PDA

View Full Version : Damper Needs Replacing?????

87SupraCompMN
07-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Hello, I have a 1987 Supra Ts6M. There has been a vibration and and a clunking noise since I had it in the water last summer. I took the tranny out and rebuilt it with a warner borg kit and replaced 2 bearings. Put it back in and had the same result. I thought then the shaft was bent so I went out and picked one up and put it in....with the same result. One top of being out of money I'm running out of ideas. Could this be a bad damper plate? When the boat is in nuetral you can feel the vibration when you touch the shaft...its not bad but its there. I can also hear something in the tranny somewhere that sounds like something is trying to grab. When I give the boat gas the vibration stops along with the noise. The prop is in good shape so its not that. Can anyone help me here....I'm all out of ideas and I really don't feel like replacing another part that doesn't need replacing.

mapleleaf
07-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Notsure of the correct term for the prop shaft "skeg" just before the prop, but I noticed mine has 2 set screws.....could it be vibrating there underwater????Not noticed while you're moving, cuz of water rushing by??????

DKJBama92Mariah
07-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Notsure of the correct term for the prop shaft "skeg" just before the prop

It's called a strut ;)

87Comp,
Man I'm sorry you're having such a hard time tracking this down. The motor itself and the damper are just about all you've got left. All I know to tell you is to pull the tranny again and run the motor and see if it stops then.

Good luck and welcome old boat ownership, I think we can safely say now that your cherry has been officially popped.

Cheers and have a happy (and safe) 4th,
DKJ

rickr
07-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Vibration is in gear, in the water at low RPMs?
Did you replace the cutlass bearings in the strut? Check the strut bolts?