast resistor? I'm pretty certain you need that unless you have an aftermarket coil that has an internal resistor. All I can tell you is how mine is hooked up, and works with no problems. I'm probably not much help diagnosing a problem in this area - sorry. :-(

saltare inverts
07-02-2009, 09:17 AM
The factory Petronix told me to unhook it. It was a 1983 ski naughty with 351 w. It worked great when I did?

csuggs
07-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Go figure -
Sorry I can't be more help, Dan. Maybe the guys at skidim can help.
Clint

chautauquasun
07-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Go figure -
Sorry I can't be more help, Dan. Maybe the guys at skidim can help.
Clint

Sent a note to Ski Dim...did not hear back yet. What does the resistor look like under the cover. I know what you are talking about but have never looked under the cover.

csuggs
07-02-2009, 11:28 AM
The ballast resistor is a white ceramic-looking block and it's under the plastic cover on the back side of intake manifold. If you've not seen it, how did you have it hooked up?

chautauquasun
07-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Hmmm when i hooked up the electronic ingition...i thought I followed the instructions correctly...connected the black to negative terminal on the coil and the red to the positive side of the coil. Did I misread the directions. I dont recall any mention of the ballast resisitor in the instructions.

csuggs
07-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I think my red wire went to the ballast resistor. I'll have to check to be sure which wire it is, but I know that one of them went there.