PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter

chautauquasun
07-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Have any of you guys run into this on your boat. I bought a new fuel filter for mine this year without checking mine. I assumed it was the typical PCM filter. Went to install it this past weekend and found mine is completely different. Mine use the Teleflex Mercury filter (looks exactly like and screws on like an oil filter) sold on SkiDim which is used with the Indimar engines. Anyone else have his set up on their old Supra. Not sure if this was original or if someone modified it later. Not sure why they would modify this set up.

Not a big deal...ordering the new part but was just curious if anyone else had seen this setup.

thanks

87SunSportMikeyD
07-01-2009, 02:21 PM
You got the only one that SkiDIM says is for 351s?? That is what i got... looks like an iol filter but you just take out the single top center bolt and the whole thing falls off then the fuel filter/water seperator is inside.

chautauquasun
07-01-2009, 04:02 PM
You got the only one that SkiDIM says is for 351s?? That is what i got... looks like an iol filter but you just take out the single top center bolt and the whole thing falls off then the fuel filter/water seperator is inside.

No mine is completely different. there is no center bolt to remove. You simply unscrew the filter off just like an oil filter...I found the one that fits on SkiDim...for some reason mine is completely different. Looks like it was for a Mercrusier motor. When I took it off originally I was looking for a way to drop a filter in. It is sealed there is no way to drop one in. Went onto SkiDim with the part numbers and found the right one...which isnt the 351 that everyone's boat uses. Nice thing is I guess is that it is $2.00 cheaper.

Weird...not sure why it would have been changed out. Can really see that part every going bad. Who knows...makes me wonder what other modifications have occurred over its lifetime.

Salty87
07-01-2009, 04:30 PM
i added this to mine...
http://skidim.com/images/0508.jpg

my boat had the old fram filter in a crappy spot. i think the new one is easier but i didn't keep the original one very long.