PDA

View Full Version : Surfboard Rack

TayTay
07-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I have a surfboard but rarely take it out becuase I dont have anywhere to put it. Does anybody have a Surfboard Rack solution that does not hinder me putting my tower down to fit it in the garage. I was looking at the rack from DIY Wake. Its $140 bucks plus shipping. Anybody else have any good resources to deals on racks? Thanks for the info!

Fman
07-03-2009, 12:39 PM
If you can dish out some more cash, the Z5 cargo rack is awesome. It will hold up 6 surfboards and or 2/3 kneeboards plus a tube. Only downfall is they run about $2,400. They are rock solid and well built.

Be careful putting your surfboards in "racks", if they are not properly padded you can wear a groove into the board from the vibration and bouncing of the boat.

TayTay
07-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Ya, I dont have the cash for a Z5 cargo rack right now. I dont understand why they are so spendy. The racks I was looking at have the rubber insert so that should protect it a little bit but I understand what you are saying about it bouncing around. This was the one I was looking at: http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=568

saltare inverts
07-03-2009, 06:44 PM
2400 hundred for a rack? Do you have to get insurance on it. Yes I know they are absolutly sweet and take some time to make. Somebody post detailed pics of one please. I want to build some. Sell them here. I am not kidding. Whos wants prototype?

Fman
07-03-2009, 07:46 PM
The Z5 cargo is definitely pricey, but I will say should last as long or longer than the boat itself. Another great feature about the Z5 is you can stand up under the bimini without hunching over (I am 6' 1"). The rack is completely stainless and aluminum, and the bimini is sunbrella material. After having one on my boat I cant imagine life without one. Especially for carying multiple items on your boat.

mapleleaf
07-03-2009, 10:22 PM
I'll take the prototype, but I it should be called the brototype...

TayTay
07-04-2009, 08:50 AM
I would take a prototype. I am not very familiar with them but it sounds like they are pretty sturdy. How are they attached? I put my boat in the garage everyday so I have to take down my tower. Does the Z5 hinder that ability?

Fman
07-04-2009, 01:08 PM
The Z5 pops off with 4 pins, its a little bit of a pain at first to manuever, but I have it down now. I too have to colapse my tower to fit in my garage, so every time I have to remove my Z5. I can now do this with nobody else helping. I made a bracket in my garage to hang the Z5 above my boat, it works real nice.

Here is there website with a Z5 on a Supra www.z5sportracks.com, logon and check them out. With the economy bad right now, he might be willing to make you a better deal on one.

TayTay
07-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Does anybody know of a better deal out there??? This is gonna be 160.00 shipped. Check it out and let me know. I need a surfboard rack!

http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=568

Thanks again

Anthony

KY Steve
07-06-2009, 09:17 AM
I use a thin surf board that fits in my stock rack perfect, you can buy one for about the price of that rack and then sell your other board on ebay. Problem solved with very little out of pocket. ;)

RED WINE ROCKER
07-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I have stock roswells on mine & i pulled out the rubber gasket on ONE slot and now thats my dedicated wakesurf / wake skate rack...everyrthing fits fine....no gasket to protect said boards but....hell every 2-3 years i get a new skate anyway!....and beat up boards seem to be in "fashion" anyway?!?

87SunSportMikeyD
07-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Tay - After a bad purchase I always require my racks to be quick disconnect for removal, and must have a rubber collar to protect the tower from getting scratched. Be sure the rack will meet your needs before purchasing.

What kind of surfboards are you riding? Any thin epoxy surfers or the Hyperlite Broadcast will fit in a normal wakeboard rack such as the Monster rack. The trick is that the rubber inserts have a little rubber 'tab' that sticks out to stop wakeboard from vibrating in the rack. This will tear your footpadding on the surfboard. The solution is to cut off the tabs on one of the board slots to fit a surfer. Very simple.

The Monster Surf Rack is also great and it has a 5 year warranty.

There are a couple of double surf racks out there, check onlyinboards.com. Just make sure it has quick disconnect and rubber collar to protect tower!

TayTay
07-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I ride the CWB Ride. It isnt too thick. It just barely doesnt fit in the rack. I will check out monsters. I remember thos ones being a lot more expensive though. I will check it. Thanks for the info.

jonyb
07-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Roswell has a set of tines that you can replace the OEM tines with, that allow for 1 surfboard, and 1 wakeboard. I talked to Scott on Friday and he said they're backordered, but expected them soon. No price though, no one has called me back about that.

Sluggo
07-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Please let us know what they want for those replacement tines, I might be interested in that solution as well.

Dave

TayTay
07-06-2009, 10:24 PM
That sounds awesome. It would work pretty good. I am guessing its going to be a pretty penny. We will see what happens though. I will call them tomorrow and see if I can get some more information too. Hit em from two angles. Thanks for the info Jony!

jonyb
07-06-2009, 10:39 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid='1889'

http://www.wakeworld.com/wwimages/news/2008/roswell6.jpg

www.roswellwakeair.com

Fman
07-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Roswell has a set of tines that you can replace the OEM tines with, that allow for 1 surfboard, and 1 wakeboard. I talked to Scott on Friday and he said they're backordered, but expected them soon. No price though, no one has called me back about that.

Jony,

Dont you have a Z5 on your boat? That will hold 3 surfboards with no problems. Other day I had three surfboards, 2 kneeboards, and a 3 person tube on the Z5.. worked great.

jonyb
07-07-2009, 05:15 AM
I do have the Z5, but I'd rather carry my surfboard on a rack on the side instead. Might wanna leave the Z5 at home sometime.

Ed G
07-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I paid $70 for my wakesurf/knee board rack. It will easily hold two inland surfer boards.

It doesn't come with the C-clamps or a bungee strap, but your stock clamps from an XTP wakeboard rack will fit. Bungee cord is $2 a foot.

Check out the wakesurf forum on the Moomba boards for photos and link to vendor

TayTay
07-10-2009, 09:52 AM
So I talked to Roswell and they DO have those tines in stock but they are, if I remember correctly, 280 bucks?? Might have been 230, I talked to them a few days ago. Regardless they are spendy. That is for one set of tines only. So I could get a second rack for less. The monster rack mikey suggested is 180 I think and that is a quick disconnect or the one from DIY wake is like 130. I just dont know what to do!! I really need a rack though because we took the surfboard out the other and it was REALLY in the way.

Ed G
07-10-2009, 11:21 AM
racks

http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=580

TayTay
07-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I will have to measure and see if that will fit. Does anybody know off hand if they will? Also, if I went with those then I would be out the two wakeboard racks on the side. Might not be horrible but who knows, may have more wakeboards in the future...

Ed G
07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
if you have the same horizontal bars on your tower that I have on my factory XTP Moomba tower, it will fit.

You can get the c-clamps from XTP for $45.

I drilled holes in the end of the arms to attach the bungee cord. Same set up as the wakeboard rack bungee.

TayTay
07-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I dont have any horizontal bars...

Ed G
07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
mount 'em to the plate your current racks are on.

The spacing between holes on the surfboard rack is 1.75" and I bet your current racks are too.

TayTay
07-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Ya that could be. I am at work right now but I will measure tonight when I get home. Thanks for all the info Ed!