PDA

View Full Version : Walters Vdrive oil change/'08 22V

Fman
07-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Has anyone done a transmission oil change on there Walters Vdrive (with ATF). Not sure what model I have but I know it takes ATF. Heard all you do is suck all the oil out through the dipstick hole and re-fill? someone else mentioned there is a strainer that needs to be cleaned?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks...

Engine Nut
07-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Has anyone done a transmission oil change on there Walters Vdrive (with ATF). Not sure what model I have but I know it takes ATF. Heard all you do is suck all the oil out through the dipstick hole and re-fill? someone else mentioned there is a strainer that needs to be cleaned?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks...

Don't put ATF in the Walter unit.It takes straight 30W motor oil. The shifting transmission that the Walter V-drive attaches to takes ATF. ATF in the Walter unit will be detrimental to its life.

FoiltechLaunch21V
07-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Mine also uses 30w motor oil.

Fman
07-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Sorry, my bad... I was referring to the transmission oil, not the v-drive. I did not realize the V-drive unit was seperate from the transmission.

Regarding the transmission, is the best way just to pump out the fluid through the dipstick hole and replace? any filters to replace?

And the V-drive, where would I remove the 30w oil from?

Thanks for any input, much appreciated.

thescott
07-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I posed the same question to Indmar and Larry responded w/ the following:

"Besides the Operator’s manual for the engine, you should have received an operator’s manual for the ZF transmission and one for the Walter V-drive. The procedures for changing the oil in those units is in their respective manuals. On the ZF procedure, I would recommend that you suck the oil out through the dipstick hole instead of draining through the filter plate. That filter plate is almost impossible to get to."

I have .pdf's from both the Walters manual and the ZF manual that explain changing out the oil. If you PM me, I'll email them both to you.

I wound up using a pump to suck out the fluid from both. There is a screened filter thing on the V-drive you'll pull out and clean. Apparently, as noted above by larry, the filter on the tranny is near impossible to get to if you DIY.

Fman
07-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I just changed the tranny fluid today, pumped it out and replaced what I took out. I did not remove or clean any filter. The manual pretty much is a joke they give you. I know the V-drive is a 30w oil drain and refill, about 2 pints. I removed about 1.75 qts from the transmission, Supra manual says it holds 2 qts. Might be impossible to remove it all. I think I am going to do the transmission fluid change at every oil change, its super easy and wont hurt anything.

If you find out how to remove and clean the filter please let me know. I am curious if the dealership actually removes and cleans the filter. Seeing as they told me I did not need to do a tranny fluid change on my 20 hour service and wait until 100 hours and the manual says at 25 hours and 100 hours after/annually. I would be surprised if they do the filter clean. I guess a trans fluid change at 58 hours is better than 100. If I drain and refill the transmission at every 50 hours, that is more than most will do and it should be plenty sufficient. At least thats my thought...

Thanks

Fishman
08-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Good job on the trans job Fman. I was just reading my zf manual last night and I'm going to attempt to do the fluid change. As you probably know, the maunal recommends remmoving the filter cover which is upside down under the tranny. I assume the fluid will start pouring out the second this is removed. The filter you are talking about is a screen which sits inside this compartment.

I understand you consern about cleaning this screen. The manual tells you to do this for a reason, I'm sure, but the only way to get to the screen is to do the fluid change the way the manual says to do it...and it really does look like it's tough to get to...(Although I need to go take a look). Seems like any metal shavings that are in your tranny would collect at the bottom of the tranny or on this screen. (Keep in mind, I am not a gearhead I these are just my thoughts.)

So anyone out there know how important it is to clean the screen on a tranny fluid change?

Fman, couple questions:

What type of pump did you use and where did you get it? (I am thinking about getting a handpump but you may talk me out of it)

What type of fluid did you use? I've seen on other threads guys are going to synthetics.

Was it pretty easy to go though the dipstick?

Thanks, Fish

Fishman
08-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Just finished the trans fluid change. I went and bought a $20 transfer pump at Carquest. it worked great. My son pumped while I moved the small hose around to find the fluid...pumped it into milk jug which worked really good, because we go absolutely no splatter anywhere but in the jug.

Couple of questions outstanding though:

1. If you pump out the dipstick, you never get the screen cleaned..(I emailed thescott to see if he could contact his contact at Indamar and get an answer). How big of deal is this?

2. Is ATF the same as same as the Dextron, Mercom fluid? If not what is ATF? OK, right after I wrote this I just figured out that atf is probably Automatic Trans. Fluid....

I am really getting into DIY boat maintainence. Thanks to all who have helped me...this bulletin board has been invaluable and I really understand my boat a whole lot better now.

Fman
08-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Just finished the trans fluid change. I went and bought a $20 transfer pump at Carquest. it worked great. My son pumped while I moved the small hose around to find the fluid...pumped it into milk jug which worked really good, because we go absolutely no splatter anywhere but in the jug.

Couple of questions outstanding though:

1. If you pump out the dipstick, you never get the screen cleaned..(I emailed thescott to see if he could contact his contact at Indamar and get an answer). How big of deal is this?

2. Is ATF the same as same as the Dextron, Mercom fluid? If not what is ATF? OK, right after I wrote this I just figured out that atf is probably Automatic Trans. Fluid....

I am really getting into DIY boat maintainence. Thanks to all who have helped me...this bulletin board has been invaluable and I really understand my boat a whole lot better now.

As it turns out, my transmission does not have a filter to clean. Hurth made a couple different versions, some with screens and some without. My version does not have a screen. Its a simple fluid exchange, 2 qts of ATF Dextron III is what they recommend. I am going to change it at ever 100 hour interval, its cheap and only takes about 15 minutes.

And yes, ATF is automatic trans. fluid, just make sure you use the recommended Dextron III. I am using Valvoline ATF.