PDA

View Full Version : temp climbed to 200

mapleleaf
07-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Had to shut the boat down 1/2 an hour ago cuz the temp. went to 200.
Thankfully I was at the dock between rider's...
Gonna let her cool down and go back and see if she heats up too hot again..
Is there anything besides the impellor I should check?
5 min before the overheat my oil pressure gauge wasn't reading and it came back, wondering if this whole mess is something electrical.....
Boat got awful wet in the storm last 2 days........

Salty87
07-01-2009, 03:10 PM
have a sea strainer? if not, check the transmission cooler intake too.

check your exhaust hoses, they can blister and worse. 200 isn't too bad unless it's happened a few times.

might be the belt too.

Montgomery
07-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Mine did that a few times when I 1st got it and then I found out someone had put a thermostat for a 91 Bronco in it which didn't work too well

mapleleaf
07-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Impellor's in great shape, gonna reinstall, check the transcooler, I guess for a clog, run it and keep my hand behind the riser on the manifold to feel it for heat, I've been told I should be able to keep my hand there for a while if it's not overheating...
Still not sure that it wasn't just the gauge acting funny, since the oil pressure gauge did the same thing a minute earlier...I did have another( happened last year too) problem with water getting in the boat......(my fault)

mapleleaf
07-02-2009, 09:58 PM
So temp. situation back under control, pretty sure it was the gauge, now the oil gauge is doing it again, boat runs solid at 155 degrees, checked the oil and it's good, just the gauge is intermittant...Could it still be wetness messing with them do to my storm damage (water)??
Both gauges today were cloudy with condensation.....
Not trying to confuse two seperate issues they're just happening at the same time it seems....

saltare inverts
07-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Gauges need to dry Im guessing. I had to replace a couple gauges, doing same thing. You can buy a whole set of actual Supra gauges at great lakes skipper for the cost of about to or three gauges. The set has everything. I keep thinking of replacing mine. The sets have supra on them and new white background. Atleast they did last time I looked.

csuggs
07-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Gauges need to dry Im guessing. I had to replace a couple gauges, doing same thing. You can buy a whole set of actual Supra gauges at great lakes skipper for the cost of about to or three gauges. The set has everything. I keep thinking of replacing mine. The sets have supra on them and new white background. Atleast they did last time I looked.

I agree - sounds to me like things need to dry out. Maybe you could place a small fan behind the dash to help with that. I've seen the gauges at Great Lakes Skipper - they are pretty cool. When I had to replace my tach last season and both speedos this season I went with the Teleflex Lido Series gauge. They are white background with red needle and chrome bezel. Also they are fog proof. I plan to replace the other OEM gauges with the same Lidos later this year as I find them on ebay or at some other discounted place.

mapleleaf
07-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Yeah, it's the piece of mind they provide, would love to see the oil pressure gauge working again today....
If I do have a cooling problem, it's not the transcooler or impellor, I had a small leak at the impellor after putting it back in, so I know the water's there, thermostat would be next I guess..
Oil pressure is something I don't know how to troubleshoot yet, but am pretty sure the gauge is acting up since it's working intermittantly...

87SunSportMikeyD
07-03-2009, 11:45 AM
oooooh those look so slick!

mapleleaf
07-03-2009, 10:28 PM
The oil gauge may not be the problem, it may be the oil pressure, is it ok to be running at 3-5 psi when the boats warm?
The pressure seems to drop there after about a half hour, didn't want to run it too much longer, I remember there being more fluctuation with the pressure following the rpm band....