PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat cracks

Bryan
01-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Has anyone had major fiberglass cracks? It seems to have gotten worse over night. I counted 23 different areas most drastic is around the tower supports, swim step brackets and under the playpen.
Has anyone had these repaired under warrente and they did not come back.
I understand this is caused by pulling the boat from the mold to soon?

H2Oman
01-06-2004, 11:31 PM
I have had cracks in all of the locations you have mentioned. I had them repaired and they returned soon after. Loose nuts caused the cracks at the tower mounts. I tightened the nuts and put a second nut on each through bolt to keep it tight. The swim platform mount cracks have stopped after a few inches. The bolts were tight. I am not sure why that happened. The cracks in the playpen are at the corners and bends of the support structure and have not grown in length.

The gel coat seems to crack easily if any sharp pressure, over tightened screws, improper countersink, and torsion is experienced. When I see a crack begin to appear I use a very small drill bit and tap into the end of the crack and that stops it from growing until I can get it repaired. I thought this was common for all boats. Skier’s Choice was very helpful when I contacted them. Good luck with yours.

Bryan
01-07-2004, 12:45 PM
H2O, It sounds like we are going to live with the cracking forever, is the repair work going to be covered under the lifetime warranty each time? How long are you with out your boat each time?

H2Oman
01-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Yes, I believe that all boats get cracks somewhere in the gel coat. Some day I will have the gel coat sanded down to the fiberglass to check if the crack is in the fiberglass. If it is I am sure that Skier’s Choice will cover it. If not I will have the gel coat re-sprayed to try to remove the cracks and restore the factory quality finish.

I was informed that the gel coat cracks are not covered under the lifetime warranty. The warranty covers the fiberglass under the gel coat. The boat was at the shop for about a week for the repairs.